Fonds 77-1010 - Gaol and court house building committee minutes fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Gaol and court house building committee minutes fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

77-1010

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • Photocopied [ca. 1977] (Creation)
    Creator
    Gaol and court house

Physical description area

Physical description

1 item (22 p.)

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The goal and court house building committee of Amherst, Hamilton Township, Newcastle District, was established on April 10, 1828. Its purpose was to make arrangements for procuring material and the construction of a new gaol and court house. Members of the committee included Walter Boswell, Zaccheus Burnham, Robert Henry, David Smart, James G. Bethune, Thomas Ward, and Elias Jones. The chosen site for the gaol and court house was Amherst, located near Cobourg, also in Hamilton Township. The end result was a large stone building which cost approximately 6000 pounds. In 1837, Cobourg became a police village, and the village of Amherst was amalgamated and became part of Cobourg. (Taken from: Spilsbury, John R. "Cobourg: early days and modern times." Cobourg: The Cobourg Book Company, 1981.)

Custodial history

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Some of the pages are difficult to read due to the poor quality of the photocopying.

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated from an unknown source.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

The original quarter sessions are located at the Archives of Ontario (R.G. 22-7).

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

The copies may not be reproduced for any other purpose other than personal research without the consent of the Archives of Ontario.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Biography / History

The goal and courthouse building committee was established April 10, 1828. Its purpose was to make arrangements for procuring material and the construction of new gaol and courthouse. Members of the committee included Walter Boswell, Zaccheus Burnham, Robert Henry, David Smart, James G. Bethune, Thomas Ward, and Elias Jones. The chosen site for the gaol and courthouse was Amherst, located near Cobourg, also in Hamilton Township. The end result was a large stone building which cost approximately 6000 pounds. In 1837, Cobourg became a police village, and the village of Amherst was amalgamated and became part of Cobourg. (Taken from: Spilsbury, John R. "Cobourg: early days and modern times." Cobourg: The Cobourg Book Company, 1981.)

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres