Fonds 78-1000 - Town of Lindsay map

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Town of Lindsay map

General material designation

  • Cartographic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the title of the map

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1916 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 map

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

The map was previously owned by the Honourable Leslie M. Frost

Scope and content

This item is a map of the Town of Lindsay, Ontario, 1916, drawn by A.E. Guidal. There is a notation on the map which states "Property of Leslie M. Frost.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The map was bequeathed by the Honourable Leslie M. Frost.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


General note


The Town of Lindsay is located twenty-seven miles west of Peterborough, on the Scugog River in Ops Township. It is the county town of Victoria County. The Township of Ops was surveyed in 1825 by Colonel Duncan McDonell and Lots 20 and 21 in the 5th Concession were reserved for a town site. The same year settlers began to come to the region and by 1827, the Purdy's, an American family, built a dam on the Scugog River at the site of present-day Lindsay. The following year they built a sawmill and in 1830, a grist mill was constructed. A small village grew up around the mills and it was known as Purdy's Mills. In 1834, surveyor John Huston plotted the designated townsite into streets and lots. During the survey, one of Huston's assistants, Mr. Lindsay, was accidently shot in the leg and died of an infection. He was buried on the river bank and his name and death were recorded on the surveyor's plan. The name Lindsay remained as the name of the town by government approval. Lindsay grew steadily and developed into a lumbering and farming centre. With the arrival of the Lindsay/Port Hope Railway in 1857, the town saw a period of rapid development and industrial growth. On June 19 of the same year, Lindsay was formally incorporated as a town. In 1861, a fire swept through the town and most of Lindsay was detroyed with hundreds of people left homeless. It took many years for Lindsay to recover from this disaster. Today Lindsay is a well established town, situated within an agricultural community. Due to the town's close proximity to several lakes, Lindsay is often referred to as the "Gateway of the Kawartha's". (Taken from: Mika, Nick and Helma. "Places in Ontario." Belleville: Mika Publishing Company, 1981.)

General note

Located in Map Cabinet - Drawer 4.

General note

From the historical collection of Leslie M. Frost

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations