The Royal Canadian Mounted Police had previously been known as the North West Mounted Police (from 1873 to 1904), and the Royal North West Mounted Police (from 1904 to 1920). On February 1, 1920, the name was changed to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The force was established to protect and police the newly acquired lands from various threats including American annexation and various illegal activities. It was also established to help encourage settlement throughout the region. Today, the RCMP is Canada's national police force.
The Young's Point Cheese Factory was located in Young's Point, Smith Township, Ontario. It was established in the early 1900's and was owned and run by Andrew Wilson. The factory was a family enterprise which included Andrew's brother George, and Andrew's sons, Rex and Len.
Scott Young was born in 1918 in Cypress River, Manitoba. He started his writing career at age 18 for the Winnipeg Free Press in 1936. He was soon writing sports columns in Winnipeg, and later Toronto, and in 1949 published the first of 40 books. He has written a number of books which cover parts of his own life such as "Neil and Me"-- a book about his son Neil Young; and "A Writer's Life"-- an autobiography. His career in journalism has produced thousands of articles for "The Globe and Mail", "The Telegram", "Sports Illustrated", "Maclean's" and other magazines during the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. Scott served in the Royal Canadian Navy during World War II (1944-1945). Previous to this he was sent to England by Canadian Press (CP) to cover the news of the War. He has received numerous awards and a Doctorate of Letters, Honoris Causa, from Trent University. He has been married three times (Edna Blow Ragland aka Rassy; Astrid Carlson Mead; and Margaret Hogan) and has a number of children and step-children (Neil, Bob; Deidre, Astrid; Maggie, Caitlin and Erin).
Young Nim You is a graduate of Haushin University in Korea and has taken courses in theology. She is married to Kwang Il Lee and has a son, Tae Ook Lee, who was born in 1980. You was involved with the Korean Women's Association for Democracy and Sisterhood and came to Canada as a missionary in 1989 under the auspices of the Partners in Mission Program of the United Church of Canada. You returned to Korea in 1992.
Aileen Young is a descendant of the Young's Point pioneers and has a keen interest in the local history of Peterborough and its surrounds.
The Peterborough Young Women's Christian Association was founded 1891 when a young man, who greatly appreciated what the Y.M.C.A. had done for him, felt that a similar organization should be offered to women. With the support of Mr. Colville, secretary of the Y.M.C.A., a meeting was arranged at which sixteen ladies attended (two from each church). These ladies became the charter members of the Peterborough Young Women's Christian Association. The first meeting took place over Long's Confectionery Shop on George Street. Bible studies, educational classes and club group meetings were held there. In 1892 a house on the north side of Brock Street (near George Street) was furnished to serve as a Residence for young girls who had no homes in the town. Before long all the work of the Association was carried out at the Brock Street residence. The Peterborough Y.W.C.A. was actively involved in many of the conferences and new ideas that came into the Association. For instance it was one of the first associations to take up Industrial work and offer meetings, in 1909, for girls employed at the electrical works. In 1901 the Y.W.C.A. needed to move into larger quarters due to the expansion of its members. They were able to secure rooms, with the aid of Hon. Senator Cox, on the west side of George Street and stayed there for two years. In 1904 the Y.W.C.A. decided it needed a Y.W.C.A. building and purchased the lot on the corner of Simcoe and Aylmer Streets. The Hon. Senator Cox provided rooms in the Bank of Commerce Building and the rooms on George Street and the house on Brock Street were given up. Mrs. Cox laid the cornerstone September 7, 1904 and the new building was opened in 1905. In 1912 rooms at 133 Rubidge street were formally opened. In 1916 a swimming pool was built and by May 30, 1918 was able to be used. In 1919 the Y.W.C.A. rented a cottage on Stoney Lake as a summer camp. The aim of the Y.W.C.A. was to provide religious education as well as special clubs, classes and parties to encourage the development of the all-round girl who would be the woman of the future. The Y.W.C.A. was considered a fellowship. In 1929 the Y.W.C.A. purchased nine acres of land near the centre of Stoney Lake as a campground, called Camp Inglestane and charged $7.00 a week per girl. The camp was sold at the end of the 1940's. The Y.W.C.A. continued to act as an employment bureau and forming clubs in the industrial sector. In June, 1939 the Peterborough Y.W.C.A. became more newly equipped with a more modern gymnasium and a new pool was opened. A nursery school opened in 1960. The Y.W.C.A. continued to grow and develop with each new year and national and international changes. In 1967 the Y.W.C.A. purchased the Knights of Columbus building as a Centennial project. This building was adjacent to the original Y building and was called Stevenson Hall in memory of James E. Stevenson, the original owner of the property. (Taken from: "The Peterborough Y.W.C.A. 1891 to 1981." Box 3, folder 2, Trent University Archives.) In the original Y.W.C.A. building programs such as Crossroads, which was a program for battered women and a series of shelters, and "Y's Buys" were run. The original building which was on the corner of Simcoe and Aylmer, and had been sold a number of years ago, burnt down on February 15, 1996. (See "Arthur" Volume 30, Issue 19, February 27, 1996, p 8.)
