Fonds 75-1009 - Seymour Township fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Seymour Township fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

75-1009

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 3 Jan. 1852 (Creation)
    Creator
    Seymour Township

Physical description area

Physical description

1 item

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Seymour Township, located in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham (east portion of Northumberland), is bounded on the north by Belmont Township, Peterborough County, on the south by Brighton and Murray Townships, on the east by Rawdon Township, Hastings County, and on the west by Percy and Asphodel Townships, Peterborough County. Seymour Township was partially surveyed in 1819 by Brown, and the survey was completed in 1833, by Major Campbell. The township is traversed by two rivers, the Trent and the Crow, both of which provided excellent sources of water power throughout the township. The population of Seymour was 2,117 in 1850, and had more than doubled by 1871 to 4,289. Native Indians accounted for approximately two thirds of the population, while settlers of English, Irish and Scottish origin comprised the remaining portion. Most of the very early settlers in the region were half-pay military and naval officers. Major Campbell, is the man for whom the town of Campbellford is named. Campbellford was incorporated in 1876. Due to the water power created by the Trent River, the town of Campbellford quickly became a manufacturing centre with several grist mills, saw mills and woolen mills. The land of Seymour Township was extremely fertile, and lent itself well to farming and agricultural enterprise of the early settlers. Today, Seymour Township still remains largely an agricultural region in Northumberland County.

Custodial history

This fonds was in the custody of Ed Phelps before it was donated to the Trent University Archives

Scope and content

This fonds consists of a letter by Henry Rowed, census enumerator, to Thomas Ayre, census commissioner for United Counties of Northumberland and Durham, relating to physical characteristics and economic outlook of Seymour Township. There is reference made on the effect of repeal of British corn laws upon winter wheat culture in the township.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The fonds was donated by Ed Phelps of London, Ontario.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

For related records see: 83-016 and 84-004 (UCND vital statistics).

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres