City of Peterborough

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

  • Early sketches and drawings of Peterborough are located in the following fonds: 83-1022 copy of an 1828 sketch by Basil Hall made with the Camera Lucida; 95-1004 unknown engraving [Bartlett?] 1882; 95-1017 sketch of Government House by Mary Sanford 1832 (copy); 02-1002 composite panorama of Ashburnham from St. John's Church ca. 1874 (a representation produced in 2001); 89-1065 Peterborough, U.C. on the Otonabee River signed
  • Special Collections maintains an impressive collection of books relating to the City of Peterborough. The "Trent Collection" contains all the obvious published histories such as Peterborough, Land of Shining Waters; Peterborough Scrapbook...1825-1975 Poole's A Sketch of the Early Settlement...of the Town of Peterborough ; Jones' and Dyer's Peterborough the Electric City and Guillet's Valley of the Trent. These titles represent only the most obvious sources; all of these (and many more) are catalogued on Omni and are available, for reference use only, in our Reading Room.
  • We also hold many idiosyncratic items in the pamphlet collection, in the map collection and in the vertical unpublished research files. Also pertinent to the study of Peterborough are all the extant newspapers for the area which are available on microfilm. In addition, various citizens of Peterborough have written historical columns for newspapers. We have the papers here in the archives for some of these authors. Their research files and copies of their columns can be a rich source of information. See, for example, the papers of Helen Marryat, Richard Choate, Howard Pammett and Wilson Craw.
  • One important source of information on Peterborough often overlooked is the "Dobbin Index." Francis H. Dobbin was a journalist working in Peterborough from 1864 until 1914. During this time he collected news items and also wrote brief descriptive essays. These are catalogued (F 5547 .P4D622) and are available to researchers in our Reading Room. Some of his longer pieces were published posthumously as Our Old Home Town. It too is catalogued (F 5547 .P4D6) and can be accessed in the Reading Room.
  • The subject headings for the "Dobbin Index" of newspaper references, synopses, notes and essays are: 1. Introduction 2. Biographies 3. Churches 4. Education 5. Events 6. Fires 7. Industries 8. Institutions and Societies 9. Military 10. Municipal 11. Politics 12. Railway 13. Trent Canal
  • It was in May of 1819 that the first settlers came to the region in Newcastle District which is now known as Peterborough. One of these settlers was Adam Scott (1796-1838), and he built a saw and grist mill on the west bank of the Otonabee River (at the location were King St. now crosses the river). This location, then known as Scott's Plains, was to become the City of Peterborough. The area had been previously surveyed by Samuel Wilmot in 1818, and at that time, he recommended to the surveyor general that land be set aside for the development of a town at the junction of Smith, Douro, North Monaghan and Otonabee Townships, along the shores of the Otonabee River. In 1825, the recommended townsite was surveyed again by Richard Birdsall and the creation of a town plan was undertaken. From 1819 to 1825, the only inhabitants of Scott's Plains were Adam Scott's family and a few hired men. This changed with the arrival of the Peter Robinson immigrants in 1825 who numbered close to 2,000 people. Many of them settled in the townships surrounding Scott's Plains, which was renamed in 1826, to Peterboro by Sir Peregrine Maitland, in honour of Peter Robinson. By 1827, there were 20 buildings located within the townsite, and in the summer of 1828, another 20 houses were built. Shops, taverns, schools and churches began to sprout within the town boundaries. Timber, and then lumber, dominated the Peterborough industrial base from 1825 to 1875. But this was not the only form of industry. Peterborough also had a tannery, three iron foundries, and several woolen and grain mills. The location of Peterborough along the shores of the Otonabee was extremely important in the development of Peterborough as a manufacturing centre. The river provided not only water power, but a means of transportation for both people and goods. In 1890, Edison Electric, later known as Canadian General Electric, set up a plant in Peterborough, and by 1892, it became the site of the CGE head office for Canadian Operations. In 1900, Quaker Oats also came to Peterborough. Not only did Quaker employ a substantial number of people, they also used locally grown grains in the production of their cereals. The period between 1875 and 1930 was one of rapid industrial growth in Peterborough. As well, the population was constantly increasing. In 1838, the population was between 800 and 900, and by the 1852 census, it had risen to 2,191. In 1871 it had increased to 4,611 and it became necessary for Peterborough to annex land from the surrounding townships. In 1872, 239 acres were annexed from Smith, 50 acres from Douro, and 581 acres from North Monaghan. After the annexation, the population was close to 7,000 inhabitants. Peterborough officially became a city in 1904 and continued to grow and by 1921, the population had increased to 21,000.

