Title and statement of responsibility area
Beta Sigma Phi (Peterborough, Ontario) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the creator of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Beta Sigma Phi (Peterborough, Ontario)
Physical description area
75 m of textual records
ca. 1000 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Founded in 1931, Beta Sigma Phi is an international women's organization that focuses on stimulating personal growth and development of its members through cultural and social programs and through service to others. Members volunteer for such activities as blood donor clinics, daffodil day, and meals on wheels. The organization supports various charities. Beta Sigma Phi was established in Peterborough in 1944.
Fonds was in the custody of Sharon Simpkins before it was donated to Trent University Archives in 2010.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records related to the Beta Sigma Phi of Peterborough, Ontario. Correspondence, minutes, notes, membership lists, treasurer reports, photographs, and newspaper clippings pertaining to the Area Council, the Laureate Delta Beta chapter, the Delta Chi chapter, the Epsilon Mu chapter, and the Xi Iota chapter are included. Also included are 13 photographs of inaugural activities of the Peterborough Beta Sigma Phi in the 1940s.
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds acquired from Sharon Simpkins in 2010.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Related Accessions: Preceptor Psi Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi fonds (07-005) and Xi-Iota Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi fonds (10-003).
13-001, 16-004, and 20-012 are additions to the fonds.
Delta Chi chapter: six photograph albums dated
1983-1984; 1986-1988; 1990-1991; 1991-1992; 1992-1993; 1993-1994
Beta Sigma Phi of Xi Iota chapter: one photograph album dated 1994-1995
Beta Sigma Phi: one photograph album dated ca. 1988-1996
Area Council Minutes, 1979-1985, and Treasurer Reports, Minutes and Agenda, 1980-1983 (one binder)
Beta Sigma Phi Area Council and Delta Chi chapter: List of Executives, 1980-1988, and Minutes and Agenda, 1984-1988 (one binder)
Photographs (13): 1940s; includes the following:
• "Orchestra playing at Peterborough Brock Dance Hall to raise money for War Bonds 1943 - The girls who organized the event are from Beta Sigma Phi Chapter of Phyllis Turkington White";
• "First Peterborough Chapter 1944... Pledge Ritual July 1944, Held at Empress Hotel";
• "Exemplar Ritual 1948";
• "... first Sorority Convention attended by Phyllis Turkington White... Toronto. Phyllis was chosen by lady from National and her Committee as "Belle of the Convention"... 1947";
• "Founders Day 1950";
• "Ritual of Jewels 1945...", etc.
Area Council minutes, September 1989 to March 1990; miscellaneous items
Area Council Cultural Events, 2000 & 2001
Epsilon Mu chapter: minutes, correspondence, etc. 1987-1989
Artifact: Gavel (rosewood), in a box with inscription: "Presented to Delta Chi on Founder's Day May 1, 1963 by directors Olga Middleton and Helen Wilson"
- Laureate Delta Beta chapter: minutes and correspondence, 1995-1999
- Laureate Delta Beta chapter: minutes and correspondence, 1999-2007
- Delta Chi chapter: minutes, correspondence, notes, etc., 1988-1990
- Delta Chi chapter: minutes, correspondence, notes, etc., 1990-1994