Item 04-1015 - Otonabee Township land document

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Otonabee Township land document

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on a description of the item.

Level of description

Item

Reference code

04-1015

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [18-] (Creation)
    Creator
    Otonabee Township

Physical description area

Physical description

1 folder

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Otonabee Township, Peterborough County, is bounded on the north by Douro Township, on the south by Rice Lake and the Otonabee River, on the west by the Otonabee River, and on the east by Asphodel Township. Otonabee township was first surveyed in 1819 and, in the same year, was settled on by George Kent. Captain Charles Rubidge also visited the township in 1819 and he returned with his family for permanent settlement in May 1820. Numerous other settlers also came to Otonabee in 1820 (approximately 23 men, some with families, some single). By 1825, 51 emigrant families, mainly from the south of Ireland, were added to the residents of Otonabee Township. These emigrants were some of the many emigrants led to Upper Canada by the Honourable Peter Robinson under the auspices of the British Government. In 1825, Dr. Gilchrist opened a grist mill and during the winter of 1829/1830, a general store was opened, both in the town of Keene. After the opening of the mill, there was an influx of settlers into the Otonabee region. By the 1861 census, the total population of Otonabee township was 4221, made up of the following nationalities: Irish (759), English (289), Scottish (412), American (37), Upper Canada (2684), Lower Canada (30), and other countries (10).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Item is an undated land document and attached hand-drawn plan for Lot 26, Concession 12 in Otonabee Township. The reverse side of the plan has the inscription, "Campbell to Fraser."

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This document was received from an unknown source.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

For related records see: 70-002.

Related materials

Accruals

General note

This document may have been associated with the Hall, Gillespie Law Firm.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres