Showing 847 results

People, organizations, and families

2001: Coming of Age in Canada Conference

  • Corporate body

The 2001: Coming of Age in Canada Conference was held at Trent University from June 3-6, 1977. Planning started in 1974 or 1975. The conference covered a number of issues regarding concerns for the aged who by the year 2001 would make up 12 percent of Canada's population. The Conference was established to discuss the concerns such as implications for universities and colleges, businesses and industries. The Conference presented social, political, economical, cultural and educational points of view to be discussed by the attendees such as whether these institutions would be able to cope with an old population instead of the younger population of the day.

57th Regiment, Peterborough Rangers

  • Corporate body

The 57th Batallion of Infantry was gazetted in 1867. In total, seven independent companies were amalgamated: three from Peterborough; one each from Ashburnham, Lakefield, Norwood, and Hastings. In May 1886, the companies stationed at Ashburnham, Keene, Norwood, and Hastings were moved to Peterborough, and the Battalion henceforth was viewed by the public as a city, not a country, unit. By General Order 105, 1900, the Battalion was designated as the 57th Regiment, Peterborough Rangers. In World War I, its members on Active Service took part in various C.E.F. Battalions. Upon reorganization in August 1920, the designation "Peterborough Rangers" was maintained. A more general reorganization of the militia occurred in 1936, where the 3rd Prince of Wales Canadian Dragoons, the 57th Peterborough Rangers, and 'C' Company of the 4th Canadian Machine Gun Battalion were amalgamated to form the Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment). In June 1940, the Regiment was authorized to mobilize `Headquarters Company' for service with the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders of the 3rd Division. In August 1940, men were taken for the Active Service Force. Another mobilization for active service followed in 1942. As part of this, (May 14, 1942) the 1st Battalion went to Niagara-on-the-Lake, and thence, in June 1942, to British Columbia, and to Europe in 1944 as a reinforcement Battalion. Following the end of World War II, the 2nd Battalion was deactivated, and the 1st Battalion resumed its role as a militia unit. In 1947, the Regiment ceased to exist as an infantry unit, and became part of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, being designated as the 50th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Prince of Wales Rangers, Royal Canadian Artillery. Further adjustments and reorganization ensued. On August 22, 1955, it became the 50th Medium Anti-Aircraft Regiment (the Prince of Wales Rangers), and on June 6, 1960, was reorganized and designated as the 50th Field Artillery Regiment, Prince of Wales Rangers, Royal Canadian Artillery, being equipped with the Mm. Howitzer. On July 6, 1960, the 45th Field Battalion from Lindsay was attached to the Peterborough unit; on December 16, 1964, the 14th Field Battery was amalgamated with the unit. As of March 31, 1970, the regiment was reduced to NIL strength, and was transferred to the Supplementary order of Battle.

A. Jeffrey & Son

  • Corporate body

Andrew Jeffrey was a long term resident of Cobourg, Canada West. He is mentioned in the book "Cobourg Early Days and Modern Times" as being nominated as an elder of the Presbyterian Church in 1827. He was elected to the Board of Police in 1837 after the town became incorporated. In the same year, as a member of the Board of Trade, he and other merchants decided to close their businesses at 7 pm from December 22, 1837 to April, 1838 in order to have the benefits that businessmen in Toronto and Montreal enjoyed.

Jeffrey was a councillor in 1851 and Mayor in 1852. He kept a private school at the corner of King and D'Arcy Streets. Throughout this time he ran a Foundry and later a Hardware Store. Cobourg has named a street after A. Jeffrey. In 1853 A. Jeffrey had his son-in-law, Robert Kingan, open a branch store in Peterborough.

Aboriginal Strategy Circle in the Kawarthas

The Aboriginal Strategy Circle in the Kawarthas (ASCK) evolved from the Urban Aboriginal Strategy Circle (UASC) which was formed in the spring of 2005. UASC was brought together by the local Aboriginal organization, Whitepath Consulting and Counselling Services, and was comprised of such members as Trent University Native Studies Department, the Ontario Metis Aboriginal Association, Peterborough Social Planning Council, and other organizations. ASCK was focused on identifying the needs of Aboriginal Peoples in the Peterborough and Kawarthas area. The goals of ASCK are listed as follows:

  • To provide opportunities for Aboriginal people to share their thoughts, ideas, experience and opinions that could affect positive change in the future
  • To strengthen and support the capacity of current and developing Aboriginal organizations through partnerships and training
  • To facilitate communication and provide information-sharing among Aboriginal organizations and to advise City and County service providers on how best to support Aboriginal people
  • To research, prepare and provide educational information on topics related to the issues identified through consultation with Aboriginal people
  • To develop a fund and criteria for long-term projects and/or needs of Aboriginal people.