Camp Wangoma was an overnight camp operated by East York YMCA and the Toronto Y Camping Services from 1956-1973. The Camp operated in the Madawaska Highlands thirty minutes east of Bancroft, just south of McArthur’s Mills on the north end of Wanamaker Lake. The history of the camp started in 1919 with Sunfish Camp on Sunfish Island run by Toronto Central YMCA. Due to the building of the Island Airport on Hanlan’s Point the residents of Hanlan's Point were moved to Sunfish Island (Olympic Island) in 1934. Sunfish Camp moved to a site south of Barrie on west side of Lake Simcoe operated by East York YMCA.
Due to the growth of the population on Lake Simcoe, the Y decided to move the Camp in 1955 to a former Private Camp on Lake Catchacoma. They rented the Camp for 1955 and the Camp was called Camp Woapka. The East York Y Camp Committee found during that time the site for Camp Wangoma which is the present day, Cedar Ridge Camp. The Camp started in 1956 and ran until 1973. As an Outdoor Education Centre, it ran from 1974-1978.
The Camp was sold in 1980 to the Pentecostal Church in Bancroft affiliated with the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada). They ran Nature Land Bible Camp. In December 2005, the Bible Camp was sold to today’s owners of Cedar Ridge Camp which has been in operation for sixteen years.
Edwin Zimmerman Yerex was born on September 23, 1856, in Port Hoover, Victoria County. He lived in Little Britain, Ontario with his wife, Mary Henrietta Ashton (Ettie, 1866-1953). They had two sons, Orville (1884-1916; married in 1904 to Beatrice (1888-1962); had 3 children – Mary, b. 1904, Walter, b. 1907, and Helen, b. 1908) and Elba (1885-1951); married to Ida Webster (1890-1889); had 2 children, Clifford and Marion (1916-1979). Photograph of Elba and his family is courtesy of Joan McKenzie, Elba's granddaughter. Marion Yerex was her mother). E. Z. Y.’s parents were Henry Travis Yerex (d. 18 Nov. 1914 ) and Mary Ann Hoover (d. 11 March 1902 ). Henry Yerex owned and operated a small store in Little Britain in the 1860s. Edwin Yerex ran a larger operation also in Little Britain. He was active in the business, social, and church life of Little Britain and was a village trustee in 1905. He owned a summer home at Port Hoover and often hosted social and church events there. Yerex died on August 17th, 1926 . He seems to have been a notary public and his home was used as a surgery and nursing home. He was also postmaster with the post office located in his store.
Founded in 1931, Beta Sigma Phi is an international women's organization that focuses on stimulating personal growth and development of its members through cultural and social programs and through service to others. Members volunteer for such activities as blood donor clinics, daffodil day, and meals on wheels. The organization supports various charities. Beta Sigma Phi was established in Peterborough in 1944. The Xi-Iota Chapter folded in 1998 or 1999.
