Haldimand Township

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Haldimand Township

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Township of Haldimand is bounded on the north by the Township of Alnwick, on the east by the Township of Cramahe, on the west by the Township of Hamilton and on the south by Lake Ontario. Haldimand Township was partially surveyed in 1797 and again in 1822. By 1817 it had 6258 acres under cultivation. There were three grist mills and four saw mills. By 1850 the population of the Township was 4177 and by 1861 it was 6164. The villages are Grafton, Eddystone, Centreton, Vernonville, Fenella, Bowmanton, Burnley, Colbourne and Wicklow. The population consisted mostly of settlers from Ireland, Scotland, England and some from the United States. One of the first settlers in the area was Benjamin Ewing, in 1798, from Vermont. The harbour for the Township was located at Grafton and built around 1836. (Taken from: The H.H. Beldon Illustrated Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, 1878. Belleville: Mika Silk Screening Limited, 1972.)

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places