Title and statement of responsibility area
Dr. Mary Louise Northway fonds. Additions.
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Dr. Mary Louise Northway
Physical description area
1 folder of textual materials.
1 8 mm film.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Dr. Mary Louise Northway, born in 1909, was the daughter of A. Garfield Northway and Mary McKellar and the granddaughter of John Northway, founder of the Northway Company Limited and John Northway and Son Limited. Mary was educated in Toronto and graduated from the University of Toronto, (B.A. 1933, M.A. 1934, and Ph.D. 1938). Mary did her graduate work at Cambridge University in England. Dr. Northway taught psychology at the University of Toronto from 1934 to 1968, and the last fifteen years of her tenure were as Supervisor of Research at the Institute of Child Study. She also earned international recognition as a pioneer in the field of Sociometry. From 1950 to 1963, she was the president of the Northway Company Limited. Among the many honours bestowed upon Dr. Northway were: Fellow of the Canadian Psychological Association, Honorary Life Member of the Ontario Camping Association, and an Honorary Degree from Trent University in 1979. Throughout her life, Mary was involved in camping and she believed in the value of Canadian summer camping and tripping. She was the program director of Glen Bernard Camp from 1930 to 1939 and, with Flora Morrison, was co-director of a girls' camp called Windy Pine Point, from 1941 to 1950. Dr. Mary L. Northway died in 1987. In her will she left to Trent University its largest private benefaction to be known as the Northway Bequest in memory of her father, Garfield Northway. This bequest provided permanent support towards a number of areas: Trent University Archives, Bata Library and the Canadian Studies Department. (Information taken from a plaque commemorating the dedication of the Northway Reading Room which was written by the Trent University Archivist, Bernadine Dodge.)
This fonds was in the custody of Professor John Wadland before it was donated to Trent University Archives in May 1999.
Scope and content
This fonds consists mostly of correspondence between Mary Northway and Professors John Wadland and Alan Wilson, and relates primarily to the Brora Centre, Neathern Trust, and Windy Pine. Also included is an 8 mm film of Windy Pine, and 2 photographs, one of which is of Mary Northway.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated by Professor John Wadland.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
This fonds, along with 80-022, 86-009, 90-016, and 96-006, is an addition to 70-003.
For related records see: Canadian Camping Association fonds, Society of Camp Directors fonds, and Ontario Camping Association fonds.
The following material was added in 2014:
DVD copy of the 8 mm film reel of Windy Pine (3 minutes; silent; colour). The production features Flora Morrison and her dog Charlie at Driftwood cabin, Windy Pines in the 1970s.