Title and statement of responsibility area
Peterborough Humane Society fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Peterborough Humane Society
Physical description area
13 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Peterborough Humane Society opened its doors to stray, sick and abused animals around the 1940's. The objectives of the Society were to prevent cruelty to animals and birds; to provide shelter and food for animals and birds which were lost, injured or abandoned; to provide unclaimed animals and birds with homes; to investigate complaints of cruelty to animals and birds; and to create public interest in humane work. The Society had a president, secretary, officers, a board of directors and a council as well as a women's auxiliary and affiliation with other societies such as the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Canadian Federation of Humane Societies. The Humane Society formerly operated from a building on Townsend Street in Peterborough. In 1957, the shelter on Lansdowne Street was built.
This fonds was created by the Peterborough Humane Society and in the custody of Douglas Vaisey, a member of the Society, before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of correspondence, minutes, procedures and financial statements regarding the Peterborough Humane Society. There is also information regarding the relationship between the Society and the City and County of Peterborough and the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Also included in the fonds are plans for the shelter on Lansdowne Street.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated by Douglas Vaisey.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated material located at the Peterborough Museum and Archives, the Library and Archives Canada and the Archives of Ontario.
1: Minutes of meetings, 1955-1964
2: Procedures manual, 1963
3: Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals: correspondence
4: Correspondence, 1958-1963
5: City and County of Peterborough: jurisdictional matters, correspondence, minutes of meetings between city and society
6: Financial Statements, 1958-1962
7: Annual report for 1960, by-laws, blueprints for shelter