This item is a photocopy of a typescript of a letter from J.B. McWilliams to Dean B.E. Fernow at the University of Toronto giving a very detailed account of timber licences in the Trent Valley (first licences, abandoned or cancelled licences) and of the amount of lumber taken out in 1872-1873 as opposed to 1912. His concerns were conservation and failing that, reforestation of the area. He also describes the Trent system of forest conservation. The letter is dated December 16, 1912.
This item is a photocopy of a letter from A.G. Fleming, of Kirkcaldy, Scotland, to his sons, David and Sandford, in Canada.Topics discussed include difficulties in booking passage to Canada, activities of David, and those of (later Sir) Sandford in railways. Also mentioned is Dr. Hutchison, Peterborough's first doctor, as well as incidences of grave illness and quarantining of newly-landed emigrants. The letter is dated July 16, 1847.
This 8-page, typewritten manuscript is entitled "Folk Songs of Peterborough" and consists of a brief overview of the folk song tradition of the Peterborough area. Fowke indicates that the Peterborough region is one of the richest in Ontario and credits this in large part to the significant Irish representation in the County. She mentions by name individuals who can sing old songs brought from the old country, or songs learned in the lumbering shanty and carried down from generation to generation. She quotes songs that give specific reference to places such as Kinmount, Omemee, Gannon's Narrows, Tory Hill, etc. Farming traditions, love ballads, and jail terms all find their places in the canon.
This item is a small notebook containing local baseball scores and list of team members, 1913-1915. Arthur Bailey was the catcher for the Mount Pleasant team. There are also records of the Ontario Hockey Association and professional hockey, 1914-1915, including lists of players, game summaries and scores.
This fonds consists of three notebooks filled with newspaper clippings which reflect the exploits and accomplishments of three generations of the Barker family, and which incidentally reveal much of contemporary life. The first notebook dated 1860-1905 speaks mainly of the life of Dr. Edward John Barker, founder and editor of the Kingston newspaper "The British Whig", and later the daily "Whig." Dr. Barker's son, R.W. Barker, postmaster, and later postal inspector in London, Ontario, is the second figure of consequence in this volume. R.W. Barker apparently had a good voice and the record shows his participation in entertainment on many occasions. The second notebook deals primarily with the life of Captain R.K. Barker in the Boer War. It covers dates 1899-1901 (& some later), and reveals in significant detail the involvement of the Canadian contingent in the Imperial campaign. The third book, 1915-1919, recounts the Canadian contribution to World War I as revealed in newspaper articles (primarily Toronto newspapers), with some references to Lt. Col. R.K. Barker and his brother Capt. W.D.P. Barker.
The 10 microfilm reels deal with the decennial manuscript census for 1901 of Peterborough County and Town, Victoria County, Northumberland County, Durham County and Hastings County. Genealogical resource.
This item is a minute book of commissioners', subscribers' and annual and special meetings of the Belmont Municipal Telephone System, preceder to the Bell Telephone Company and the Havelock-Cordova Telephone Company.
This fonds consists of seven scrapbooks of newspaper clippings relating to the history of the 127th Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Forces (Queen's York Rangers) which were compiled by Captain J.C. Boylen.
This item is a letter book related to carpentry, contracting and building activities in the Colborne, Ontario, area. It contains some interesting material on house construction in terms of methods and materials. It also contains some information on Colborne area churches. The letter book has a partial index to the correspondence of William Ives.
This item is a journal of events kept by the Post Manager at Eastmain, Outfit 260, James Bay District of the Hudson's Bay Company. His instructions were to record weather conditions, temperatures, activities of Inuit and Native fur trade, animal and bird migration patterns, supply ship and passenger activity, mail arrivals and news of Revillon Freres at an adjoining post. A transcription of the Journal is available.
This item is a photocopy of Dr. Hutchison's birth register of his patients, which he kept during his practice in Port Hope, Cobourg and Peterborough. It is taken from the doctor's lecture note-book, from his days as a medical student in Glasgow (1815). The birth register contains births from 1817 to 1846.
Fonds consists of one ledger identified as having belonged to Moscrip, Allan & Company. The business sold hardware, machinery, and farm equipment, and repaired same. Some customers were contractors, blacksmiths, wagoners; addresses of customers were Hamilton Township, Cobourg, Oshawa, Peterborough, Port Hope, and Bowmanville. Some business was carried on with schooners. Other customers included Dr. Gilchrist; Thomas Trail [Traill]; Cobourg-Peterborough Distillery; Ontario Distillery; Cobourg, Peterborough & Marmora Railway and Mining Co.; R.A. Waddell, Sheriff; and merchants and farmers. Accounts for 1867 listed Trustees of Common Schools with charges for two school bells. The ledger includes an index.
This item is a day book of T.B. Collins. It has daily entries from June 27, 1884 to August 22, 1885 showing the sales of general merchandise, as well as several entries "to cash". From October 1885 to November 1903, entries are in the form of accounts, are not daily, and deal mostly with cash exchanges. Also included are entries relating to mortgages; details of expense accounts for building barns, houses and other buildings and items. In the back of the book, entries are headed "Pump Business:, December 1884-October 1885.
This item is a mathematics work book which belonged to Mary Jane Moncrief in 1861. In it there are samples of decimal currency, reductions of weights and measures, compound addition and subtraction, percentages and many other mathematical exercises.
This 73-page typewritten manuscript is an anecdotal record of the information McBain amassed about the properties in northeast Cavan Township. It includes a record of the hamlet of Springville west of the Cavan-Monaghan boundary and of Fairmount (formerly Morrow), a crossroads on the 12th Line, and references to Ida and Mount Pleasant on the middle road. There are in-depth references to properties and families on the 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th lines east of the middle road to the Monaghan boundary.