Title and statement of responsibility area
Harley R. Cummings fonds. Additions.
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Harley R. Cummings
Physical description area
.5 m of textual records.
Includes 22 photographs.
Ca. 40 maps & plans.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Harley Richard Cummings was born in 1909 in Bond Head, Ontario, the son of Dr. James A. and Mildred Cummings. In 1933, after obtaining an Honours BA from the University of Toronto and graduating from the Ontario College of Education, he began teaching at the Boys' Vocational School and the Glashan Intermediate School and York Street School in Ottawa. In 1942, he was a volunteer education officer with the Royal Canadian Air Force and later became a flight lieutenant. At the conclusion of World War II, Cummings returned to Ottawa and, over the next twenty years, was school principal at a number of schools. Of significant importance is Cummings' book, Early Days in Haliburton, which he wrote in 1962. It includes an introduction by Ontario Premier Leslie Frost. Cummings married Shirley Stotesbury in 1964. He died at the age of 90 on May 10, 1999.
This fonds was in the custody of Mrs. Shirley Cummings before it was donated to Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of maps and plans of the Ottawa and Haliburton areas, time-books of Bronsons and Weston logging firm, and photographs of the building of a railway, and of the Haliburton area. Included also are research material and manuscripts relating to books which Harley R. Cummings wrote about schools in the Ottawa area, and on the history of Haliburton. Included are notes on John Strachan and a transcript of his diary. The fonds also includes several genealogical charts of the MacCallum family.
Several of the time-books located in Box 4 are moldy; 4 have been encapsulated in mylar. A mask and cotton gloves must be worn when handling. Researchers must handle at their own risk.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated by Mrs. Shirley Cummings.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
This fonds is an addition to 00-001
Outsized material is located in the Large Materials Cabinet - Drawer 40. Maps and plans are located in the Maps Cabinet - Drawer 11, and in the Maps Box in the Manuscripts Room.
Boxes 1 & 2
Research notes and manuscripts relating to the history of schools in Ottawa; also included is a "Lovell's Series of School Books" catalogue, Montreal, August 1864
Loose in box: Research notes relating to John Strachan (first Bishop of Toronto, Archdeacon of York, and schoolmaster in Upper Canada); also, a transcript of John Strachan's diary
1: Photographs depicting the building of a railway line; the "Victoria Railway engine, S.C. Wood on trestle near Kinmount"; the village of Haliburton; Town Hall, and Hotel, Haliburton; the house of C.S. Stewart; "Philemon Wright's Mill and Tavern, Hull, by H. Duvernet" (photograph of drawing); and several people and buildings unidentified (21 photographs in total)
Newspaper clippings re Dr. Charles E. Frain, and railways in Haliburton and Belleville
"The Beauharnois Canal Question", Montreal, 1873 (pamphlet)
Jean Evelyn Graves - photograph and biographical account
Time-books of Bronsons and Weston, lumbering operators, York Branch of Madawaska River, 1871-1884 (22 time-books)
(Note: Several time-books are moldy; 4 have been encapsulated in mylar. A mask and cotton gloves must be worn when handling. Researchers must handle at their own risk).
Large Materials Cabinet - Drawer 40
framed watercolour of horse and carriage on a bridge near a water falls
genealogical charts of the following families:
John MacCallum (Margaret MacDonald)
Alexander MacCallum & Catherine McGillvray
Janet MacCallum MacLean
Catherine MacCallum Campbell
John MacCallum (Elizabeth King)
- "The Standard: Canada's Aid to the Allies and Peace Memorial: Victory" / edited by Frederic Yorston, The Montreal Standard Publishing Co. Limited, n.d.
Maps Cabinet - Drawer 11
"A Map of the Province of Upper Canada", second edition, 1813 (copy, mounted on cardboard)
"Park and Villa Lots on the Mackay Estate at Ottawa", n.d. (map and text describing approximately 1000 acres for sale along the Ottawa River and Rideau River), (copy)
"Ottawa City, 1854, Sussex and Rideau Sts. from Barrack Hill now Parliament Hill", bird's eye view (copy)
"Government Map of part of the Huron and Ottawa Territory Upper Canada...", 1861 (copy, in 2 sections)
Hand-drawn map depicting hardwood and red and white pine stands, and "Indian [farms]" in an area within the boundaries of York Branch, Camerons Lake, Mud Lake, and "Opeongoe", and 5 1/2 miles from McCauls, n.d. (original, on linen)
"Plan of part of the Yorkbranch and Egans Creek, River Madawaska, showing the position of the limits licensed to McCaul Brothers & J. Egan", 1854 (original, on linen)
Various maps and plans of Bytown, Chaudiere Falls, City of Ottawa, Nepean, 1827-1878, ca. 30 maps/plans, (copies)
Province of Ontario: Department of Lands and Forests: Forest Resources Inventory. 4 inches: 1 mile, 108cm x 139cm, original, n.d. (Map 1). Maps Box. (Note: unidentified pencil drawing to scale on reverse side).
City of Ottawa. 1 inch: 1200 feet, 90cm x 145cm, original, publisher: Corporation of the City of Ottawa, serial no. 92402, January 22, 1951, revised to March 1, 1965, 2 copies. (Map 2). (Note: some areas on both maps have been hand-coloured).