Title and statement of responsibility area
Davidson family fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Cartographic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Davidson family
Physical description area
10 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
James Davidson was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1801, the son of Hugh Davidson. In 1823, James Davidson came to Canada with his sister. They settled first with an Uncle in Smith Township. In 1831, James settled on lot 20, concession 5, Smith Township, and established his own 200 acre farm. He married Elizabeth McConnell of Cavan Township the same year. They had four sons and four daughters: Ann, Hugh, William, Mary Jane, Sarah, James Jr., Robert, and Fanny. In 1837, Davidson fought in the Rebellion. Robert eventually went into the hardware business in Peterborough, Hugh and James Jr. went into farming, and William became a grocer and flour merchant. Elizabeth Davidson died in 1864 and James Davidson died sometime after after 1884. (Taken from: "History of the County of Peterborough." Toronto: C. Blackett Robinson, 1884.)
This fonds was in the custody of the descendants of James and Elizabeth Davidson before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of 19 documents including deeds, conveyances, and a map of the mill and water power property of Samuel Dickson and relating to land in the Water/McDonnel/Hunter Streets and river area of Peterborough, Ontario (Upper Canada and Canada West). Also an 1823 grant of Lot 1, Communication Road, Smith Township collected by the Davidson Family.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated by Mr. William A. Davidson via Robert Taylor-Vaisey on February 11, 1977.
The records are arranged according to the lot or parcel of land to which they refer.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
For related records see: 77-019
Part of Brock Street, part of an unnamed street and the road allowance between Hunter and Brock Streets along the River Otonabee:
- By-law No. XXX, Town of Peterborough, passed 17 January 1851 - to stop up certain streets and grant them to George Barker Hall and Walter Sheridan. Copy.
- Deed. Town Council of Peterborough to George Barker Hall. 18 January 1851.
- Deed. James Hall, sheriff, to Samuel Dickson, 17 November 1860 Public Auction.
Government Mill reserve and lots adjacent to Antrim St., Brock St., Hunter St., Waterford St., and Murray St.:
- Indenture of Bargain and Sale of an individual half share of certain lands in the Town of Peterborough. George Baker Hall and wife to Samuel Bickerton Harman and Hon. J. Hillyard Cameron. 14 Jan 1854.
- Conveyance, of an undivided Quarter of certain lands and premises in the Town of Peterborough, George Barker Hall and wife to Samuel Bickerton Harman. 26 March 1856.
Note: Both of the above were exhibits in several legal cases, including Dickson vs. Burnham, May 1867.
Part Lots 8 & 9 part of McDonnel Street, east of Dickson Street:
- Description of William Davidson's lot n.d.
- "An Act Relating to the Town of Peterborough" 1878 (printed)
- Conveyance. Corporation of the Town of Peterborough to William Davidson, merchant. 18 Jan. 1878.
- Conveyance. William Davidson to Elizabeth Davidson. 31 Jan. 1878.
- Deed to Land. Thomas George Hazlitt and Richard Hall, trustees of the estate of Samuel Dickson to Elizabeth Davidson.
Part Lots 8 and 9, south of McDonnel and east of Water. 7 Dec. 1889. Two copies.
- Deed of Land. Thomas G. Hazlitt and Richard Hall, trustees, to Elizabeth Davidson. 30 June 1896.
- Sketch of a piece of land at McDonnel and Dickson, and excerpt from Deed. 30 June 1896 - 24 Aug. 1896.
Lot 1, Communication Road, Smith Township:
- Grant to James Huddlestone. South-east one third of Lot 1, east side of Commutation Road. 28 April 1823.
Clergy Lot 18, Concession 1, Township of Younge, County of Leeds:
- Grant. Clergy Sale to James Brooker, yeoman. 5 May 1840.
Park Lot No. 8 in Lot 13, Concession XIII, Township of Monaghan:
- Conveyance, John Sheerer and others to James Hall. 7 Nov. 1863. Copy.
Map of Mill and Water Power Property belonging to Samuel Dickson, Esq., in the Town of Peterborough, C.W. 1866. - located in Map Cabinet - Drawer 3.
Little Lake Cemetery:
- Deed of Lots 35 and 36, Little Lake Cemetery to James Davidson. 1 Oct. 1884.
Lot No. 20, according to Plan 88 for Peterborough:
- Statutory Declaration by J. W. Bennett, notary public relating to the title of the lot. 1913.