Academic Skills Centre

  • Corporate body

Academic Skills Centre Director
1995-1999 Karen Taylor
1999-2000 Peter Lapp (acting)
2000-2002 Karen Taylor
2002-2008 Martin Boyne

Academic Skills and Career Centres Director
2008-2011 Kristi Kerford
2011-2012 Angie Silverberg (Acting)
2012- 2015 Kristi Kerford

Ad Hoc Committee to Save Algonquin Park

The Ad Hoc Committee to Save Algonquin Park was formed in response to the 1991 announcement by the Ontario Minister of Natural Resources that Algonquin Park would be opened to "unlimited recreational hunting and fishing and unlimited access by trucks, ATV's and snowmobiles to the over 1,000 members of the Golden Lake Indian band." (taken from Bulletin #1, June 15, 1991).

Adams, William Peter

  • VIAF ID: 50841983
  • Person
  • 1936-

William Peter Adams was born in the United Kingdom in 1936, earned his B.A. at the University of Sheffield, and his M.Sc. and Ph.D. at McGill University. He is married, has four children, and lives in Peterborough. He was founder of the Department of Geography at Trent University. He was chair in that Department from 1968-1977 and remained a professor while also serving as Dean of Graduate Studies, Associate Dean of Science, Associate Vice-President, 1977-1987. He was elected M.P.P. for Peterborough, 1987-1990, and elected to the House of Commons in 1993 where he is currently serving. He has published numerous articles on the Canadian Arctic, on the environment and other geographical topics, and has written and co-authored books in the same field. He has also been significantly involved in health issues, sports and athletics.

Adamson, Janet

  • Person

Janet Adamson, along with her husband Brian, purchased Camp Gay Venture in 1973. The previous owner was Robin Patterson who directed the camp from 1960-1973. Her father, Reverend John Hoyle, started the camp in 1946. Janet Adamson owned the camp until 2002 when it was sold. Janet Adamson's philosophy of non-competition was geared to building the confidence of every girl. Janet graduated from York University and worked for the Government Department of Manpower and Emigration before buying Camp Gay Venture. She has served as President of the Ontario Camping Association and on the Board of the Society of Camp Directors.

Addison family

  • Family

The Addison family members are descendants of Mark Robinson, Ranger and Superintendent of Algonquin Park from 1907-1936. Ottelyn Addison is the daughter of Mark Robinson, and was born in 1909. Her children are William D. Addison, Peter M. Addison, and Edward M. Addison. Ottelyn spent her childhood summers in Algonquin Park, and has written two books about Algonquin Park, "Early Days in Algonquin Park", and "Tom Thomson, The Algonquin Years". She was also editor of "The Young Naturalist" and "The Richmond Hill Naturalist Bulletin". Ottelyn currently lives in Aurora, Ontario.

Aikenhead Hardware Company

  • Corporate body

In 1830 a new hardware store, also known as an ironmongery, was opened on the north-east corner of King and Yonge Streets in York (now Toronto), known as Ridout's Hardware Store. In 1845 a Board of Trade was organized and George P. Ridout was named its first president.

In 1845, James Aikenhead joined the firm of Ridout Bros. & Co. In 1868 James Aikenhead became a member of the firm which at this point was renamed to Ridout, Aikenhead and Crombie. On September 1, 1873 James' son Thomas E. Aikenhead started to serve a five year apprenticeship with Mrs. Ridout, Aikenhead and Crombie. In 1891 Ridout, Aikenhead and Crombie sold their lease on the corner of King and Yonge Streets and moved to Adelaide Street East. In 1893 Thomas E. Aikenhead purchased the business and it became known as Aikenhead Hardware Co.

