Title and statement of responsibility area
Shakespeare Club fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on creators of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Shakespeare Club
Physical description area
13 cm of textual records
ca. 50 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Shakespeare Club, Peterborough's oldest ladies' club, was founded by Dr. Jessie Birnie in approximately 1912. The club did not meet during World War I but has met continuously since 1918. For the most part the club studied and produced plays written by Shakespeare. Studies by the club have included queens of history, great rivers, famous women of history, political studies, world religions, famous authors, poets, playwrights, composers, artists as well as countries and ancient civilizations of the world including studies of these civilizations' arts and literature. Meetings were usually held in members homes with a paper being read about some aspect of what was currently being studied. Food befitting the topic of the occasion was usually supplied for after the meeting. Open meetings were popular as members were able to bring their husbands. The structure of the Club has changed over the years as parliamentary procedure gave way after, World War II, to peculiar Shakespearean rules. Membership elections were eliminated and other methods of selecting the executive were arranged over the years. The Club, with the advent of the Stratford festival, studied pieces being performed for particular seasons and started taking trips to Stratford, Ontario, Niagara-on-the-Lake and the National Arts Centre in Ottawa.
This fonds was in the custody of Dr. Fern Rahmel, president of the club from 1983 to 1984, before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of minutes, programs and membership lists of the Shakespeare Club which was a Peterborough women's club.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated by Dr. Fern Rahmel. New materials are added as they become non-current.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
1: History of the Club, 1912-1987; membership lists, programs, 1950- 1988
2: Sketches of Club members; toasts
3: Minutes, 1963-1969; 1968-1979
4: Chess trophy photograph
5: Miscellaneous material regarding Diamond anniversary
Folders 6 - 9: Minutes of meetings : 1953-1963; 1967-1968; 1979-1988; 1988-1995; 1995-2005
Materials added 2014 (received via Peggy Kruger).
Folder 10: Photographs, newspaper clipping, historical accounts, correspondence, membership list, etc. re the 100th anniversary of the Shakespeare Club, 2012. (Note: the photographs (38) are primarily of Club members; also included is a photographic reproduction of Dr. J. Bernie).
Materials added 2014 (received via Lucille Strath).
Materials added in 2018 (recieved via Catherine Dibbon).
Folder 11: Papers and minutes, 2010-2015; historical accounts (see also Folder 10); Peterborough Examiner article (10 December 2012)