Lindsay, Ontario



Scope note(s)

  • The Town of Lindsay is located twenty-seven miles west of Peterborough, on the Scugog River in Ops Township. It is the county town of Victoria County. The Township of Ops was surveyed in 1825 by Colonel Duncan McDonell and Lots 20 and 21 in the 5th Concession were reserved for a town site. The same year settlers began to come to the region and by 1827, the Purdy's, an American family, built a dam on the Scugog River at the site of present-day Lindsay. The following year they built a sawmill and in 1830, a grist mill was constructed. A small village grew up around the mills and it was known as Purdy's Mills. In 1834, surveyor John Huston plotted the designated townsite into streets and lots. During the survey, one of Huston's assistants, Mr. Lindsay, was accidently shot in the leg and died of an infection. He was buried on the river bank and his name and death were recorded on the surveyor's plan. The name Lindsay remained as the name of the town by government approval. Lindsay grew steadily and developed into a lumbering and farming centre. With the arrival of the Lindsay/Port Hope Railway in 1857, the town saw a period of rapid development and industrial growth. On June 19 of the same year, Lindsay was formally incorporated as a town. In 1861, a fire swept through the town and most of Lindsay was detroyed with hundreds of people left homeless. It took many years for Lindsay to recover from this disaster. Today Lindsay is a well established town, situated within an agricultural community. Due to the town's close proximity to several lakes, Lindsay is often referred to as the

Source note(s)

  • Taken from: Mika, Nick and Helma. "Places in Ontario." Belleville: Mika Publishing Company, 1981.

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Lindsay, Ontario

Equivalent terms

Lindsay, Ontario

Associated terms

Lindsay, Ontario

7 Archival description results for Lindsay, Ontario

7 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Gavin A. Gibson fonds

  • 76-010
  • Fonds
  • 1888-1914

The fonds consists of an account book of the general store of G.A. Gibson, Kent Street in Lindsay, Ontario for the period of May 1888 to December 1888; four diaries, May 1898 to July 1906, in which Gibson records the chores performed daily by himself and his family as well as money received (for the sale of produce) and money spent. The fonds also contains one additional diary, January 1910 to April 1914, which records chores and events on the farm. It is possible that the diary was written by Gibson's wife, Alice, but written as if Gibson had written it himself.

Gibson, Gavin A.

Judge G.L. Murdoch bench books fonds

  • 95-023
  • Fonds
  • 1963-1988

This fonds consists of the bench books of Judge G.L. Murdoch from the court sittings of a circuit court covering Peterborough, Cobourg and Lindsay areas. The books note the defendant and prosecution names, the case number, exhibit numbers and short comments on the cases as the witnesses testify. The books comprise an "aide-memoire" for the judge as he listened to the various cases. Twenty-five of the books were the bench books of Judge Harry R. Deyman (1912-1975).

Murdoch, Gilbert L.

Town of Lindsay map

  • 78-1000
  • Fonds
  • 1916

This item is a map of the Town of Lindsay, Ontario, 1916, drawn by A.E. Guidal. There is a notation on the map which states "Property of Leslie M. Frost.

Trotter family photographic fonds

  • 81-016
  • Fonds
  • 1880-1913

The fonds consists of 25 black and white photographs of scenes, in and around Lindsay, Ontario, which cover such topics as parades and processions, military, industrial, social and family gatherings. The photographs were created by the Trotter family.

Trotter family