Fonds 85-001 - Young Women's Christian Association fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Young Women's Christian Association fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description


    Reference code


    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area


    • 1908-1983 (Creation)
      Young Women's Christian Association

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    1 m of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    The Peterborough Young Women's Christian Association was founded 1891 when a young man, who greatly appreciated what the Y.M.C.A. had done for him, felt that a similar organization should be offered to women. With the support of Mr. Colville, secretary of the Y.M.C.A., a meeting was arranged at which sixteen ladies attended (two from each church). These ladies became the charter members of the Peterborough Young Women's Christian Association. The first meeting took place over Long's Confectionery Shop on George Street. Bible studies, educational classes and club group meetings were held there. In 1892 a house on the north side of Brock Street (near George Street) was furnished to serve as a Residence for young girls who had no homes in the town. Before long all the work of the Association was carried out at the Brock Street residence. The Peterborough Y.W.C.A. was actively involved in many of the conferences and new ideas that came into the Association. For instance it was one of the first associations to take up Industrial work and offer meetings, in 1909, for girls employed at the electrical works. In 1901 the Y.W.C.A. needed to move into larger quarters due to the expansion of its members. They were able to secure rooms, with the aid of Hon. Senator Cox, on the west side of George Street and stayed there for two years. In 1904 the Y.W.C.A. decided it needed a Y.W.C.A. building and purchased the lot on the corner of Simcoe and Aylmer Streets. The Hon. Senator Cox provided rooms in the Bank of Commerce Building and the rooms on George Street and the house on Brock Street were given up. Mrs. Cox laid the cornerstone September 7, 1904 and the new building was opened in 1905. In 1912 rooms at 133 Rubidge street were formally opened. In 1916 a swimming pool was built and by May 30, 1918 was able to be used. In 1919 the Y.W.C.A. rented a cottage on Stoney Lake as a summer camp. The aim of the Y.W.C.A. was to provide religious education as well as special clubs, classes and parties to encourage the development of the all-round girl who would be the woman of the future. The Y.W.C.A. was considered a fellowship. In 1929 the Y.W.C.A. purchased nine acres of land near the centre of Stoney Lake as a campground, called Camp Inglestane and charged $7.00 a week per girl. The camp was sold at the end of the 1940's. The Y.W.C.A. continued to act as an employment bureau and forming clubs in the industrial sector. In June, 1939 the Peterborough Y.W.C.A. became more newly equipped with a more modern gymnasium and a new pool was opened. A nursery school opened in 1960. The Y.W.C.A. continued to grow and develop with each new year and national and international changes. In 1967 the Y.W.C.A. purchased the Knights of Columbus building as a Centennial project. This building was adjacent to the original Y building and was called Stevenson Hall in memory of James E. Stevenson, the original owner of the property. (Taken from: "The Peterborough Y.W.C.A. 1891 to 1981." Box 3, folder 2, Trent University Archives.) In the original Y.W.C.A. building programs such as Crossroads, which was a program for battered women and a series of shelters, and "Y's Buys" were run. The original building which was on the corner of Simcoe and Aylmer, and had been sold a number of years ago, burnt down on February 15, 1996. (See "Arthur" Volume 30, Issue 19, February 27, 1996, p 8.)

    Custodial history

    This fonds was created by and in the custody of the Y.W.C.A. before it was donated to Trent University.

    Scope and content

    This fonds consists of records relating to the history, administration and programs of the Peterborough Young Women's Christian Association (Y.W.C.A.).

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Some of the scrapbooks are extremely frail and brittle. Do not photocopy.

    Immediate source of acquisition

    This fonds was donated by the Y.W.C.A.


    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access


        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Associated materials


        91-003, 94-011, 97-002, and 05-001 are additions to this fonds.

        General note


        Box 1


        1: Financial Reports: 1970 to 1979

        2: 1960 to 1969

        3: 1950 to 1959

        4: 1940 to 1949

        5: 1930 to 1939

        6: 1920 to 1929

        7: Gymnasium Record Book 1936 to 1937

        8: Correspondence, drawing regarding stairwell enclosure, 1961

        9: Peterborough south YWCA, correspondence 1954 to 1956

        10: National Board: minutes and correspondence, 1957 to 1961

        11: Correspondence and legal documents re: Knights of Columbus Building (Stevenson Hall) 1967 to 1976

        12: Bequests: correspondence and legal documents

        13: Programs: 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980.

        14: Newspaper clippings

        15: Photographs: sports activities, including the YWCA Ornamental Swim Club "The Silver Finnettes" from the 1930s, etc.; also included is a reproduction of an early photo of women boarding a boat (a sign near the boat reads "YWCA Camp")

        16: Miscellaneous

        Loose Items
        a: Program Minutes Book 1953 to 1955
        b: Board of Managers' Minutes 1908 to 1912
        c: Food Services Committee Minutes 1950 to 1955
        d: Menus 1960 to 1963

        Box 2

        Minutes, Reports, Correspondence:


        1: 1980
        2: 1978
        3: 1977
        4: 1976
        5: 1975
        6: 1974
        7: 1973
        8: 1972
        9: 1971
        10: 1970
        11: 1969
        12: 1968
        13: 1967
        14: 1966
        15: 1965
        16: 1964
        17: 1963
        18: 1962
        19: 1961
        20: 1960
        21: 1959
        22: 1958
        23: 1957
        24: 1956
        25: 1955
        26: 1954
        27: 1953
        28: 1952
        29: 1951
        30: 1950
        31: 1949
        32: 1948
        33: 1947
        34: 1946
        35: 1945
        36: 1944
        37: 1943
        38: 1942
        39: 1941
        40: 1940
        41: 1939
        42: 1938
        43: 1937
        44: 1936
        45: 1935
        46: 1934
        47: 1933
        48: 1932
        49: 1931
        50: 1930
        51: 1929
        52: 1928
        53: 1927
        54: 1926
        55: 1925
        56: 1924
        57: 1923
        58: 1922
        59: 1921
        60: 1920
        61: 1919
        62: no date

        Box 3


        1: Pamphlets

        2: History notes


        a: Scrapbook: "Remember When?" (located loose on top shelf above 85-001)

        b: Scrapbook: "Photographs & Memories"

        c: Scrapbook: "YWCA History .... 1983"

        d: Scrapbook: "YWCA History .... 1974-1975"

        e: Scrapbook: "YWCA History .... 1975-1976"

        f: Scrapbook: "Memories .... 1953-1975" (located loose on top shelf above 85-001)

        g: Fiftieth Anniversary booklet (published 1941)

        h: Song Book of the YWCA

        i: YWCA Centennial Booklet, 1855-1955 (2 copies)

        j: Scrapbook: "YWCA History .... 1953-1956"

        k: Scrapbook: "YWCA History .... 1957-1964"

        l: Scrapbook: "YWCA History .... 1964-1967"

        m: Awards/Presentations, 1954-1968

        n: Members' Council Minutes, 1957-1962

        o: Members' Council Minutes, 1951-1956

        p: Personnel Committee Minutes, 1949-1954

        Loose Volumes (located loose on top shelf above 85-001):

        1: Scrapbook: "YWCA History .... 1967-1973"

        2: Scrapbook: "YWCA History .... 1977-1979"

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Language of description

          Script of description


            Accession area