Title and statement of responsibility area
Jean Murray Cole fonds. Additions.
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Jean Murray Cole
Physical description area
42 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Jean Murray Cole (1927- ), former journalist, is a historian and writer with special interest in the history of Peterborough County and in the 19th century fur trade. She was formerly president of the Peterborough Historical Society and has published many books including Exile in Wilderness, and histories of several townships in Peterborough County such as The Loon Calls. Alfred O.C. Cole, husband of Jean Murray Cole, joined Trent University as Registrar and secretary of Senate in 1966. He was also a member of the history department and held the position of University Historian. He co-edited the Peterborough Historical Atlas, and in 1992, published "The Making of a University, 1957-1987". Alf Cole died in 1996.
Fonds was in the custody of Jean Murray Cole before it was donated to Trent University Archives in 2003.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of correspondence, manuscripts, published papers and booklets, and research materials relating to the many papers, articles, and books written by Jean Murray Cole
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds acquired in 2002 from Jean Murray Cole.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Some of the material is in French.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
This fonds is an addition to 99-1000.
For related records see: 75-1030, 77-030, 82-003, 84-004, 84-020, 88-014, 89-001, 89-1023, 91-1025, 93-024, and 95-002.
- Exile in the Wilderness: the biography of Chief Factor Archibald McDonald, 1790-1853 - original manuscript
- This Blessed Wilderness: Archibald McDonald's letters from the Columbia, 1822-44 - galley proof
- as above - manuscript and correspondence with publisher
- Origins: The History of Dummer Township - manuscript
- as above - contract, expenses, research material, notes, correspondence (includes photograph of Jean Cole at book launching)
- The Loon Calls: a history of the township of Chandos - manuscript, correspondence, newspaper clippings
- Whitman Sesquicentennial Conference, 1986 - paper given re The Tshimakain Mission (correspondence, manuscript)
- Fur Trade Days on the Lower Fraser produced by the Vancouver Historical Society, 1999 - paper given re Archibald McDonald (correspondence, manuscript)
- Rupert's Land Colloquium / Vancouver, 2000 - paper given re Archibald McDonald (manuscript)
- A Ranald MacDonald Day Celebration / Oregon Historical Society, 1989 - paper given re Ranald MacDonald (correspondence, manuscript)
- Canadian Forum article, 1975 - National Identity on the Table (manuscript, correspondence)
- Canadian Collector article,1978 - Hutchison House (manuscript, correspondence)
- Journal of Canadian Studies article, 1981 - "Keeping the Mind Alive": Literary Leanings in the Fur Trade (manuscript, correspondence)
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography submission, 1985 - Archibald McDonald (correspondence, manuscript (English and French))
- Peterborough Lift Lock guide book project (editor Jean Cole) - (correspondence, contract information, etc.)
- Copies of various published papers and articles by Jean Cole:
David Fife and Red Fife Wheat
Kawartha Lakes Regattas
Sandford Fleming: No Better Inheritance
Peterborough in the Hutchison-Fleming Era, 1845-1846
Catharine Parr Traill - Botanist
Exile in the Wilderness: Archibald McDonald's ten years at Fort Colvile
- Talks given by Jean Cole (includes subjects such as Margaret Laurence, Margaret MacKelvie, Dummer Township)
- Book reviews, 1968
- Toronto Star - article submissions and correspondence, 1982
- Trent: The Making of a University - letters to Alf Cole, 1992
- Peterborough Historical Atlas (new abridged edition) - newspaper clippings, publicity, correspondence
- A Victorian Snapshot: The Denne Collection.... - research material, rough notes
- Trent-Severn Waterway: research material (papers, publications, newspaper articles, 1984-2000)
- as above
"The Dowson/Dawson Family History 1653 to 1997, from Yorkshire, England to Ontario, Canada"