Title and statement of responsibility area
Robert Bowley fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the creator of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Robert E. Bowley
Physical description area
1.5 m of textual records
ca. 1600 slides
ca. 400 photographs
ca. 1200 negatives
ca. 50 stamps
2 audio videocassettes (VHS)
1 audio cassette.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Robert E. Bowley (1922-2001) was born in Hagersville, Ontario and moved to Peterborough in 1963. He married Kathleen Richmond Barclay and was a chemistry teacher, author, and historian. Bowley had an avid interest in stamp collecting and postal history, and was a volunteer postmaster in 1980 at Lang Pioneer Village, Keene. He was also president of the Peterborough Historical Society, and established Rebel Publishing in 1995 in order to publish his version of Mutiny on the Bounty.
This fonds was in the custody of Mrs. Kathleen Bowley before it was donated to Trent University Archives in August 2001.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of papers, articles, and manuscripts of books written by Robert Bowley. Included is research material, photographs, slides, and negatives relating to the postal history of Smith Township, Peterborough, and the surrounding area. Included also are letters dated 1823-1878 of the Baptie family who were situated in Ida, Ontario, and extensive research material related to Captain Charles Rubidge, Sir Sandford Fleming, the Pengelley/Roche families, S.J. Carver, and local historic sites. This fonds is a tremendous resource for information related to Peterborough and area in general.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was received from Mrs. Kathleen Bowley.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
For related records see: 91-1007, 91-1014, and 91-1018.
Outsized material located in Large Materials Cabinet - Drawer 40.
Slides: 66 boxes of slides relating to postal history in Peterborough and the surrounding area. The boxes are numbered 1 through 66. The slides have been maintained in their original boxes, and most boxes are labelled. The labels as they appear are provided in quotations. The slides depict postal cancellations, people, maps, city streets and buildings, documents, signatures, etc. Some of the slides are listed below.
- "P'bo [Peterborough] 1a"
Peterborough Club 1986 (building)
- "P'bo 1b"
William Weller 1837
Gravel road, Carver's house, looking towards Peterborough; house on south side, 1844
Original Fleming map 1846
James Hall, sheriff; R.D. Rogers, postmaster, Ashburnham; et al
[ ] Griffin, Dep'y PMG [deputy postmaster general]
Queen St., Peterborough 1986
Roger's 1856 building in Ashburnham
Harwood railway causeway 1860
Marianne Mackenzie, museum & mailbags c1860, 1986
- "P'bo 2c"
Samuel James Carver, postmaster
Henry Cassady Rogers, postmaster
- "P'bo 2d"
Post office building, Peterborough 1880
Lakefield railway station and locomotive 621, 1882; Lakefield - Ashburnham
William White, Dep P.M.G. [deputy postmaster general] 1888
John Cork[ery], clerk 1890, postmaster 1919-
- "P'bo 3a"
Post office, Peterborough 1890-
Chemong Park, Flying Express 1893
Bethune St., Peterborough, railway station in winter
- P'bo 3b"
Grand Trunk Railway (Midland), Bethune St. station, Peterborough c1895
Chemong Park Stage, 1896
"City of Peterborough" [boat] on Stoney Lake
- "P'bo 3c"
Peterborough post office c1907
- "P'bo 3d"
