Title and statement of responsibility area
Carrying Place fonds. Additions
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Carrying Place
Physical description area
6.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Carrying Place is a narrow isthmus separating Weller's Bay and the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario. Carrying Place also connects Prince Edward County to the mainland. It is located 5 miles south of Trenton. Carrying Place was so named due to its location. It is situated at a point where the Indians and early settlers travelling by water had to portage to get from the Bay of Quinte to Lake Ontario. One of the first people to settle permanently in Carrying Place was Asa Weller in 1783. Robert Young, believed to the the second settler, received a land grant in 1792. Two other prominent families who helped to settle Carrying Place were the Wilkins and the Biggars. Some of these founding families' descendants still live in Carrying Place today. The first Church, St. John's Anglican, was built in 1811, and the first schoolhouse was opened in 1852. Unfortunately, Carrying Place never became the big city as was envisioned by the founding fathers.
This fonds was in the custody of Dr. Mary L. Northway before being donated to Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
This addition to the fonds consists of records such as births, marriages, deaths and school records of Flora Morrison's family who resided in Carrying Place.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated by Dr. Mary L. Northway.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated material located at Archives of Ontario.
For related records see: 84-016, 85-008 and 86-007.
This fonds along with 84-015 are additions to 73-004.
Folder 1: Last will and testament of Martha Eleanor Morrison. Last will and testament of George Morrison. Correspondence with Carrying Place Cemetery. Deed for cemetery plot at Victoria Lawn Cemetery bill for funeral expenses, Martha Morrison Burial information for Flora MacDonald Morrison.
Folder 2: Insurance policies (home) 1970 and 1973 for Martha E. Morrison. Passport for Martha E. Morrison. Registration card for Martha E. Morrison for Rollason Insurance. Birth Certificate for Martha Eleanor (Corrigan). Letters about school attendance and age. Envelopes with jottings concerning Morrison family records, birth, deaths etc.
Folder 3: Passport: George Morrison and birth certificate; naturalization papers G. Morrison. Clippings of G. Morrison receiving bronze medal of Royal Humane Society. Registration Certificate 1940. Membership card, Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. Membership for American and Canadian Engineering Institute.
1: 7 small +1 negative unidentified photos.
2: 10 photos
3: Photo WWII June 1944 - one person is Duglad Morrison
4: Picture of Dugald and his grave stone with letter from Imperial War Graves Commission.
Folder 5: Correspondence from Flora Morrison to her parents and Dugald.