In 1901, the business was reorganized as a limited stock company known as Aikenhead Hardware Limited. By 1930 Aikenhead Hardware Limited was situated on Temperance Street and had been there since 1905. By this point in time the business had six floors of merchandise and a warehouse for stock. It sold everything from tacks to tractors to cutlery and locks. In 1937 the company started to open branch stores in different communities in the Toronto area. They later expanded to the greater Toronto area and outside of it to such communities as Burlington, St. Catharines, Kitchener, Dundas, Markham and Sudbury. James T.E. Aikenhead, son of Thomas E. Aikenhead, joined the company in 1911 and took over from his father in 1944 as president. He died suddenly in 1948 and his brother J. Wilfred Aikenhead took over the presidency which he was still holding in 1969. In 1965 Aikenheads's purchased the hardware chain of Russell Hardware Company Limited and continued to expand.

By 1996, Aikenhead Hardware Limited was known as Aikenheads Improvement Warehouse Inc. with its corporate office located on Ellesmere in Toronto and stores located in Scarborough, Markham, Woodbridge, Brampton and Oakville.

Allen-Bellamy family

  • Family

Kenneth Charles Bellamy was born in 1919 in Cramahe Township, Northumberland County, the youngest son of Charles and Olive Bellamy (nee Bland). The Charles Bellamy family lived in the Smithfield/Brighton, Ontario area. Charles owned a farm in Salem, Ontario in his later years and in his younger years, worked for the Grand Trunk Railway as a brakeman. In 1938, Ken joined the Canadian Armed Forces and served overseas in World War II with the Midland Regiment, Hastings Prince Edward Regiment and the Essex Scottish regiment. Upon returning home, he married Ruth Catherine Allen. Over his career, he worked on the family farm, for the Department of Highways, and with Marbon Chemical Corporation in Cobourg, Ontario.

Ruth Catherine Allen was born in 1918 in Cramahe Township, the daughter of Durwood and Beatrice Allen (nee Hennessey). The Durwood Allen family lived on a farm in the Castleton, Ontario area. Ruth attended Peterborough Normal School in 1938 attaining her Teachers Certificate. During the course of her teaching career she taught in Morganston, Frankford, Napanee and South Cramahe Public Schools.

Ruth and Kenneth married 30 June 1947 in Brighton, Ontario. They had two daughters, Mary Margaret and Kathryn Ann, and lived in the community of Salem. After Ruth’s death in 1979, Ken married Joyce Blakley. Joyce died in 1985 and Ken in 2007. (Taken from information supplied by the donor).

Alternatives

  • Corporate body
  • 1971

Alternatives was an environmental policy magazine published at Trent between 1971 and 1983. In 1983 the University of Waterloo took over the publication. At Trent University it was published quarterly by the students and faculty. The purpose of the magazine was to confront the implications the environmental crisis had for economic structures, living habits and political processes etc. At the same time, the magazine wanted to pose and confirm the questions by offering imaginative and serious solutions.

Anderson, Captain Thomas Gummersall

  • Person
  • 1779-1875

Captain Thomas Gummersall Anderson, Superintendent of Indian Affairs (1830-1845), was born at Sorel, Quebec, on November 12, 1779, the son of Captain Samuel Anderson, of the Royal Regiment of New York. His first wife was Mar-pi-ya-ro-to-win (Grey Cloud), a descendent of Sioux Chief Wahpasha, and they had three children; his second wife was Elizabeth Ann Hamilton (1796-1858). After serving an apprenticeship with a merchant at Kingston, Upper Canada, he went into the fur trade at Michilimackinac; and in 1814 was in command of a party of volunteers that re-took Prairie-du Chien from the Americans. After the War he was appointed as an officer of the Indian Department, with the rank of Captain. He was stationed in turn at Drummond Island, Penetanguishene, Coldwater, and Manitoulin Island. In 1845 he succeeded Colonel S.P. Jarvis as Superintendent of Indian Affairs for Canada West; and he held this post until his retirement in 1858. He died at Port Hope on February 10, 1875.

Anderson, Joyce

  • Person

Joyce Anderson (nee Grant) was born 13 May 1938 in Bobcaygeon, Ontario. She married Douglas Anderson in 1960 and they lived in Bobcaygeon on their farm, “Sunnybreeze,” The Andersons had two children, Kim and Mark. Joyce Anderson worked as a music and piano teacher. Her mother was a Cairnduff.