Warsaw to Peterborough stage 1916
- "4b" (empty)
Claude Mi[ll]ard 1965
- "Orig. slides Pbo 1840-70"
Fleming's original 1846 map
- "Pbo retirements 1978-1982"
- "Pbo city extras"
R.D. Rogers, reeve and postmaster, Ashburnham
Frances Stewart [drawing]
Charlotte and George Streets, Peterborough; aerial view 1919
- "Open - County A-B" [Ashburnham to Burleigh Falls]
"Esturion" [boat] at Mt Julian
- "Open - County C-F" [Century Village, Lang to Ennismore]
Sullivan farm: first post office, Douro 1856
various post office locations in Douro
Patrick Geo. Towns, postmaster, Douro
Sullivan's store and post office, Ennismore
- "County - Open F-K" [Fraserville to Kinmount]
Fraserville store and post office 1912
Haliburton post office 1896
Indian River, Duff store, 1889
Juniper Is. Post office
John Hunter, postmaster Kinmount
Mary Hunter, Kinmount
- "County Open L-Z" [Lakehurst to Woodview]
Lakehurst store and post office
Willy Shearer - Young, postmaster Lakehurst, c1918
- "County Closed A-E" [Bensfort to Ewan]
Coe Hill 1907 [winter farm scene]
- "Closed County F-H" [Faraday to Hiawatha]
Robert & Mary Jane McCauley, Haultain
Rice Lake Causeway 1860
- "Closed County H-L" [Holcomb to Lorenz]
Lang post office and store, 1909
[ ] Dinsdale, Lang
Dawson House, Lorenz
- "Closed County M-N" [Mathers to Nogies Creek]
[ ] Mather
Choates store and post office, McCrackens Landing
Jack Lyons, R.R. #3 Cavan
- "County closed N-X + Mt. Pleasant" [South Monaghan to Warkworth]
Hugh Irwin, Rockcroft
Robert Anderson, postmaster Round Lake, 1890-1906
Springville post office sketch 1858
Young's Point Stage c1925
Apsley post office
"Empress" [boat], Apsley [ ]
"Ogemah" [boat], Bobcaygeon
"Esturion" steamer [boat]
Mossom Boyd, postmaster Bobcaygeon
Post office, Bobcaygeon c1870; [ ] Tripper, postmaster
[ ] Junkin, postmaster 1875-1897, Bobcaygeon
J[ohn] store and post office, Bridgenorth 1897
Dean post office, Bridgenorth c1860
First floating bridge, Chemong Lake, Bridgenorth, opened 24 May 1870
Chemong causeway, ice damage
"Ogemah" [boat] at Chemong Park
Robert Weavers, Cavan, 1820
- "Chandos Twp"
Post office, Chandos, c1940
- "N. Douro, Lakefield"
"Stoney Lake" ship, mail carrier
Lakefield post office 1927; built 1914-1918
- "Hall's Br. Buckhorn" [Hall's Bridge]
Sleigh stage, Lakehurst-Buckhorn-Peterborough
Stage, Lakehurst-Hall's Bridge
"Ogemah" [boat], Hall's Bridge 1907
"Ogemah" [boat], Lovesick Lake
Bert Easson & Buckhorn Stage 1935
"Manita" [boat], Fenelon c1905
- "Ida Closed"
Helen Agnes Baptie Lough, 1915
William Howe Lough, postmaster Ida, 1915
Howson's store and post office, Keene
- "Lang - B's Exhibit"
[slides of an exhibit and Robert Bowley]
W. Vance, postmaster Millbrook
Millbrook Station post office
Byam's post office, Millbrook Station
Norwood post office
[ ] Butterfield, postmaster Norwood
[ ] Foley, postmaster Norwood
J.B. Pearce, postmaster Norwood
Stage House, Norwood
- "Smith: Chemong-Curve Lake, [Fowler's Corners], Kawartha Park, Selwyn"
Tom Bell, postmaster Selwyn, 1880-1907
"Water Lily" [boat], Stoney Lake
"North Star" [boat], Stoney Lake
Fowler's Corners, 1927
Chemong Lodge, Curve Lake
Daniel E. Whetung, postmaster Curve Lake, 1920-1948
- "Introd. Smith"
Lt. Col. Bouchette, surveyor
Choate store and post office, Warsaw 1952
Squire Brackenridge c1900
Fife's & Fowlds' store, Westwood
- "Young's Point"
Kearney's, Young's Point [building]
Patrick Young, Sr., postmaster Young's Point, "Nathaway"
Jenny Kearney fishing
- "Northern Twps."
