Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Otonabee Township, Peterborough County, is bounded on the north by Douro Township, on the south by Rice Lake and the Otonabee River, on the west by the Otonabee River, and on the east by Asphodel Township. Otonabee township was first surveyed in 1819 and, in the same year, was settled on by George Kent. Captain Charles Rubidge also visited the township in 1819 and he returned with his family for permanent settlement in May 1820. Numerous other settlers also came to Otonabee in 1820 (approximately 23 men, some with families, some single). By 1825, 51 emigrant families, mainly from the south of Ireland, were added to the residents of Otonabee Township. These emigrants were some of the many emigrants led to Upper Canada by the Honourable Peter Robinson under the auspices of the British Government. In 1825, Dr. Gilchrist opened a grist mill and during the winter of 1829/1830, a general store was opened, both in the town of Keene. After the opening of the mill, there was an influx of settlers into the Otonabee region. By the 1861 census, the total population of Otonabee township was 4221, made up of the following nationalities: Irish (759), English (289), Scottish (412), American (37), Upper Canada (2684), Lower Canada (30), and other countries (10).