Annapolis Royal

  • Corporate body

Annapolis Royal (Port Royal) in Nova Scotia is the site of the first European settlement in Canada. It was settled three years before Quebec City in Quebec and two years before Virginia in the United States. A settlement was established in 1605 in the Annopolis Basin by the French. At first it consisted of a wooden palisade, a few small huts or homes and a church. A Governor's house was added to the fort and buildings for munitions and military personnel. Most of the settlers lived outside of the fort area. Eventually the fort was rebuilt of earth and then stone. By 1671 there were approximately 68 families living in Annapolis Royal and by 1686 the population had reached 231 civilians. By arms or treaty the settlement changed hands between the French and the English a total of seven times. In 1710 the English captured Annapolis Royal for the last time. The Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 had the French give her possessions of Acadia and Newfoundland to the Crown of Britain forever. In 1710 Annapolis Royal had been captured by General Nicholas who was later to become the Governor of all of Nova Scotia in 1714. Annapolis Royal was governed by Colonel Vetch of the 1710 war. In 1714 the Queen encouraged Governor Francis Nicholson to allow the French residents to retain their land and tenements or to sell their land. English settlement was encouraged. In 1719 Colonel Phillips replaced Governor Nicolson. By 1720 there were approximately 12 English families living in Annapolis Royal near the fort. (Taken from: MacVicar, W.M. "A Short History of Annapolis Royal, the Port Royal of the French..." Toronto: The Copp, Clark Company, Limited, 1897. microfiche CIHM 09502.)

Annett, Robert

  • Person

Professor Robert (Bob) Annett became a member of the Chemistry Department of Trent University in 1968 and remained a member until his death in 1998. His interests included clinical and theoretical research in enzymology. Professor Annett was senior tutor of Otonabee College for four years, and later became Master of the College. He served on the editorial boards of scientific journals and was active on many University committees. Professor Annett died on July 29th, 1998. (taken from TUFA Times, February 1999)

Arbor Theatre

  • Corporate body

Arbor Theatre began in Peterborough in 1976 when John Plank arrived to direct "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds" for the Peterborough Theatre Guild. The following year, local support led to the creation of Arbor Productions and John Plank directed "Private Lives" followed by "Belle of Amherst" and "Lady Audley's Secret" in 1978. In 1979 the group was reorganized as a professional theatre company performing during the summer season at Trent University's Wenjack Theatre.

Arbor Theatre Schedule of Plays, 1977-1990

1977:

"Private Lives" by Noel Coward, Aug.11-21; directed by John Plank; set by Richard Hayman; costumes Janice Lindsay; starring Cynthia Long, Ron Young, Bill Jordan, Margot Hull, Jan Stirling

1978:

"The Belle of Amherst" by William Luce, Jan.26-29; directed by John Plank; design Janice Lindsay; starring Margot Hull

1978:

"Lady Audley's Secret" Aug. 1-13; directed by John Plank; design Janice Lindsay; starring Graham Hart, William Crane, Bill Jordan, Rosemary Sidorko, Margot Hull, Kate Cairns, Paul Morgan

1979:

"Same Time Next Year" by Bernard Slade, Jul. 10-22; directed by John Plank; design Janice Lindsay; starring Ken James and Sheila Junor-Moore

"Sleuth" by Anthony Shaffer, Jul. 24-Aug. 5; directed by John Plank; design Janice Lindsay; starring Neil Vipond, Art Burns, Philip Farrell, Ivan Newman, Roger Prunell

"A Life in the Theatre" by David Mamet, Aug. 7-19; directed by John Plank; set Roy Robitschek; costumes Janice Lindsay; starring Larry Lewis, Neil Vipond, Rob McRae

"Billy Bishop Goes To War" by John Gray, Aug. 21-Sept. 2; directed by John Gray; design Paul Williams; starring Eric Peterson; piano John Gray

1980:

"The Star Spangled Girl" by Neil Simon, July 8-19; directed by John Plank; design Roy Robitschek; starring Peter Dvorsky, Robert Searle, Rosemary Dunsmore

"Waiting For the Parade" by John Murrell, July 22-Aug.2; directed by Christopher Covert; design Roy Robitschek; starring Mary-Ann Coles, Rosemary Dunsmore, Margot Finley, Jacquie Presly, Ruth White