- "Claraday - Sub 7, Cr. [Crawfords] Grove - Sub 15, Set 2"
- "Byersville, Downer [Downer Corners], McMartinville, Claraday"
- Cavan store, Fowler's Corners, Ida, Springville, Mount Pleasant, Goodfellow's store, Springville 1858 [sketch]
- Burleigh, Jack Lake, Woodview
- Apsley, Mt. Julian
Thompson's ["Naiad"] [boat], Mt. Julian
Hilliard Reid & [democrat] at Cassidy's Restaurant near Burleigh Falls [horse & buggy]
Allan Church & democrat, post office Apsley 1908 [horse & buggy]
Wm. & Mrs. Hales, postmaster Apsley, 1912-1920
Hilliard Reid, International Chain-drive [vehicle]
- "Sub 3-6" [sub post office]
- "Subs 8-17"
Graham's Tavern [sketch]
- Sub post offices
- Sub post offices
- Sub post offices
- Sub post offices
- "County [ ] maps"
Chewett map 1826
- "Fleming extra"
Sandford Fleming's office, Toronto 1851
The Birth of Standard time, Rexwoods
Sketch of SS Otonabee [boat]
Post office float [parade float] 1927
Morrow Building 1969
Wm. Stewart 1909
Grand Trunk Railway at station, Peterborough, c1910
Peterborough Club corner c1900
North side of Hunter, George & Water Streets, Peterborough c1890
- [Peterborough post office 1955]
Peterborough post office 1906
- Peterborough, etc.
Richard Birdsall Rogers
Towns Store, Douro
James Zacheus Rogers, Canoe Co.
- Keene, etc.
"Stoney Lake" [boat], steamer at Burleigh
Keene Railway Station
- Peterborough 1950s
- "Early Peterborough City & County Postal story"
65 slides depicting postal cancellations, and people, maps, documents, etc. Some of the subjects of the slides are listed below:
Map: Smith-Town 1820
Thomas Alexander Stewart
Auburn cottage 1847
Map 1825: [Bethune] store
Bouchette map 1831 showing 3 post offices: Cavan, Peterborough, Monaghan
Government House c1832
Captain Charles Rubidge
Rubidge farm, Otonabee
Railway station, Millbrook
Old post office, Millbrook station
Thomas Choate, postmaster Warsaw 1842
Choate's store and post office, Warsaw
Peter Pearce, warden, postmaster, Havelock; R.D. Rogers, reeve, postmaster, Ashburnham; James Foley, auditor, postmaster, Norwood; et al
Marcus Dean, postmaster 1854-1894; Bridgenorth
John Reid, Smith Township
Negatives: 54 rolls of black & white negatives relating to postal history; each roll is numbered and the numbers are as follows: 1-22, 24-26, 32, 35-49, 51-60 (Note: there are two number 58's and two number 60's); also a roll entitled Mt. Pleasant and a folder of loose negatives.
Included in the box is a folder of lists of negatives; these lists largely correspond with the rolls of negatives. The lists are numbered 1-22, 24-27, 30-33, 35-47, 60-61.
Note: Several of the negatives duplicate the photographs and slides in this fonds.
Folders 1&2: Covers, stamps, postal cancellations (photocopies, photographs, originals) of the following locations: Peterborough, Hall's Bridge, Buckhorn, Rockcroft, Nogies Creek, Lakehurst, Stewart Hall, Ashburnham, Asphodel, Millbrook, Belleville, Keene, etc.
