Title and statement of responsibility area
Aikenhead Hardware Company fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on company which created the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Aikenhead Hardware Company
Physical description area
13 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1830 a new hardware store, also known as an ironmongery, was opened on the north-east corner of King and Yonge Streets in York (now Toronto), known as Ridout's Hardware Store. In 1845 a Board of Trade was organized and George P. Ridout was named its first president.
In 1845, James Aikenhead joined the firm of Ridout Bros. & Co. In 1868 James Aikenhead became a member of the firm which at this point was renamed to Ridout, Aikenhead and Crombie. On September 1, 1873 James' son Thomas E. Aikenhead started to serve a five year apprenticeship with Mrs. Ridout, Aikenhead and Crombie. In 1891 Ridout, Aikenhead and Crombie sold their lease on the corner of King and Yonge Streets and moved to Adelaide Street East. In 1893 Thomas E. Aikenhead purchased the business and it became known as Aikenhead Hardware Co.
In 1901, the business was reorganized as a limited stock company known as Aikenhead Hardware Limited. By 1930 Aikenhead Hardware Limited was situated on Temperance Street and had been there since 1905. By this point in time the business had six floors of merchandise and a warehouse for stock. It sold everything from tacks to tractors to cutlery and locks. In 1937 the company started to open branch stores in different communities in the Toronto area. They later expanded to the greater Toronto area and outside of it to such communities as Burlington, St. Catharines, Kitchener, Dundas, Markham and Sudbury. James T.E. Aikenhead, son of Thomas E. Aikenhead, joined the company in 1911 and took over from his father in 1944 as president. He died suddenly in 1948 and his brother J. Wilfred Aikenhead took over the presidency which he was still holding in 1969. In 1965 Aikenheads's purchased the hardware chain of Russell Hardware Company Limited and continued to expand.
By 1996, Aikenhead Hardware Limited was known as Aikenheads Improvement Warehouse Inc. with its corporate office located on Ellesmere in Toronto and stores located in Scarborough, Markham, Woodbridge, Brampton and Oakville.
This fonds was created by Aikenhead Hardware Limited and donated via Professor Alan Wilson to the Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of a retail day book of the Aikenhead Hardware Company for July 10, 1835 to September 5, 1839, with the currency being recorded in pounds, shillings and pence. The fonds also contains wholesale price lists of the Aikenhead Company from 1895 to 1899; a commemorative booklet of the company for its 100th year and a nine-page history of the company. The Aikenhead Hardware Company was established in Toronto in 1830 and played a very significant role, in providing to early settlers, tools and equipment to build their homes and businesses.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated by Aikenhead Hardware Limited via Professor Alan Wilson.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access