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

City of Peterborough

Equivalent terms

City of Peterborough

Associated terms

City of Peterborough

292 Archival description results for City of Peterborough

292 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

1885-1985 Batoche Fish Creek: Capt. Edward T. Brown

  • 94-1002
  • Item
  • 12 May 1985

This item is a pamphlet regarding the Brown Memorial rededication at Centenary Park in Peterborough, Ontario.

Edward Templeton Brown, grandson to Frances and Thomas Stewart, was born at Goodwood, the family farm in Douro Township, Canada West, on December 24, 1852 to Edward Wilson Brown and Elizabeth Lydia Stewart. In 1879 he went to the Northwest Territory to help survey Riding Mountain National Park. After the survey was completed he worked for the Hudson's Bay Company. In 1880 he joined a party, led by Major Boulton, heading for the Shell River area of western Manitoba to settle on land. He joined Boulton's Scouts and during the Battle of Batoche was killed in action on May 12, 1885. The community in Peterborough decided to raise a memorial stone to Edward Brown to commemorate his death in the Riel Uprising.

"2001: Coming of Age in Canada" Conference fonds

  • 88-005
  • Fonds
  • 1973 - 1979

This fonds consists of the "2001: Coming of Age in Canada" Conference materials. This fonds has various notes, documents and correspondence as well as reports and audio cassettes. Also included are documents and correspondence regarding the Retired Citizens in Residence Program at Trent, 1973-1978.

2001: Coming of Age in Canada Conference

57th Regiment, Peterborough Rangers fonds

  • 73-002
  • Fonds
  • 1973

The fonds consists of a photocopy of the history of the 57th Regiment, Peterborough Rangers from 1914 to 1916 written by Francis H. Dobbin. It includes an index. The history from 1946 to 1970 was continued by Major D.P. Pryde.

57th Regiment, Peterborough Rangers

A. Douglas Vaisey fonds

  • 04-010
  • Fonds
  • 1947-1981

Fonds consists of minute books, correspondence, and related materials of Peterborough organizations and churches, including the Peterborough Humane Society, Grace United Church, St. James United Church Men's Club, the Kala-Chi-Hi-Y Club of the Peterborough Y.M.C.A., Trinity United Church, Trinity Young Peoples' Club, and Grace United Church Boat People Committee. Also included are minutes, notes, and correspondence of The House of Four Seasons, a men's retreat centre organized by the Peterborough Presbytery Men's Council.

Vaisey, A. Douglas

Alan Brunger fonds

  • 08-004
  • Fonds
  • 1972-1992

Fonds consists of Professor Alan Brunger's research material pertaining to the historical geography of Bon Echo Provincial Park and Algonquin Provincial Park. Included in the Algonquin materials are aerial photographs and photographs of the Dennison Farm property. Also included is historical geography research material and microfilm reels relating to the Peter Robinson Irish emigration to the Peterborough area.

Brunger, Alan

Alan Brunger fonds. 2000 additions

  • 20-004
  • Fonds
  • 1746; 1815-1991

This fonds consists of Professor Brunger's research in 19th century Canadian historical geography, mainly in Upper Canada/Ontario, focused on emigration from the U.K. and settlement in Newcastle (Peterborough County) District and London (Talbot Settlement) District. Included in the research materials are several maps, a small collection of photo negatives, and microfilm reels.

Brunger, Alan

Alan J. Slavin fonds

  • 02-006
  • Fonds
  • 1982-1990

Fonds consists of correspondence, pamphlets, journal issues, and other material related primarily to the peace movement. Included are records of Kawartha Ploughshares and Project Ploughshares, and letters written between Alan and Linda Slavin and government officials regarding nuclear disarmament, capital punishment, etc.

Slavin, Alan J.

Alfred O.C. Cole fonds

  • 04-024
  • Fonds
  • 1957-1990

Fonds consists of correspondence, interview audio cassettes and notes, and manuscripts relating to Alf Cole's book, Trent: The Making of a University, 1957-1987. The fonds is organized into three series: recorded interviews (audio cassettes), interview notes, and research files and chapter drafts.

Cole, Alfred O.C.

Arbor Theatre fonds

  • 85-007
  • 1977-1985

This fonds consists of posters, publicity materials, set design sketches, brochures, programs, photographs and newspaper clippings of Arbor Theatre, Peterborough, Ontario.