Folder 3: Photographs
- Letter carriers, 1951
- [back room scene inside a post office], 1908 (2 copies)
- Harry Elliot in front of Elliot's Store, c1900
- Hilton Palmer, R.R.#1, Peterborough
- Pat Greer's store & Post Office
- Jone's "West Beech Boarding House & Store", N. shore, Buckhorn
- C.P.R. station, Peterborough, c1897
- Samuel James Carver, headstone at Little Lake Cemetery, Peterborough
- Harry Shearer's Dodge 'Stage' & Bert Easson, Lakehurst via Buckhorn & Lakefield to Peterborough & return, 1935; ["Buckhorn Stage" on side of vehicle]
- Wm. John Shearer, postmaster, Lakehurst, 1918-1942
- Mrs. Norma Taws, postmaster, 1980-
- Joyce McMurtrie, postmaster [Lakehurst], 1972-1978
- F. Gordon Dolquen & Charles Taws, Lakehurst General Store, 1987
- General Store, B. Eason, Lakehurst
- Hilton Palmer retires after 39 years postal carrier, R.R.#1, Lakehurst, April 30, 1986
- Nogies Creek Post Office sign on door of General Store, c1940
- Nogies Creek - 1st store in porch of home, c1940
- Nogies Creek - Wm. Junkin, wife Mabel, and friend, in front of General Store, c1947-1961
- Quentin Moore, Bobcaygeon to Nogies Creek, c1914 summer [man with horse & buggy]
- Jean & Jim Beatty, feeding a fawn by the east door of the store, c1920
- Jean & Jim Beatty on boardwalk, c1910
- Peterborough-Warsaw stage, 1916; Mrs. V. Moher; inscription on front: "Stage Similar to this Ran Daily from Warsaw to Peterborough via Douro (circa 1916), (Mrs. V. Moher)"
- Winter Stage, Lakehurst to Buckhorn (2 copies)
- Summer Stage, Lakehurst to Buckhorn
- Steamer "Otonabee" [boat], Peterborough, Ontario
- Peterborough, Queen St. area showing Eaton's, 
- Peterborough, Queen St. area showing Fontaine's Cycle and St. John's Anglican Church, 1988
- Peterborough, area of Water St. and Hunter St. in foreground; Charlotte Street apartment buildings in background
- Post Office, Bridgenorth 
- red truck with circular red canniest sign on roof; right hand drive truck for snow banks, Fraserville R.R.
- Sidney Lewington, retired 1981 after serving 25 years 9 months; "RCEy o/s 4 yrs"
- Bos., Roy Dunlop, Malery, 1980
- Malery & Eldon Harrison, 1980
- Frank Goselin & Haig Bothwell
- Annie [Whibbs], Indian River
- Burleigh Falls, The Trading Post
- Burleigh Falls [photo of a large steamboat [Otonabee?] launched at a dock on a rocky point]
- Burleigh Falls, Bob Brown Rock A Way Roadside Market
- Burleigh Falls Post Office
- Mrs. Annie McKee, Postmistress at [Lasswade], Jan. 16, 1925 - Sept. 16, 1946
- as above
- Hugh Irwin
- Margaret Rachel & Geo. Allen Irwin (parents of Hugh Irwin), Rockcroft
- Peterborough mail bag
- Peterborough mail bag c1860, held by Marianne Mackenzie 1986
- unidentified woman
- unidentified large group of men in uniform posing for photograph in front of a building
- unidentified woman
- unidentified woman
- Port Hope & Peterborough Railway, Great Western Railway of Canada
- Photograph of drawing of ships passing under a bridge
- Photograph of drawing of ships near a coastline
- Photograph of a Port Hope & Peterborough Railway 1864 broadside
- Photograph of a Grand Junction Railway, Peterborough to Belleville route, 1880 broadside
- Photograph of a map showing Queen Street and St. John's Anglican Church area in Peterborough
- "Salada Tea" window dressing in a store front
- Two-storey building with car in front
- Frazerville, store and post office in background, "waiting for train", c1912
- Post office building, Peterborough 1880 - "Built in 1880 - Elaborate Victorian architecture…"
- John Cork[ery], clerk 1890, postmaster 1919-
- Lakefield post office
- Photograph of "List of Letters remaining in the Peterborough Post Office Dec 3… S.J. Carver, Post Master"
- Reid & mail carrier, international chain-driven
