Fonds 91-1013 - Cobourg Harbour fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cobourg Harbour fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

91-1013

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 prints : lithograph, col. ; 16.5 X 20 cm (sight) in mats 28.5 X 35.5 cm.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Cobourg Harbour originally was a wharf. The large steamers bringing in emigrants had to stand off shore and freight and passengers were transported by smaller boats to shore. In 1830 the Cobourg Harbour Company was formed and a proper Harbour was built. The harbour was one of the finest on the Lake Ontario shoreline. Due to the good harbour Cobourg experienced large amounts of traffic in freight and newcomers to Canada and due to this increased in size. By the 1850's Cobourg was the 5th largest centre in Canada West and it had the most important central Lake Ontario port. Cobourg had a ferry that operated between it and Rochester in New York. It was a point for shipping lumber and agricultural products all over the lake. (Taken from: "Cobourg Early Days and Modern Times." Cobourg: Cobourg Book Committee, 1981.)

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds consists of two colour prints of Cobourg. One is of the lighthouse, entitled "Light Tower, near Coburg", by W.H. Bartlett and C. Cousen and the other is of Cobourg Harbour, entitled "Coburg", by W.H. Bartlett and R. Wallis.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated from an unknown source.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Located in Large Materials Cabinet - Drawer 32.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres