Title and statement of responsibility area
William Hamilton House fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- William Hamilton House
Physical description area
3 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
It is believed that in 1880 John E. Belcher built the house for William Hamilton, the developer of a machine shop which became one of Peterborough's largest and most important industries in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The house is solid brick, cream in colour, and has a two storey projecting bay with portico and entrance. The William Hamilton house is presently owned by the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation for the Diocese of Peterborough. A request for designation in accordance with the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act, 1974, was filed 31 October 1985 by the Peterborough Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee.
The fonds was in the custody of Martha Ann Kidd, chair of the Peterborough Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of one 13-page document concerning the designation of the William Hamilton House at 459 Reid Street in Peterborough, Ontario in accordance with the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act of 1974. The fonds includes correspondence, legal and architectural description of the property and building, historical background, and photocopies of photographs of the house.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated by Martha Ann Kidd in 1986.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
For related records see: 74-1002, and 84-006.