- Reynolds, postmaster Clanricarde, 192-1948: home & post office
- Amos Forbes, Glen Alda 1930-1949
- Isabella Knowlan, Millbrook
- First car to travel Burleigh Road, passenger & mail, Mt. Julian-Apsley
- "Speed-wagon" [car] 1912
- Rose Island post office, Harold Campbell 1928 (son of James Campbell, postmaster 1928-1945)
- Cliff W[ ], postmaster Owenbrook 1941
- Young's post office, Chandos 1926-1948
- Sign welcoming visitors to Curve Lake First Nation
- Hilliard Reid & "Democrat" [horse & buggy]
- Hilliard Reid & "Democrat" c1900 at Apsley post office
- Montgomery's; Clydesdale post office 1922-1944
- Sarah Viola Campbell, postmaster Rose Island 1945-1950
- Clydesdale post office, Caldwell house
- Chandos post office 1880-1926, Kilburn house
- Laura Johnson, daughter of Willis Johnson, postmaster Chandos 1920-1926
- Clydesdale post office, Clayton Hilker's home
- Glen Alda post office, Forbes house
- J.J. Scotts, first courier on R.R. #1 Apsley 1950-1961
- Mrs. Joan Hilker, courier R.R. #1 Apsley 1972-
- Norman Wilson, mail carrier Peterborough-Apsley 1928-1940
- Mrs. Ernest (Agnes) Walke, postmaster Owenbrook 1939-1941
- Cliff Walke, house-store-post office of E. Walke
- Fred Wheeler, postmaster Owenbrook 1910-1925
- Ernest Walke
- James W. Campbell, postmaster Rose Island 1928-1945
- Robert Boyle / Robert Hooke plaque [1660s]
- Fire truck / fire station painting on side of building
- "1856" Rogers Building front facade (moved to Quaker Oats Co., Peterborough, property in 1987) (2 copies)
- "Rogers Building 1856" plaque [as above] (2 copies)
- Large group of uniformed men in front of "new city hall", 1953 ["HE White - Post Master"]
- Large group of men "inside new Post Office in front of Transorma Sorting Machine", 1954
- Japanese geisha tapestry (photograph)
- Photograph of several postal executive members and of post office (negative attached)
Folder 4: Lang, Ontario post office: photographs (includes photo of a steer [Lang Pioneer Village]); research material; "Navigating A Nation A Scenic Set": layout with original stamps
Folder 5: Old Post Office, Peterborough, N.W. corner of Hunter & Water Streets: research material
Folder 6: General, County: postal history research material
Folder 7: Miscellaneous research material relating to post offices (includes photographs)
Folder 8: Miscellaneous research material relating to post offices (includes photographs & dinner menu for Ontario Postmasters' Association Banquet held in Peterborough, 1953)
Folder 1: Postal history research material: pre-January 1830; Tupper (post office secretary, Peterborough, 1829), James Ferguson (Cobourg postmaster, 1834)
Folder 2: S.J. Carver (1802-1892), postmaster, Peterborough: research material
Folder 3: Ephraim Sanford (1782? - 1844), postmaster, Peterborough: research material
Folder 4: Henry Rogers, postmaster, Peterborough, 1871-1909: research material
Folder 5: Anstruther: Apsley, Hadlington: postal history research material (includes photographs)
Folder 6: Asphodel: Hastings, Norwood, Westwood, Birdsall's Station: postal history research material (includes photographs)
Folder 7: Belmont: Blairton, Chase Corners, Wariston, Cordova Mines, Havelock, Holcomb, Preveneau, Rockdale, Round Lake, Rush Point, Trent River: postal history research material
Folder 8: Bobcaygeon: postal history research material
Folder 9: Burleigh: Burleigh Falls, Haultain, Mt. Julian, Woodview, Juniper Island: postal history research material
Folder 10: Cavan: Bailieboro, Glamorgan, Ida, Millbrook, Millbrook Station, Morrow, Mount Pleasant, Kelmar: postal history research material
Folder 11: Cavendish: Catchacoma (Stratton), Fortescue, Mississauga Landing: postal history research material (includes photograph & slide)
