Fonds 74-014 - St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church of Moose Factory, Ontario fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church of Moose Factory, Ontario fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the organization which created the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

74-014

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • Microfilmed 16 June 1969 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church of Moose Factory, Ontario

Physical description area

Physical description

1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Church Missionary Society of the Church of England placed Reverend John Horden, the first Anglican priest in the region, at Moose Factory, formerly of the Diocese of Prince Rupert, on August 26, 1851. Over twenty years later, on December 15, 1872, he was consecrated the first Bishop of Moosonee. At this time Moose Factory became the episcopal seat of an immense diocese which covered a band of territory, two to three hundred miles wide, surrounding the the eastern, southern and western shores of Hudson Bay. St. Thomas Church was already in existence when Rev. Horden arrived in Moose Factory. The original church was built by Reverend George Barnley, of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, and it was replaced by a larger building in 1860, which was built by workmen of the Hudson's Bay Company. St. Thomas Anglican Church was the Pro-Cathedral of the Diocese of Moosonee from 1872 to 1903.

Custodial history

The fonds are in the custody of the Archdeacon of St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church, Moose Factory, Ontario. They were microfilmed by the Archives of Ontario and the fonds was purchased by the Trent University Archives.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of microfilmed copies of 3 volumes, which include 2 registers of baptisms (1852-1893), and one register of burials (1851-1906).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The microfilm was purchased from the Archives of Ontario

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

The originals are located at St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church, Moose Factory, Ontario

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Associated material located in the Library and Archives Canada and the Archives of Ontario
For related records see: 74-015 and 74-016

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Microfilm. Set 9.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres