Title and statement of responsibility area
Trent Valley Navigation Company (Limited) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Photocopied [before 1975] (Creation)
- Trent Valley Navigation Company (Limited)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Trent Valley Navigation Company, Bobcaygeon, Ontario, was incorporated in 1883. Mossom Martin (Mossie) Boyd was the president of the company and he and his brother William owned nearly all of the stock. The company consisted of a fleet of a half dozen steamboats which operated along the waterways surrounding Bobcaygeon, carrying passengers and freight from Lindsay to Coboconk, Sturgeon Point, Fenelon Falls and Bobcaygeon. At Lindsay there was a connection with the Grand Trunk Railway. In the most productive years (after the turn of the century) revenue was almost evenly divided between passenger and freight transportation. The Company closed in 1915, precipitated by the death of Mossom Boyd the previous year.
The photocopies were donated by Sheila Boyd via Reverend E.L. Straker to the Trent University Archives. The addition of 1977 was previously in the custody of of Russ Boyle of Peterborough, Ontario before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of photocopies of: a) a minute book including the letters patent incorporating the company (19 October 1883) and minutes of a Director's meeting, 5 February 1900; b) by-laws of the company passed in Lindsay 26 January 1884; c) document headed "by-laws" repealing previous by-laws and a list of shareholders, 31 December 1884; and d) document with signatures of shareholders, 8 October 1883, minutes of a meeting 19 January 1884, and advertisements. The addition on 1 April 1977 consists of a photocopy of a brochure titled "Kawartha Lakes: The Bright Waters and Happy Land" with timetables for 1907. The fonds also includes some records pertaining to the Trent Valley Navigation Company.
Immediate source of acquisition
The photocopies were donated by Reverend E.L. Straker, Christ Church, Bobcaygeon, Ontario and Russ Boyle of Peterborough, Ontario.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The originals are located in the Boyd Papers at Library and Archives Canada (MG28).
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated material located at Library and Archives Canada.
For related records see: 72-1003, 73-1001, 75-1024 and 88-011.