Title and statement of responsibility area
Crawford’s Grove Chapter I.O.D.E. fonds.
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Crawford’s Grove Chapter I.O.D.E.
Physical description area
30 cm of textual material.
ca. 100 photographs.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Crawford’s Grove Chapter of the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire in Peterborough, Ontario, began on 9 December 1957. Mrs L.V. Hearn gathered a group of women in her home to discuss the idea of beginning the IODE Chapter. The IODE Chapter was officially sworn in on 26 February 1958 in the Green Room of the local YWCA. The members of the IODE dedicated their time to supporting education within the community and abroad, providing food and goods to charity events, and assisting in fundraisers throughout the city. The information regarding the first 25 years of service of the IODE was provided by a document in the record written by Archivist, Jane Porter.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of correspondence, photographs, meeting minutes, certificates, membership lists, and committee by-laws pertaining to the Crawford’s Grove Chapter of the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire in Peterborough, Ontario.
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds arranged as received except a few files that were loose in the box upon arrival.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
- Member lists, letters of resignation, 1958-1998
- Correspondence between chapters, advertising, newspaper clippings
- Reports of newly elected members and secretaries reports of meetings
- Letters and correspondence between IODE members and students and teachers of the Dalton public school in Seabright, Ontario. The IODE members initiated a pen pal program with the public school in 1961 until the closing of the school five years later in 1966; also includes letter of recognition and small photo album of the IODE adopting a school in Labrador, 6 October 1981, 1961-1981
- Correspondence for donations and volunteer work conducted by the IODE members, financial reports from 1959 and 1980, newspaper clippings, 1958-1998
- Reports of by-laws and documents noting the historical significance of the IODE; paper on the 25th anniversary of the Crawford’s Grove Chapter IODE 1958-1983 by IODE Archivist, Jane Porter; Certificate of appreciation from the Secretary of State of Canada for their volunteer contributions 24 June 1986, 1958-1986
- Two tickets for the Crawford’s Grove IODE Card Party – Wednesday 1 November 1967 at 8pm at the YWCA, admission was $1.00
- In Memoriam sign with the following names: Vickey Gray 1966, Winnie Walker 1966, Helen Laing 1973, Jennie Cuffe 1974, Ruby Skinner 1975, Gertrude Pickell 1979, Jane Langhornel 1980, Dorothy Kiff 1980
- Scrapbook of IODE – includes: agenda book 1980, newspaper clippings and notes regarding community involvement, membership form belonging to Pearl Eva Reynolds 1971, 1971-1982
- Roll Call Book, 1958-1980
- Scrapbook of newspaper articles related to IODE 1958-1989
- Annual Reports dating 1983-1997 (missing 1994)
- IODE Social Book by Miss Margaret Lancaster, Social Editor, 9 March 1966 – 6 April 1970
- Meeting Minutes book – 12 February 1964 – 6 April 1970
- Meeting Minutes book – 4 May 1970 – 2 February 1976
- Meeting Minutes book – 2 March 1976 – 4 May 1981
- Meeting Minutes book – 1 June 1981 – 6 April 1987
- Meeting Minutes book – 5 May 1987 – 4 October 1993
- Notebook of prayers for those in the community who were ill – 1980-1993
- Constitution and By-laws handbooks – 3 copies – revised June 1955, revised June 1962, revised June 1969
- Series of photographs in envelope presumably of members of the IODE, n.d.