Type of entity
Authorized form of name
A. Jeffrey & Son
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Andrew Jeffrey was a long term resident of Cobourg, Canada West. He is mentioned in the book "Cobourg Early Days and Modern Times" as being nominated as an elder of the Presbyterian Church in 1827. He was elected to the Board of Police in 1837 after the town became incorporated. In the same year, as a member of the Board of Trade, he and other merchants decided to close their businesses at 7 pm from December 22, 1837 to April, 1838 in order to have the benefits that businessmen in Toronto and Montreal enjoyed.
Jeffrey was a councillor in 1851 and Mayor in 1852. He kept a private school at the corner of King and D'Arcy Streets. Throughout this time he ran a Foundry and later a Hardware Store. Cobourg has named a street after A. Jeffrey. In 1853 A. Jeffrey had his son-in-law, Robert Kingan, open a branch store in Peterborough.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Taken from: Kidd, Martha Ann. Peterborough's Architectural Heritage, p 26. Please see other Peterborough histories in order to find more information on the Kingan branch of the Jeffrey family.