Fonds 80-020 - St. John's Anglican Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. John's Anglican Church fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the organization which created the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

80-020

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • Microfilmed [between 1977 and 1980] (Creation)
    Creator
    St. John's Anglican Church

Physical description area

Physical description

2 microfilm reels

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1827 the first Anglican church service was held in Peterborough by Reverend Samuel Armour. It took place in a log Schoolhouse located where Central Public School now stands. In 1835, the first Protestant Church in Peterborough began construction with the assistance of a Crown grant. In 1853, buttresses and pillars were added to the exterior and in 1876 a parish hall was added. In 1911, the congregation presented the church with a set of bells for the bell tower. In 1957 the building was remodeled and renovated, and a new chapel was added. (Taken from: "Peterborough :Land of Shining Water." Peterborough: Published by the City and County of Peterborough, 1967.)

Custodial history

The records were created by and the originals are in the custody of St. John's Anglican Church. The microfilm was donated to the Trent University Archives by Professor Elwood Jones.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of microfilmed copies of parish registers, registers of service, financial records and early records of St. John's Anglican Church from 1825 to 1935.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The microfilm was donated by Professor Elwood Jones, Department of History, Trent University

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

The original items remain at St. John's Anglican Church

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Permission of the University Archivist

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Microfilm. Set 35 - Located in the office of the University Archivist

General note

Reel No. 1:

Series A. Parish Registers
Series B. Registers of Service
Series C. Financial Records, 1 and 3

Reel No. 2:

Series C. Financial Records, 3 to 7
Series D. Early Papers

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres