Fonds 84-015 - Carrying Place fonds. Additions

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Carrying Place fonds. Additions

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

84-015

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1941-1980 (Creation)
    Creator
    Carrying Place

Physical description area

Physical description

1 item

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Carrying Place is a narrow isthmus separating Weller's Bay and the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario. Carrying Place also connects Prince Edward County to the mainland. It is located 5 miles south of Trenton. Carrying Place was so named due to its location. It is situated at a point where the Indians and early settlers travelling by water had to portage to get from the Bay of Quinte to Lake Ontario. One of the first people to settle permanently in Carrying Place was Asa Weller in 1783. Robert Young, believed to the the second settler, received a land grant in 1792. Two other prominent families who helped to settle Carrying Place were the Wilkins and the Biggars. Some of these founding families' descendants still live in Carrying Place today. The first Church, St. John's Anglican, was built in 1811, and the first schoolhouse was opened in 1852. Unfortunately, Carrying Place never became the big city as was envisioned by the founding fathers.

Custodial history

This fonds was in the custody of Dr. Mary Northway before being donated to Trent University Archives.

Scope and content

This addition to the fonds consists of one large photograph album containing newspaper clippings, photographs, correspondence and biographical records regarding the Corrigan House and family of Carrying Place, Ontario. Also included is information on Asa Weller's family, B. Napier Simpson and drawings of the Corrigan house.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated by Dr. Mary Northway.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Associated material located at Archives of Ontario.

For related records see: 84-016, 85-008 and 86-007.

Related materials

Accruals

This fonds along with 86-007 is an addition to 73-004.

General note

Box 1

Photograph album
Album contains drawings by B. Napier Simpson of the Corrigan House at The Carrying Place, Prince Edward County. Also newspaper clippings and photographs of the house. There are also sheets of biographical information on the Asa Weller family and the Robertson, French and Corrigan families

Booklet Echoes and Reflections of Flora Morrison. Prepared by Dr. Mary Northway, edited by Prof. John Wadland

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres