Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Carrying Place is a narrow isthmus separating Weller's Bay and the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario. Carrying Place also connects Prince Edward County to the mainland. It is located 5 miles south of Trenton. Carrying Place was so named due to its location. It is situated at a point where the Indians and early settlers travelling by water had to portage to get from the Bay of Quinte to Lake Ontario. One of the first people to settle permanently in Carrying Place was Asa Weller in 1783. Robert Young, believed to the the second settler, received a land grant in 1792. Two other prominent families who helped to settle Carrying Place were the Wilkins and the Biggars. Some of these founding families' descendants still live in Carrying Place today. The first Church, St. John's Anglican, was built in 1811, and the first schoolhouse was opened in 1852. Unfortunately, Carrying Place never became the big city as was envisioned by the founding fathers.