Title and statement of responsibility area
North Monaghan Township by-law.
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
7 May 1864 (Creation)
- North Monaghan Township
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
North Monaghan is the smallest township in the County of Peterborough. It is bounded on the north by the township of Smith, on the south by the County of Northumberland, on the west by Cavan township (County of Durham), and on the east by the Otonabee River. The Township was first surveyed by Samuel Wilmot in 1817 and settlement began the same year. In 1818, Wilmot wrote to the surveyor general, suggesting that lots 14, 15, and 16 on concession 13 be reserved as a site for a village. This site became the village of Peterborough and remained as such until January 1, 1850, when it was officially severed from North Monaghan and incorporated as the Town of Peterborough. As a result, North Monaghan lost 350 families (2,100 persons), and numerous businesses, industries, shops and services. In the 1852 census return, the number of householders left in North Monaghan totalled 100. The only village which remained in the township was Springville which is situated on the boundary of North Monaghan and Cavan townships. Due to North Monaghan's close proximity with the town of Peterborough and Cavan township, there was never a need to re-build the resources which were lost to Peterborugh in 1850, and today, North Monaghan township is very much a "suburb" of the City of Peterborough.
Scope and content
This item is a broadside which reads "A By-Law to amend By-Law No. 54, ...... for the purpose of restraining the running at large of Animals in the Township of North Monaghan, providing for the impounding of the same and settling the height and description of Fences in said Township." The broadside was printed by Alexander Graham of Peterborough.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated by an unknown source.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated materials of North Monaghan Township may be found in the County of Peterborough Clerk-Administrator's Office, and at the Peterborough Museum and Archives.
For related records see: 70-002 and 72-1001.