Title and statement of responsibility area
Port Hope letters, papers and documents fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Port Hope, Ontario
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Port Hope, located in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham, on the shore of Lake Ontario in Hope Township, was informally established in 1819. Previously Port Hope had been known by the name of Smith's Creek, and between 1815 and 1817, the town was also called Toronto. Due to the confusion caused by the use of both names, the name Port Hope, put forth by G.S. Bolton, was settled on in a public meeting in 1819. The name Port Hope was formally confirmed by the Legislature of Upper Canada on March 6, 1834. (taken from "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, Ontario." Belleville: Mika Silk Screening Ltd., 1972.)
This fonds was in the custody of B.K. Van Buren before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of a collection of postcards, letters and photographs relating to people and events in Port Hope and vicinity (up to and including Bewdley and Bailieboro); including correspondence to Henry White.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated by B.K. Van Buren of Port Hope, Ontario
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
For related records see: 75-006 and 75-1032
Programme - Port Hope Music Club
Programme - Port Hope Music Study Club -Recital
Programme - The Arts Club - Recital
Programme - Port Hope High School
Programme - St. John's Church Port Hope - Masonic Church Service
Quarterly tickets (6) - Methodist Church
Communion Card - Baltimore Presbyterian Church
8 Correspondences (4) - 1850, 1884, 1888, 1891
The Hamilton Township Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company - Annual Report
Certification form for the Six Clevis Harrow
Miscellaneous envelopes (4)
1) Along the Lake Shore, Bewdley, Rice Lake, Ont
2) Along the Lake Shore, Bewdley, Rice Lake, Ont
3) Drive Along The Lake Shore, Bewdley, Rice Lake, Ont
4) Lake Shore, Bewdley, Ont.
5) Bewdley on Rice Lake, Ont.
6) Arial View, Bewdley, Ontario, Canada
7) Port Hope Harbour
8) Port Hope Harbour, Canada
9) Waterfront Port Hope, Ont. Taken from an aeroplane
10) Postcard picture - black and white, light house
11) St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, Port Hope, Ont.Canada
12) Meth. Church, Bailieboro. Ont.
13) BaptistChurch, Bailieboro. 117.
14) i) Eng.Church, Bailieboro, Ont.; ii) Negatives - BaptistChurch, Bailieboro. Ont -Eng.Church, Bailieboro, Ont.
15) School, Bailieboro, Ont.
16) Public School. Port HopeCanada
17) Public School. Port Hope, Ont.Canada
18) High School. Port HopeCanada
19) TrinityCollageSchool, Port Hope, Ont.Canada
20) Port Hope.Ont., taken from an aeroplane.
21) Arial View of Port Hope -Ontario - Canada
22) Town Hall, Port Hope
23) Town Hall, Port Hope. Canada
24) postcard picture - black and white, an old building, five people
25) Bewdley, Rice Lake, Ont.
26) Bewdley on Rice Lake, Ont.
27) Bewdley P.O., Rice Lake, Ont.
28) Bailieboro, Ont
29) main St. South. Bailieboro, Ont.
30) Port Hope Golf club
31) Bailieboro, Ont (Store and Post Office)
32) postcard picture - black and white, inside of a store, two people, 1909
33) Port Hope Ideal Concert Band, 1907
34) postcard picture - black and white, group photo, possibly factory workers, all male
35) postcard picture - black and white, group photo, upon a stage, possibly play or concert performers, men, women and children
36) 35 Miscellaneous Canada Post Cards
1) black and white, horse and carriage (Union ExpressCompany), possibly in front of a train station
2) black and white, construction of a railway bridge
3) black and white, train wreckage
4) Break-Water - Port Hope (Light house)