Title and statement of responsibility area
Canadian Federation University Women's Club of Peterborough fonds. Additions.
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Canadian Federation University Women's Club of Peterborough
Physical description area
7 cm of textual materials.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The University Women's Club of Peterborough adopted a new name on 26 February 1991 and became the Canadian Federation of University Women Peterborough Club. At that time they adopted a new constitution. The University Women's Club of Peterborough was founded in March 1937 as a member club of the Canadian Federation of University Women. The International Federation of University Women was founded in Europe in the Spring of 1919. On their return to Canada, delegates to that meeting from University Women's Clubs in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Winnipeg and other Canadian cities met again in August 1919 to create the Canadian Federation of University Women, with Mrs. Margaret Stovel McWilliams of the Winnipeg Club as President. The Canadian organization's aims were to promote the highest standards of education at all levels, to encourage participation in public affairs in the political, economical and cultural fields, and to safeguard and improve the economic, legal and professional status of women in Canada and the World. The International Federation of University Women aims to promote understanding among women of different cultures. There are Member Federations of the IFUW throughout the world and member Clubs of CFUW in all parts of Canada.
This fonds was in the custody of Kathleen Bowley before it was donated to Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of documents and correspondence regarding the 60th anniversary of the Peterborough Club. Also included are newsletters, minutes of CFUW's general meetings, and documents relating to founding president Margaret Stovel McWilliams.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated by Kathleen Bowley.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
For associated material see the "Canadian Women's Movement 1960-1990: A Guide to Archival Resources" located in Trent University Archives Reading Room.
This fonds along with 89-003, 89-010, 90-010, 95-012, and 97-005 is an addition to 88-008. Further accruals are expected.
The Canadian Federation of University Women Peterborough Club was formerly known as the University Women's Club of Peterborough.
1: Photograph and newspaper clips relating to founding President of CFUW Margaret Stovel McWilliams
2: Miscellaneous documents and correspondence re: 60th Anniversary of Peterborough Club including programmes, letters and cards of congratulations
3: Correspondence with charter members re 60th anniversary dinner; list of guests; speeches presented at the dinner and newspaper clippings
4: Miscellaneous documents and correspondence re: Picture Loan Society in Art Gallery of Peterborough
5: Miscellaneous newsletters: CFUW Peterborough Club news bulletins #5 and #6, Feb.-March 1997; International Federation of University Women news bulletin #1, March 1997; VG Update, Jan 1997; The Communicator, Sept - Dec 1996 and Feb - April 1997; Order form for "Seventy Five Years of CFUW"
Loose in the box: Guest book for 60th Anniversary dinner;
CFUW: annual General Meeting Minutes, 1993, 1995 & 1996
Binder with Banquet Committee Minutes and Reports, Nov 21, 1994 - May 1, 1997
Additional materials were donated by Mrs. Kathleen Bowley in July, 2003. Includes new members directory.
Additional materials were donated by Mrs. Kathleen Bowley in June, 2004.