"A Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennessee Williams, Aug.5-16; directed by John Plank; design Barbara Matis; starring Nancy Beatty, Marcus Bruce, Mary-Ann Coles, Rosemary Dunsmore, Paul-Emile Frappier, Fred Lynch, Tim Saukiavicus, Robert Searle, Ann Stirling, John Wiseman

"The Drunkard" by W.H. Smith, Aug.19-31; directed by John Plank; design Barbara Matis; starring Nancy Beatty, Paul-Emile Frappier, Lynda Langford, Libbi McTavish, Paul Mason, Tim Saukiavicus, Robert Searle

1981:

"The Last of the Red Hot Lovers" by Neil Simon, June 23-Jul.11; directed by John Plank; set art Penson; costumes Janice Lindsay; starring Paul-Emile Frappier, Heather Ritchie, Paula Barrett, Helen Hughes

"Night Must Fall" by Emlyn Williams, Jul.14-25; directed by William Lane; set Art Penson; costumes Janice Lindsay; starring Helen Hughes, Nancy Beatty, Paul-Emile Frappier, Ruth White, Shirley Josephs, Paula Barrett, Anthony Parr, Robert Searle

"Equus" by Peter Shaffer, Jul.28-Aug.15; directed by John Plank; design Art Penson; starring John Gilbert, Nicholas Bowrin, Ellen McDermid, Heather Ritchie, Anthony Parr, Shirley Josephs, Robert Searle, Bill Jordan, Gaye Burgess, Paul Dagg, Gregory Ellwand, Christopher Greaves, Paul Ibey, Daniel Woods

"Dames At Sea" book and lyrics by George Haimsohn and Robin Miller, music by Jim Wise, Aug. 18-29; directed by John Plank; design Art Penson; starring Mary Trainer, Patti James, Ralph Small, Gaye Burgess, Blaine Parker, David McCann

1982:

"Two for the Seesaw" by William Gibson, June 17-Jul.3; directed by John Plank; design Janice Lindsay; starring Richard Blackburn, Sheila McCarthy

"I'll Be Back Before Midnight" by Peter Colley, July 8-24; directed by Simon Johnston; design Janice Lindsay; starring Ron White, Gaye Burgess, Patrick McFadden, Deborah Grover

"Blithe Spirit" by Noel Coward, July 29-Aug.14; directed by John Plank; design Janice Lindsay; starring Deborah Grover, Marion Gilsenan, John Cutts, Patrick McFadden, Gillian Wilson, Gwen Brown, Sheila McCarty

"Talley's Folly" by Lanford Wilson, Aug. 19-Sept. 4; directed by Edward Gilbert; design Janice Lindsay; starring Lubomir Mykytiuk, Deborah Kipp

1983:

"How the Other Half Loves" by Alan Ayckbourn, June 10-25; directed by Raymond Clarke; design Janice Lindsay; starring John J. Dee, Jack Mather, Elva Mai Hoover, Grant Roll, Susannah Hoffman, Charles Jolliffe, Eric Schneider

"Artichoke" by Joanna M. Glass, June 30-July 16; directed by James Roy; design Janice Lindsay; starring John J. Dee, Jack Mather, Elva Maid Hoover, Grant Roll, Susannah Hoffman, Charles Jolliffe, Eric Schneider

"Twelfth Night" by William Shakespeare, July 21-Aug.6; directed by John Plank; design Janice Lindsay; starring Geoffrey Creane, Warren Hubbard; Gregory Ellwand, Tim Gallop, Wenna Shaw, Jerry Allen, George Merner, Mary Trainor, Mark Christmann, Bob Dermer, Dorothy-Ann Haug, Michael Fawkes, Valerie Mutton, Grant Roll, David Hubank, Paul-Emile Frappier, Robin Mason, Jerry Allen

"The Caretaker" by Harold Pinter, Aug. 11-27; directed by John Plank and Michael Fawkes; design Janice Lindsay; starring John Plank, Michael Fawkes, Bernard Hopkins

"Mass Appeal" by Bill C. Davis, Sept. 1-17; directed by Neil Munro; set Roderik Mayne; costumes Janice Lindsay; starring Ron Hastings and Ron White

"Brew" by Claude Meunier, Jean-Pierre Plants, Francine Ruel, Louis Saia, Michel Cote, Marcel Gauthier, Mark Messier, Sept. 19-24; directed by and starring Marc Messier, Michel Cote, Marcel Gauthier

