Title and statement of responsibility area
A. Jeffrey & Son fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on creator of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- A. Jeffrey & Son
Physical description area
13 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Andrew Jeffrey was a long term resident of Cobourg, Canada West. He is mentioned in the book "Cobourg Early Days and Modern Times" as being nominated as an elder of the Presbyterian Church in 1827. He was elected to the Board of Police in 1837 after the town became incorporated. In the same year, as a member of the Board of Trade, he and other merchants decided to close their businesses at 7 pm from December 22, 1837 to April, 1838 in order to have the benefits that businessmen in Toronto and Montreal enjoyed. He was a councillor in 1851 and Mayor in 1852. He kept a private school at the corner of King and D'Arcy Streets. Throughout this time he ran a Foundry and later a Hardware Store. Cobourg has named a street after A. Jeffrey. In 1853 A. Jeffrey had his son-in-law, Robert Kingan, open a branch store in Peterborough (Taken from: Kidd, Martha Ann. Peterborough's Architectural Heritage, p 26.) (Please see other Peterborough histories in order to find more information on the Kingan branch of the Jeffrey family.)
Scope and content
This fonds consists of one ledger and one letter book of A. Jeffrey & Son of Cobourg, Canada West and Ontario. These are excellent records of who supplied goods to merchants in Canada West and how they were shipped.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated by an unknown source.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
For related records see: 01-1022.
Loose on shelf
Ledger: Ledger dates from 1851 to 1869. Page 3 concerns accounts of foundry repairs totalling 461.3.3. Page 8 lists account of A. Moscrip of Cobourg (see 88-014). Articles sold were various items of hardware: white lead, putty, varnish, glass, nails, rope, scythe and so forth. Customers listed include Thomas Short, Keene, Trustees of the Grammar School, Ontario Distillery, Foulds Brothers. Cover is labelled: 1868 A. Jeffrey & Son, Cobourg, Ontario.
Letter Book: This letter book is a record of orders placed by A. Jeffrey & Son, Cobourg
Entries such as the following appear on page 1: Order for Sundries to be furnished by Messrs. Henry Rogers Sons & Coy, Wolverhamton, England, on account of A. Jeffrey & Son Cobourg C.W. to be shipped by first steamer from Liverpool to Montreal fully insured this to Cobourg and marked: B AJ & SC
The order which follows is 3 pages long and includes such items as 6 dozen padlocks, 3 gross pen holders, 1 dozen japanned coal scoops, 48 Fosters plow moulds. Order is dated Cobourg, 7th June 1862, A. Jeffrey & Son.
A. Jeffrey regularly ordered Phoenix bar iron (round, square, flat and half-round) from Coatbridge, Scotland. - glass products such as lamps and lamp chimneys were ordered from the New England Glass Company in Boston to be shipped by Grand Trunk Railway via Portland. Locks, keys, door knobs, escutcheons etc. were ordered from New York and shipped by canal to Oswego and thence by lake to Cobourg.