William Lloyd (Moon) Wootton was a charter inductee in the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame in Westminster, B.C. and a member of the Peterborough & District Sports Hall of Fame and the Owen Sound Sports Hall of Fame. He became legendary in Peterborough in the 1940s and 1950s where he played goalie, breaking records and contributing to the winning of the prestigious Mann Cup for five consecutive years. Dozens of newspaper clippings published in Peterborough, Owen Sound and Westminster attest to the fame and popularity that Wootton achieved. The fonds reflects a grassroots Canadian story and is a significant historical record of mid-20th century lacrosse in Peterborough where the sport has gained widespread recognition that continues to the present day.
Leslie Woolcott is a feminist activist living in Peterborough, Ontario.
Bernice Loft Winslow's Mohawk name was "Dawendine". She was raised as an Anglican and was also familiar with the Longhouse religious traditions of her Mohawk ancestors. Her schooling was on the Six Nations Reserve and the high school in neighbouring Caledonia. After high school, she taught school for a number of years and began to speak to groups interested in native culture.
Windy Pine Point is a property located on Kushog Lake, near Minden, near Haliburton County, Ontario. The property was owned by Flora Morrison and Dr. Mary L. Northway from 1940 to 1982. As well as the main cottage, there were cabins which were available to friends and acquaintances. The owners planned and led girls' canoe trips from Windy Pine in the 1940's. It was deeded to Trent University.
Paul S.B. Wilson was born in England in 1939. He held the position of Director of Athletics at Trent University from 1966 until his retirement in 2002, and served as Town Ward for the City of Peterborough from 1985 to 1997. He is a strong and vocal supporter of Trent and the City of Peterborough, and is an athlete and sports leader, widely known for his involvement in rugby and squash. Wilson served on the Board of Governors at Trent University and on several athletic associations at various levels throughout Canada, and is the recipient of Trent's Symons Award for Excellence in Teaching and the Board of Governors Eminent Service Award. He is also an inductee of the Peterborough Sports Hall of Fame.
Professor Mary F. Williamson was born in Toronto in 1933 and earned her M.A. at University of Toronto. Her area of research is early literature of Canadian art, early printmaking in Canada, and art librarianship, teaching the latter at graduate schools in North America. Williamson has written articles for the Dictionary of Canadian Biography and The Canadian Encyclopaedia, has published articles relating to art librarianship, and is co-author of Art and Architecture in Canada and The Art and Pictorial Press.
John Tucker Williams, former Commander in the British Royal Navy, arrived in Canada in 1812 and commanded a vessel on the Lake (Lake Ontario) during the War of 1812. He eventually settled in Port Hope and established a farm/estate. He later became the first Mayor of the town of Port Hope. During the Rebellion of 1837, he commanded the Durham Regiment. He then represented Durham East in the Legislative Assembly of United Canada from 1840 to 1848. He married Sarah Ward, daughter of Judge Ward of Durham. Their children include sons Arthur T.H., Henry J.B., and Charles H.A., and daughter Amelia. John Tucker Williams died in 1854. His eldest son, Arthur Trefusis Heneage, was born at Port Hope in 1837. Arthur was educated at Upper Canada College, Toronto, and Edinburgh University, Scotland. He returned to Canada after graduating and like his father became a gentleman farmer. Also like his father, Arthur was active in politics and the military. He represented East Durham in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario from 1867 to 1875, and in the House of Commons in Ottawa from 1878 to 1885. During the Northwest Rebellion of 1885 he was Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the 46th Battalion of volunteer militia, and took part in the Battle of Batoche. Shortly after the battle, Arthur became ill and died near Fort Pitt, Saskatchewan 4 July 1885.
It is believed that in 1880 John E. Belcher built the house for William Hamilton, the developer of a machine shop which became one of Peterborough's largest and most important industries in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The house is solid brick, cream in colour, and has a two storey projecting bay with portico and entrance. The William Hamilton house is presently owned by the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation for the Diocese of Peterborough. A request for designation in accordance with the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act, 1974, was filed 31 October 1985 by the Peterborough Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee.
Robert Willan and Edward Willan seem to have been the owners of the two work books which comprise this fonds. Robert and Edward may have been brothers or even father and son. Their books are dated 1806 and 1832, respectively. An inscription on the last page of Edward's book reads "Thomas M. Willan, South Monaghan."