Folder 12: Chandos: Chandos Lake, Clanricarde, Clydesdale, Glen Alda, Lasswade, Owenbrook, Rose Island: postal history research material
Folder 13: Dummer: Boschink, Centre Dummer, Clariva, Cottesloe, Crowe's Landing, Gilchrist Bay, Hall's Glen, McCracken's Landing, South Dummer, Stoney Lake, Warsaw: postal history research material
Folder 14: Douro: Guerin, Indian River, Nassau, South Douro, North Douro, Lakefield: postal history research material
Folder 15: Ennismore: postal history research material
Folder 16: Galway: Ewan, Galway, Galena, Kinmount, Mt. Irwin, Silver Lake, Union Creek: postal history research material
Folder 17: Harvey: Nogie's Creek, Lakehurst, Burleigh Falls: postal history research material (includes photographs)
Folder 18: Methuen: Jack Lake, Vansickle, Nephton, Coe Hill, Maple Grange, Oak Lake, MacDonald Bay: postal history research material
Folder 19: Monaghan (South & North): Bailieboro, Byersville, Brownton, Frazerville, Lorenz, Bensfort, South Monaghan, Springville, Morrow, Monaghan, Smith Bank: postal history research material
Folder 20: Norfolk Island: postal history research material
Folder 21: Otonabee [Otanabee]: Alandale Mills, Drummond Station, Graystock, Hiawatha, Jermyn, Keene, Lang, Mathers, Otonabee: postal history research material (includes photographs and negatives)
Folder 1: Smith: Bridgenorth, Buckhorn, Curve Lake, Fowler's Corners, Hall's Bridge, Kawartha Park, N. Douro (Lakefield), Selwyn: postal history research material (includes manuscript, etc. for publication "History of the Post: Smith Township" by Robert Boley - see also Folder 5)
Folder 2: North 8 Townships: Cardiff, Dysart, Dudley, Glamorgan, Harcourt, Minden, Monmouth, Snowdon: postal history research material (includes a box of slides, photographs, negatives, & a copy of "Family History: Francis Laundry, 1811-1887")
Folder 3: Rural routes and sub post offices: research material, photographs, partial camera-ready manuscript
Folder 4: Sub post offices, satellite post offices, and rural routes: Byersville, Brownton, Crawford's Grove, Downer Corners, McMartinville: research material
Folder 5: "History of the Post: Smith Township" / by Robert E. Bowley, 1990 research material, manuscript (see also Folder 1) (includes photographs)
Folder 6: "History of the Post: Smith Township" (cont'd) manuscript, cover & preamble, & folders entitled Selwyn, Fowler's Corners, Young's Point, Curve Lake, Bridgenorth, Kawartha Park, Hall's Bridge (Buckhorn), North Douro (Lakefield) (includes numerous photographs)
Folder 7: "History of the Post: Peterborough" / by Robert E. Bowley manuscript
Folder 8: "History of the Post: Peterborough" (cont'd) camera-ready manuscript [unpublished]
Folder 9: "History of the Post: Peterborough" (cont'd) 1 manuscript & 1 paper (shorter versions than that in folder 7)
Folder 10: "History of the Post: Peterborough" (cont'd) bibliography
Folder 11: "History of the Post: Peterborough" (cont'd) history of the Morrow building (includes an envelope of cancelled stamps)
Folder 1: Captain Charles Rubidge: paper re Rubidge by Robert E. Bowley, correspondence, research material
Folder 2: "Plaqued Historic Sites in Peterborough and Area" / by Robert Bowley, 1998 photographs, slides, negatives with accompanying lists
Folder 3: "Plaqued Historic Sites in Peterborough and Area" (cont'd) camera-ready manuscript (includes an original postcard "Fire Station, Peterborough, Ont., Canada", 1910)
Folder 4: "Historic Plaques in Peterborough & County (and their subjects) / by Robert Bowley, Peterborough Historical Society - paper
Folder 5: Papers, speeches, talks, slide shows by Robert Bowley; also newspaper articles re book launches, etc.
