Fonds 88-025 - Peterborough newspaper files fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Peterborough newspaper files fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1846-1860 (Creation)
    Peterborough Newspaper Files

Physical description area

Physical description

25 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Peterborough Despatch (1845-1856) was published by George Haslehurst and had its offices at Hunter and Chambers Streets. The Peterborough Review was established in 1853 by Robert Romaine and his brothers-in-law, Thomas and Richard White. They owned the Review from 1856 to 1864. They bought the Despatch's files and equipment in 1856. The Review was sold to E.J. Toker and John Carnegie in 1878. The Review stopped publishing in 1921. The Peterborough Examiner was established 1856 by Augustus Sawers as Peterborough's reform paper, taking over from the Despatch. Robert Graham and James Renfrew bought the paper in 1859 and in 1864 James Stratton bought it. From 1877 to 1914 James Stratton's son ran the paper. The Peterborough Examiner is still running in 1996.

Custodial history

This fonds was in the custody of Martha Kidd before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and content

This fonds is comprised of typescripts of newspaper articles from the Peterborough Weekly Despatch, the Peterborough Review and the Peterborough Examiner. The articles have been arranged chronologically under a number of subject headings by the donor.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated by Martha Kidd.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

For related records see: 77-010, 83-1022, 86-033 and 95-014.

Related materials


General note


Box 1


1 : Military

2 : Sports

3 : Amusements

4 : Properties and Buildings

5 : Manufacturing

6 : Business Organizations

7 : Utilities

8 : Religion

9 : Education and Educational Institutions

10: Industry Resources

11: Statistics

12: Agriculture

13: Stages

14: Roads

15: Steamers

16: Trent Canal

17: Railroads

18: Organizations

19: Newspapers

20: Literature, Art and Culture

21: W.S. Conger

22: People: Accidents, Illness

23: Municipal Elections

24: Letters to the Editor

Box 2


1 : By-laws

2 : Town Affairs: General

3 : Town Council

4 : Politics: Federal and Provincial

5 : Relief Fund

6 : Health

7 : Social Problems, Reform, Liquor, Temperance

8 : Law and Protection

9 : Fire Department

10: Fires

11: County: General

12: County: Towns and Townships

13: County Council

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area