Fonds 94-015 - Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational Institute fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description


    Reference code


    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area


    • 1905-1977, 1991, 2002 (Creation)
      Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational Institute

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    55 cm of textual records (4 boxes)

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    Reverend Samuel Armour opened the Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational Institute on May 1, 1826. The school, originally known as the Peterborough Government School, was first located in the back playground of present day Central Public School on Murray Street in Peterborough. As the population increased, due to immigration, the Common School (public school) students moved into smaller schools while the Grammar School (high school) students stayed in the original school building. By 1854 the school trustees had leased an old church, on the corner of Hunter and Sheridan Streets, to hold the school but the student population soon grew too large. In 1855 plans to build a new school had begun. The new building was completed in 1859 and was intended to be used by both common and grammar school students. It was located where the present day Central School is built. The new school was known as the Union School. By 1868 the principal of the school asked that girls be allowed to attend grammar school. A new building was constructed west of the Union School to allow for the increased student population. In 1871, with a government bill abolishing the term grammar school and replacing it with collegiate, the Union School became the Collegiate Institute. Due to overcrowding and various moves within the buildings it soon came time for the Collegiate to have its own building, separate from the public school. On August 1, 1907 the cornerstone for the new school was laid. The new school opened in 1908 on the corner of Aylmer and McDonnel Streets near the Armouries. In 1927 a vocational school was added to the P.C.I. Students and staff at the school helped in a variety of projects including creation and publication of the student monthly newsletter "The Collegiate Echoes" which began publication in 1905. The Collegiate has played a major role in the shaping of Peterborough through the changes that the community has sustained during the years of settlement, growth, war, poverty, industrialization and computerization. (Taken from: "Echoes Sesquicentennial Edition." 1977.)

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    This fonds consists of 58 volumes of the Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational School yearbook called "The Echoes"; 2 Minute Books for the Girls' Athletic Association from 1908 to 1923; 13 scattered volumes of "Commencement Exercises" between 1937 and 1951; and 1 volume of "Reports of the Business Board of the Collegiate Echoes of the P.C.I." dated 1916-1918. Additional materials were donated by Dr. Fern Rahmel in 2002 on the occasion of the 175th anniversary of P.C.V.S.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    This fonds was in the custody of Lois Davidson of Peterborough, Ontario before it was donated to the Trent University Archives. Materials relating to the 175th anniversary [94-015/003(14)] were donated by Fern Rahmel in 2002. Yearbooks (Echoes) from 1982-1985 were donated by the Peterborough Public Library.


    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access


        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Associated materials

        Associated material located at the Peterborough Museum and Archives.


        Alternative identifier(s)

        Accession number


        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Language of description

          Script of description


            Accession area