Title and statement of responsibility area
Otonabee Township fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Cartographic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the corporate structure which created the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1820-1872 ; predominant 1850 (Creation)
- Otonabee Township
Physical description area
6.5 cm textual records (1 box)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Otonabee Township, Peterborough County, is bounded on the north by Douro Township, on the south by Rice Lake and the Otonabee River, on the west by the Otonabee River, and on the east by Asphodel Township. Otonabee township was first surveyed in 1819 and, in the same year, was settled on by George Kent. Captain Charles Rubidge also visited the township in 1819 and he returned with his family for permanent settlement in May 1820. Numerous other settlers also came to Otonabee in 1820 (approximately 23 men, some with families, some single). By 1825, 51 emigrant families, mainly from the south of Ireland, were added to the residents of Otonabee Township. These emigrants were some of the many emigrants led to Upper Canada by the Honourable Peter Robinson under the auspices of the British Government. In 1825, Dr. Gilchrist opened a grist mill and during the winter of 1829/1830, a general store was opened, both in the town of Keene. After the opening of the mill, there was an influx of settlers into the Otonabee region. By the 1861 census, the total population of Otonabee township was 4221, made up of the following nationalities: Irish (759), English (289), Scottish (412), American (37), Upper Canada (2684), Lower Canada (30), and other countries (10).
Scope and content
The fonds includes photocopies of the following items: Township Patent Book, 1820-1872, including the names of the grantees, lot purchased and dates as well as township/municipal election returns, and oaths of office for 1850. It also includes the correspondence of John Reid, township road surveyor, with elected officials and citizens, including maps, drawings etc.; township business papers, including receipts, taxation abatements, and school business; and Statute Labour lists and returns for the year 1850. Genealogical resource.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated by Mrs. Martha Kidd, of the Peterborough Historical Society.
The fonds have been arranged chronologically, according to subject and type of record.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Originals at Lang Century Village.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Other materials on Otonabee township may be found at Lang Century Village and the Keene Women's Institute.
For related records see: 69-001, 84-100, 78-010, 84-010, and 71-006.
1 Otonabee Township Patent Book 52 pages
2 Assorted papers, 1850; election returns, oaths of office 21 pages
3 Correspondence, map, drawings and receipts of Township officials, and of John Reid, Township surveyor; petitions re: road work, 12 pages
4 Business papers; school business, minutes taxation abatements, mostly 1850; sample pound note (animals impounded) 16 pages
5 Correspondence and petitions re: statute of labour, 1850 3 pages; returns divisions 1-10, 19 pages
6 Statute of Labour returns, divisions 11-15 and 17-20, 22 pages
7 Statute of Labour returns, divisions 21-29, 19 pages
8 Statute of Labour returns, divisions 30-39, 21 pages
The original units are housed at Peterborough Museum and Archives.