Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Seymour Township, located in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham (east portion of Northumberland), is bounded on the north by Belmont Township, Peterborough County, on the south by Brighton and Murray Townships, on the east by Rawdon Township, Hastings County, and on the west by Percy and Asphodel Townships, Peterborough County. Seymour Township was partially surveyed in 1819 by Brown, and the survey was completed in 1833, by Major Campbell. The township is traversed by two rivers, the Trent and the Crow, both of which provided excellent sources of water power throughout the township. The population of Seymour was 2,117 in 1850, and had more than doubled by 1871 to 4,289. Native Indians accounted for approximately two thirds of the population, while settlers of English, Irish and Scottish origin comprised the remaining portion. Most of the very early settlers in the region were half-pay military and naval officers. Major Campbell, is the man for whom the town of Campbellford is named. Campbellford was incorporated in 1876. Due to the water power created by the Trent River, the town of Campbellford quickly became a manufacturing centre with several grist mills, saw mills and woolen mills. The land of Seymour Township was extremely fertile, and lent itself well to farming and agricultural enterprise of the early settlers. Today, Seymour Township still remains largely an agricultural region in Northumberland County.