1984:

"Relatively Speaking" by Alan Ayckbourn, June 20-July 7; directed by John Plank; design Janice Lindsay; starring Richard Binsley, Alison MacLeod, Barrie Baldaro, Carolyn Hetherington

"We Can't Pay! We Won't Pay!" by Dario Fo, July 11-28; directed by Don Shipley; design Janice Lindsay; starring Victoria Snow, Alison MacLeod, Paul-Emile Frappier, Bernard Hopkins, Michael Caruana

"The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde, Aug. 1-18; directed by John Plank; design Janice Lindsay; starring Lorne Kennedy, Howard Eaton, Kimble Hall, Bernard Hopkins, Wenna Shaw, Gwen Brown, Alison MacLeod, Barrie Baldaro

"Last Call" by Morris Panych; music by Ken MacDonald, Aug. 22-Sept. 8; directed by Don Shipley; design Francine Tanguay; starring Peter Donaldson, David Sereda (pianist also)

1985:

"Private Lives" by Noel Coward; directed by J. Plank; design Janice Lindsay; starring Lorne Kennedy, Jill Frappier, Caroline Yeager, Damon Redfern, Catherine Disher

"Sea Marks" by Gardner McKay; directed by William Scouler; design Reginald Bronskill; starring Elizabeth Shepherd, Maurice Good

"Nurse Jane Goes to Hawaii" by Allan Stratton; directed by Gregory Peterson; design Margaret Coderre-Williams; starring Sharon Dyer, Virginia Roncetti, Paul-Emile Frappier, Keith Knight, Christina James, William Beddoe, Paul Wing

"Dracula" by Hamilton Dean/John L. Balderston; directed by Richard Ousounian; design Janice Lindsay; starring Kimble Hall, Anthony Bekenen, Lorne Kennedy, Nicholas Rice, Ian White, Caroline Yeager, Catherine Disher, James Battersby

1986:

"Deathtrap" by Ira Lavine; directed by David Hamblin; design Janice Lindsay; starring Brian Tree, Robert Seale, Tod Postlethwaite, Beth Robinson, Diana LeBlank

"Sister Jude" by Dave Carley; directed by Bob White; design Reginald Bronskill; starring Stephen Ouimette, Deborah Kimmett, Jacqueline Blais, Jennifer Dean, Stewart Clow

"The Mystery of Irma Vep" by Charles Ludlam; directed by J. Plank; design Julia Tribe; starring Richard Partington, Robert Seale, Dorothy Evans, Jeremy Carruthers, George Winterbotham, Agnes McCracken, Sandy Sharrif Ghandi

"Children of a Lesser God" by Mark Medoff; directed by Tod Postlethwaite; design Janice Lindsay; starring Brian Torpe, Karen Braun, Stewart Clow, Jacqueline Blais, Jennifer Dean, Syd Waldron, Darlene Laferriere

1987:

"Charley's Aunt" by Brandon Thomas; directed by J. Plank; design Terry Gunvordahl; starring Michael Lamport, Hugo Dann, Catherine Barroll, Paul Craig, Carolyn Hetherington, Janet Land, Ross Manson, Cara McDowell, Syd Waldron, Kenneth Wickes

"Salt Water Moon" by David French; directed by Linda Moore; design Terry Gunvordahl; starring Robert Wisden, Kelly Denomme

"Wait Until Dark" by Frederick Knott; directed by J. Plank; design Terry Gunvordahl; starring Frank Moore, Victor Redick, David Conne, Gabrielle Rose, James Haworth, Katie Leahy, Leslie Wood

"Letter From Wingfield Farm" by Dan Neeles; directed by Douglas Beattie; starring Rod Beattie

1988:

"Billy Bishop Goes to War" by John Gray/Eric Peterson; directed by Brian Richmond; starring David Ferry, Susan Fox

"Corpse" by Gerald Moon; directed by J. Plank; starring Michael Lamport, David Hughes, Judith McGilligan, Syd Waldron

"Midnight Madness" by Dave Carley; directed by Bill Glassco; starring John Dolan, Michelle Fisk, Graham Greene

"Wingfield's Progress" by Dan Neeles; directed by Douglas Beattie; starring Rod Beattie

1989:

