Fonds 01-006 - Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society fonds. Additions

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society fonds. Additions

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the organization which created the fonds.

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1898-1980 (Creation)
    Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society

Physical description area

Physical description

14 cm of textual material
7 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society was established November 24, 1978. The reason for forming the Historical Society was to try and save the old mill for which Millbrook was named after. The society helped mark the 100th birthday of Millbrook village with a historical display at the Masonic Lodge. They produced a four-page tabloid entitled "Millbrook Messenger" after an early newspaper. The tabloid contained articles of historical interest with photographs of the railway station, the Deyell monument, the fire of 1960 and three of the several mills in the Village. The Society helped organize Historical House tours in the township. In 1985 the Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society received a Heritage Award. In 1990 the Society produced and published "This Green and Pleasant Land: Chronicles of Cavan Township". Not only does the Historical Society provide a source of fundraising for historical projects it also acquires, preserves and makes available for research historical items and artifacts from quilts to furniture and from wills, deeds, debentures to marriage and birth certificates, photographs, diaries and other records. (Taken from: This Green and Pleasant Land: Chronicles of Cavan Township. The Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society, 1990.)

Custodial history

This fonds was in the custody of Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society before it was donated to Trent University Archives via Quentin Brown.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records relating to the Millbrook, Ontario and Cavan, Ontario area. Included are photographs, photocopies of newspaper clippings and articles, and scrapbooks. Several items pertain to St. Andrews United Church, Millbrook.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated by Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society via Quentin Brown.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

For related records see: 74-021

Related materials


This fonds is an addition to 95-002.

General note

Large materials located in Large Materials Cabinet - Drawer 39.

General note

Box 1


  1. Material relating to St. Andrews United Church, Millbrook, Ontario, including photocopies of newspaper clippings, church programs, 75th anniversary program, family list 1980, two photographs (one of back section of church, and one of Samuel Might memorial)

  2. Three photographs:

  • 6 employees of Fowler's Men's Store and Pendrie's Dry Goods Store, n.d.

  • Percy I. Bentley (P.I.), Clerk-Treasurer of Cavan Township, n.d.

  • Matchett School, Cavan (several children and staff, all identified; includes several with family name "Gillis") 15 June 1898

  1. Articles relating to Bailieborough (photocopies)

  2. Article relating to Mount Pleasant (typescript by E. Visee)
    (Note: this folder received from Mr. Quentin Brown and added in 2004)

Loose in box

Two scrapbooks of newspaper clippings relating to Cavan and area news, and world newsLarge Materials Cabinet - Drawer 39

Photograph: Millbrook Band, July 12, 1910

Photograph: Millbrook Presbyterian Church baseball team, "1908-1911", players identified

Laminated newspaper clippings relating to the book, "This Green and Pleasant Land" (2 sheets)

Plan of the village of Millbrook / G.A. Campbell, n.d. (photocopy)

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area