"Where was Brockland?" 1995
"Tutankhamen (King Nebkheprure) : 1369-1350 BC" 1979
"Wildlife on Postage Stamps" 1976
"South Pacific Philately - the Present Situation", K.P.S. meeting 1969
"Copying on a budget" in Prisme Pentax Prism, 1985
Slide talk to Smith Township Historical Society, 1997
"The Early General and Postal History of Peterborough Area" 1995
Slide talk on the Roches 1994
"Canadian Art to 1939"
"History of the Post: Harvey Township"
"Highlights of Ontarians and Ontario History: A Philatelic Study" 1997
"Postal History of North Monaghan"
Rebel Publishing: article which begins "These two Canadian postage stamps were issued on 17 June 1998… canals and locks"
"Direct Colour Prints from Polished and Thin Sections" (plus related correspondence, photographs, etc.)
several talks on Stamp Collecting
Folder 1: "Sir Sandford Fleming and The Unfolding of Canada (1845-19150: a Philatelic Study" / by R..E. Bowley manuscript, typescript, and published copy (signed by R.E. Bowley)
Folder 2: "Sir Sandford Fleming…" (cont'd) research material, photographs, slides, negatives; includes a copy of "Sandford A. Fleming 1827-
Loose in box: Materials related to Sir Sandford Fleming - poster with Fleming brochures, etc. attached; 5 boxes of slides numbered 1-5; 1 audio cassette tape; 2 VHS tapes entitled "Sir Sandford Fleming and the Unfolding of Canada" 1 & 2
Large Materials Cabinet - Drawer 40
Poster entitled "The Birth of Standard Time" (Sir Sandford Fleming)
Folder 1: "The Family History of Cmdr. John Roche R.N. and His Descendants" / by Robert Bowley spiral bound copy
Folder 2: "Connections Between the Names Pengelley, Brock, Roche & Scriven in Monaghan Township" / by Robert Bowley camera-ready manuscript
Folders 3-6: "Connections Between… " (cont'd) research material, photographs, correspondence, negatives
Folder 7: "Connections Between… " (cont'd) research material including copies of early correspondence and documents with accompanying transcriptions
Folder 8: "Connections Between… " (cont'd) slides, photographs, negatives
Folder 9: "Connections Between… " (cont'd) 8 boxes of slides
Loose in Box: "Connections Between… " 2 rolls of outsized research materials (photocopies)
Folder 10: Correspondence primarily related to Robert Bowley's research on postal history, 1972-1998
Folder 11: Treaty between Six Nations and The Ojibways, 1840 (typescript)
Folder 12: Baptie family letters: 12 letters dated 1823-1878 [Note: "from Scotland, Grandfather's Old Letters 1823" written on outside of envelope; "Mr. R.W. Lough, Ida, Ontario" is written on envelope label]
- from Alex Baptie to his son, Alex Baptie, teacher, Belford, 1823
- from Jas. Richardson, West Hill, to his sister Hellen Richardson, Tedburgh, 1838
- from J. Richardson, Chelsea, London, to his sister, c/o Mr. Babtie, Bouchester Bridge, 1840, re his sisters departure for America
- from Wm. Sibbald, Scotland, to his friend, Alexander Baptie, blacksmith, Cavan, Port Hope, 1843, re high unemployment rate and difficult economic situation in Scotland
- from Bouchester Bridge, 1844
- from Alex Baptie, Falstone, to his daughter-in-law regarding the death her husband (his son), 1856
- from James Richardson, Putney Hill, England to his sister Helen, 1857
- from Alexr Baptie, Falstone, to his grandson, 1858 re a portrait of the grandchildren which had been sent
- from Alexr Baptie, Falstone, to his grandson, Alexr Baptie, 1861
- from Fanny Thompson, Cavan, to her friend, Mrs. Babty, 1863
- from John W. Lowes, Cavan, to his friend, 1864 re news of putting in crops and the poor "shuger making" season
- Helen A. Baptie, Ida, Ontario, 1878: prayers, etc.
(Note: this item lists two family deaths: "Died at Ida Ont. 27th April 1878 Alexander Baptie P.M. [postmaster] Ida aged 39 years"; "Mrs Helen Baptie died Feb. 23rd 1872 at Ida Ontario")
Large Materials Cabinet - Drawer 40
Poster entitled "The Birth of Standard Time" (Sir Sandford Fleming)