"Educating Rita" by Willy Russel; directed by Charles McFarland; design Stephen Degenstein; starring Bridget O'Sullivan, John Cutts

"Gaslight" by Patrick Hamilton; directed by Charles McFarland; design Stephen Degenstein; starring Peg Christopherson, Gwen Brown, Jack Burke, Stewart Clow, Lisa Robertson, Harvey Sokoloff, Syd Waldron

"My Darling Judith" by Norm Foster; directed by Charles McFarland; design Stephen Degenstein; starring John Bayliss, Alison MacLeod, Bruce Clayton, Jill Frappier

"Mrs. Warren's Profession" by George Bernard Shaw; directed by Charles McFarland; starring Hazel Desbarats, Janet MacDonald, Hume Baugh, Richard Partington, Patricia Collins, Paul Mason

1990:

"The Sneeze" by Anton Chekhov; Adpt. Michael Frayn; directed by Charles McFarland; design Stephen Degenstein; starring Karen Agnew, Paul Bettis, Christina Collins, Ralph Small, Robert Widdowson, Peter Williams

"The Woman in Black" by Susan Hill; Adpt. Stephen Mallatratt; directed by Charles McFarland; starring Matthew Gibson, Richard Partington

"Top Girls" by Caryl Churchill; directed by Charles McFarland; design Stephen Degenstein; starring Peg Christopherson, Alison MacLeod, Louisa Martin, Maggie Nagle, Diana Reis, Lisa Robertson, Wenna Shaw

"Colours in the Storm" by Jim Betts; directed by Michael Ayoub; music director Stephen Woodjets; orchestra Ed Henderson; design Roderick Hillier; starring Ralph Small, Suzanne Bennett, Shane McPherson, Elise Dewsberry, Shelley Hanson, Michael Allen, Shelley Coopersmith

Archivia

  • Corporate body

The Library and Archives Canada was established in 1872 to acquire and preserve materials of lasting national significance.

Association for Canadian Studies

  • Corporate body

The Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) was founded in 1973 at Queen's University as a Pan-Canadian, non-profit organization which sought to promote a knowledge of Canada at the post-secondary level through teaching, research, and publications. A founding member of the International Council for Canadian Studies, the ACS is also a member of the Canadian Federation for the Humanities and the Social Science Federation of Canada. The objectives of the Association was to promote multidisciplinary and comparative perspectives, and to encourage exchanges and co-operation between the numerous programs, centres, study groups, institutes and other organizations working in the field of Canadian, Quebec, and regional studies.

Association of Canadian Universities For Northern Studies

  • Corporate body

The Association of Canadian Universities for Northern Studies (ACUNS) was founded in 1977 at Churchill, Manitoba and legally incorporated in March, 1987. The main founder of the Association was Professor Trevor Lloyd. Members include Universities across Canada, of which Trent University is one, that have an interest in Northern Studies. The Association does four types of work. It offers mutual assistance among member-universities in research, shared use of facilities, interchange of staff and students, the provision and use of libraries, preparation of bibliographies etc.; provision of assistance to northern residents through research, teacher training and higher education; makes available the knowledge, skills and services of universities to the Governments of Canada, the Provinces and Territories and to industry and the community at large; and, contributes towards Canada's international commitments for scientific information and research on the polar regions and increasing the exchange of scholars, students and information between polar countries. (Taken from: ACUNS - AUCEN Constitution and By-laws, 1979, page i.) The association has held annual conferences since 1979 at Chicoutimi, Quebec (1979), Trent University (1980), Calgary, Alberta (1981), Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario (1982) and at Regina in Saskatchewan (1983).

Atwood family

  • Family

The Atwood family is associated with nineteenth-century settlement in the Lakefield, Ontario region. James Parr Clinton Atwood (1836-1912) immigrated to Canada from Gloucestershire in 1855 and married Anne Traill Fotheringhame (Annie) Traill (1838-1931), daughter of Thomas Traill and Catharine Parr Traill, in 1858. Together they had seven children: Henry, Emily, Clinton, Katharine, George, Anne, and Florence. The Atwood family is related to the Upper Canada pioneer Traill, Moodie, and Strickland families.

Atwood, Hugh

  • Person

Hugh Atwood, a retired doctor, is understood to be a descendant of Catharine Parr Traill.

Results 1 to 25 of 847