Arbor Theatre

Arbor Theatre fonds. 1986 additions (1 of 2)

  • 86-008
  • Fonds
  • 1979-1982

This addition to the fonds consists of publicity materials, correspondence, advertising materials, financial materials, press and newspaper clippings, volunteer lists, reports, programmes, mailing lists, rehearsal schedules and posters of Arbor Theatre.

Arbor Theatre

Arbor Theatre fonds. 1986 additions (2 of 2)

  • 86-025
  • Fonds
  • 1978-1986

This addition to the fonds consists of posters, photographs, flyers, newspaper clippings and programs pertaining to the 1986 season of Arbor Theatre in Peterborough, Ontario.

Arbor Theatre

Arbor Theatre fonds. 1990 additions

  • 90-004
  • Fonds
  • 1977-1989

This addition to the fonds consists of publicity materials such as photographs, slides and newspaper clippings for Arbor Theatre.

Arbor Theatre

Arbor Theatre fonds. 1993 additions

  • 93-019
  • Fonds
  • 1979-1992

This addition to the fonds consists of season programs and advertisements; promotional material; newspaper clippings and photographs of settings and actors from Arbor Theatre.

Arbor Theatre

Arbor Theatre fonds. 1997 additions

  • 97-1017
  • Fonds
  • 1988-1992

This fonds consists of materials relating to the stage production of "18 wheels", July-August 1992, and includes 13 related photographs and 24 negatives. Also included are stage sketches for the plays "Man of La Mancha", "Rock and Roll", "The Red Lion", and "We Must Kill Toni", plus 13 unidentifed photos.

Arbor Theatre

Arbor Theatre fonds. 2011 additions

  • 11-002
  • 1981-1995

Fonds consists of approximately 500 photographs related to Arbor Theatre productions and events. Also included are two scrapbooks of newspaper clippings, playbills, etc. related to Whispers Dinner Theatre, Peterborough, Ontario.

Arbor Theatre

Arbor Theatre fonds. 2012 additions

  • 12-014
  • Fonds
  • 1982-1994

Fonds consists of correspondence, meeting minutes and agendas, financial documents, publicity reports and fundraising campaigns, business reports, and promotional pamphlets and brochures pertaining to Arbor Theatre.

Arbor Theatre

Beavermead Park land document

  • 97-1024
  • Item
  • [1986]

This item is a 4-page photocopy of an 1869 deed of land of property on the east shore of Little Lake, Peterborough, now known as Beavermead Park, which indicates that the land was once owned by Canada's first prime minister, Sir John A. Macdonald. The property at the time of his ownership was valued at $310.00.

Beavermead Park

Benson Mills day book

  • 71-1002
  • Item
  • 1 June 1848-28 Dec. 1849

This item is an original day book from the Benson Mills (also called Creek Mills and Peterboro Mills) which describes work done, for whom work was done, and value of work done.

Benson Mills

Beta Sigma Phi (Peterborough, Ontario) fonds

  • 10-008
  • Fonds
  • 1943-2007

Fonds consists of records related to the Beta Sigma Phi of Peterborough, Ontario. Correspondence, minutes, notes, membership lists, treasurer reports, photographs, and newspaper clippings pertaining to the Area Council, the Laureate Delta Beta chapter, the Delta Chi chapter, the Epsilon Mu chapter, and the Xi Iota chapter are included. Also included are 13 photographs of inaugural activities of the Peterborough Beta Sigma Phi in the 1940s.

Beta Sigma Phi (Peterborough, Ontario)

Beta Sigma Phi (Peterborough, Ontario) fonds. Additions

  • 20-012
  • Fonds
  • 1977-2020

This fonds consists of 7 binders, 8 photo albums and 30 booklet programs pertaining to Peterborough’s Beta Sigma Phi and local sorority chapters. Included are meeting minutes and correspondence, photos, cards, and newspaper clippings. Along with the photos are detailed descriptions of the events being photographed and the members within each photo.

Beta Sigma Phi (Peterborough, Ontario)

Beta Sigma Phi (Peterborough, Ontario) fonds. Additions

  • 13-001
  • Fonds
  • 1996-2005

Fonds consists of four albums of materials related to the Beta Sigma Phi of Peterborough, Ontario. Materials are dated 1996-2005 and include photographs, greeting cards, invitations, correspondence, and newspaper clippings. The four albums are covered and decorated in cloth design; three are titled Xi Delta Nu and one is titled Beta Sigma Phi.

Beta Sigma Phi (Peterborough, Ontario)

Results 1 to 25 of 292