Don Whiteside (Sin-a-paw) was born in New York in 1931, the son of Thereon Harvey and Dorothy (Reid) Whiteside. He married Alvina Helen Adams in 1956 and had five children. A native author, Whiteside served with the United States military in Korea. He received a Ph.D. from Stanford University in 1967 and within a few years began working with the Canadian government in various departments: the Department of Regional Economic Expansion; the Department of Secretary of State; and the Department of Health and Welfare. He also taught at Manitou Community College and was director of the Ontario Genealogical Society. He died in 1993.
Phyllis Hope (Fox) White was born near Swift Current, Saskatchewan in 1917. She taught Normal School in Saskatchewan and served in the Canadian Women's Army Corp during WWII. After receiving a BA in Social Work from University of Toronto and an MA in Education from Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, Phyllis moved to Peterborough in 1969 with husband Rodney F. White (1922-1995), a professor at Trent University. The couple had three daughters, Pat, Kathy, and Debbie. In Peterborough, Phyllis worked for the Kawartha-Haliburton Children's Aid Society and was a member of the Unitarian Church and the Peterborough Historical Society. She conducted historical research and and was interested in the Port Hope area, writing in particular about her paternal forefather, Elias Smith, who was a loyalist and who fought on the side of the British during the Revolution. Phyllis died in Peterborough in 2010. (Biography augmented with information extracted from the Peterborough Examiner, 24 April 2010).
Henry White was a Barrister who lived in Port Hope, Ontario, at the turn of the century. He acted as an agent, collecting rents, for various estates in the area.
We-Can: World Emergency Centre for Non-Violence was the local Peterborough Group of Alliance for Non-Violent Action. The Alliance for Non-Violent Action was a geographically dispersed collective of groups and individuals who gathered together to plan, organize and participate in education and events for non-violent direct action. They sought to remove oppression from the world through building a non-oppressive and non-exploitative world by removing the economic and political institutions and practices which supported injustice. They did this through supportive local groups such as We-Can. The strategy behind the Alliance organizations was through organizing public, non-violent actions and the development of educational materials, resources and projects. We-Can in Peterborough took on protests at the Litton Systems Plant in Rexdale, Ontario; a study on dismantling bombs and the cruise missile amongst other projects.
The Wendaban Stewardship Authority (WSA) was created through a Memorandum of Understanding of April, 1990 and an Addendum of May 23, 1991 in which the Ontario and Teme-Augama Anishnabai governments agreed to form a “Stewardship Council” with co-management jurisdiction over four geographic townships in the Sudbury/Nipissing district of northern Ontario: Acadia; Shelburne; Canton; and Delhi. The total land area is approximately 400 square kilometres. The area is located northwest of Lake Temagami and includes the shores of Lakes Wakimika, Diamond, and the northern part of Obabika. (Taken from promotional materials issued by the WSA).
Joseph Wearing is Professor Emeritus at Trent University, having been a member of the Department of Political Studies for three decades and, for a time, serving as Chair of the Department. He is a graduate of the universities of Western Ontario, Toronto and Oxford (D.Phil.) and is the author of books and articles on Canadian political parties. His books include The L-Shaped Party: The Liberal Party of Canada, 1958-1980; Strained Relations: Canadian Parties and Voters; and The Ballot and its Message: Voting in Canada (edited collection of articles on Canadian voting behaviour). He also wrote a book about his father, Lumberjack in the Court House: The Remarkable Career of Judge Joseph Wearing and helped to produce “:30 Second Democracy: A Documentary on Political Television Advertising.” A more recent research interest is the role of party discipline in the Canadian House of Commons. Apart from his academic activities, Professor Wearing has also contributed to the musical life of Trent University and the City of Peterborough. He was the musical director of six Gilbert & Sullivan productions between 1969 and 1975 and performed in a seventh production. He conducted the Coventry Singers of Peterborough, 1967-1975, and was chair of Town & Gown Concerts that presented concerts by local performers as well as by prominent Canadian musicians including Lois Marshall, soprano, and Anton Kuerti, piano. He was also on the Board of Directors of the Peterborough Symphony Orchestra and held the position of president. As a pianist and member of the Master Class Players, Wearing performs regularly at community events in Toronto.