Title and statement of responsibility area
Haldimand Township property documents collection
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Haldimand Township
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Township of Haldimand is bounded on the north by the Township of Alnwick, on the east by the Township of Cramahe, on the west by the Township of Hamilton and on the south by Lake Ontario. Haldimand Township was partially surveyed in 1797 and again in 1822. By 1817 it had 6258 acres under cultivation. There were three grist mills and four saw mills. By 1850 the population of the Township was 4177 and by 1861 it was 6164. The villages are Grafton, Eddystone, Centreton, Vernonville, Fenella, Bowmanton, Burnley, Colbourne and Wicklow. The population consisted mostly of settlers from Ireland, Scotland, England and some from the United States. One of the first settlers in the area was Benjamin Ewing, in 1798, from Vermont. The harbour for the Township was located at Grafton and built around 1836. (Taken from: The H.H. Beldon Illustrated Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, 1878. Belleville: Mika Silk Screening Limited, 1972.)
This collection was in the custody of Marion Grant before it was donated to Trent University Archives in 1983.
Scope and content
Collection consists of Haldimand Township property documents dated 1863-1891. Subjects include Jay Ketchum, William Matthews, James Thomas Johnson, Archibald Campbell, Donald C. Matthews, William H. Johnson, Joseph Keeler, William Maxwell, David [P--], and Thomas Kelso. Also included are estate documents relating to Mary Jane Cowie, 1932, and miscellaneous receipts.
Immediate source of acquisition
Collection acquired in 1983 from Marion Grant.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
For related records see: 77-030, 77-033, 84-020, and 84-021.