Title and statement of responsibility area
Millbrook and Cavan Township fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
ca. 1920-ca. 1940 (Creation)
- Millbrook and Cavan Township
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Township of Cavan, located in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham (previously Durham County), was first surveyed in 1817 by Samuel G. Wilmot (who also surveyed North Monaghan and Smith Townships). The land which was to become Cavan Township was virgin forest, untouched by Europeans, and no longer considered Indigenous territory. Wilmot was assisted by John Deyell, who, with James Deyell were two of the first settlers in Cavan Township. They established a mill on a brook in 1824, and as a result, were the founders of the village of Millbrook. John Deyell was also responsible for the name of the township, Cavan County, being a neighbour of Monaghan County, the County in Ireland from whence he came. Cavan Township was settled quite quickly. The same year it was surveyed, 115 lots were ticketed. By the next year, 1818, a further 160 lots were ticketed. The total population of the township in 1819 was 244. Many of the pioneer settlers of the new township were either military men who were given land grants for their services in the War of 1812, or Irish emigrants, many who were from County Cavan in Ireland. In 1825, the population reached 936; ten years later, in 1835, the population had more than doubled to 2,575. Cavan continued grow, and its population peaked in 1861, at 4,901.
This fonds was compiled and in the custody of F.L. Clarry, K.C., of Lindsay, Ontario until it was donated to the Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
This fonds is a small collection of historical information on the people, places, mills, organizations in Cavan Township and the Village of Millbrook. Included are reminiscences from pioneer descendants, essays on the Cavan Blazers (an Orange vigilante group), early mills, prominent pioneer citizens and local legends.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated by Mr. F.L. Weldon.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated material located in the Peterborough Centennial Museum.
For related records see: 71-006.