Title and statement of responsibility area
Mary Margaret McCulloch (Edison) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Fonds based on the creator of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
ca. 1967-2003 (Creation)
- Mary Margaret McCulloch (Edison)
Physical description area
30 cm of textual records
ca. 1850 slides
ca. 20 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Mary Margaret McCulloch (Edison) was born in Peterborough, Ontario, in 1912. Known to her family and friends as “Marnie,” she was the daughter of Dr. Joseph Malcom McCulloch and Etta McCulloch (nee Eager). McCulloch (Edison) attended Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational Institute and graduated in 1934 in "Moderns" from Trinity College, University of Toronto. She avidly supported the arts in Peterborough and funded a number of scholarships and awards for local secondary and post-secondary students attending educational institutions in the City. McCulloch (Edison) was involved in the cultural life of Peterborough, becoming a member and supporter of several clubs, organizations and venues: Peterborough Golf Club, University Women’s Club, Women’s Art Association, Showplace Peterborough and the Shakespeare Club. She was also a founding member of the Peterborough Theatre Guild and of a Peterborough Civic Affairs Study Group comprised of local women who took turns attending City council meetings; the Group is credited with smoothing a path for the election of the first three women to municipal government in Peterborough. McCulloch (Edison) enjoyed traveling and her many hundreds of slides attest to the places visited. McCulloch (Edison) married John G. Edison Q.C. in 1994; she died in Peterborough in 2003 at the age of 91. Her obituary, published in the Peterborough Examiner, 25 March 2003, describes McCulloch (Edison) as a “life long active participant, supporter and many times catalyst of art, culture, religious and educational pursuits in Peterborough.”
Mary Margaret McCulloch (Edison) and her parents were long-time contributors to Trent University. In 2001, they were honoured in a room-naming event held at the University’s Otonabee College. The plaque, hanging in Room 204, includes additional information about McCulloch (Edison) and reads as follows:
“This room is named in honour of Mrs. Margaret (McCulloch) Edison and her parents Dr. J. Malcolm and Mary Etta (Eager) McCulloch. Margaret Edison served as Private Secretary to the Director of Naval Intelligence, Division 3 in Ottawa. “Marnie” returned to Peterborough after the war and was the Deputy Local Registrar at the Peterborough Court House. The community and her church were enriched by her commitment to volunteer work. Dr. McCulloch was a public school principal and then became a medical doctor. He practiced for 59 years in Peterborough and was a founding member of the Peterborough Clinic. Mrs. McCulloch was a teacher. She and her husband were both actively involved in their church and the community.”
Fonds was in the custody of Peter Miller, a family relative of Mary Margaret McCulloch (Edison), before being donated to Trent University Archives in 2016 and 2020. Peter Miller’s mother, Lois Miller, a cousin and close friend of McCulloch (Edison), held the records before they were passed to her son, Peter.
Scope and content
Fonds is comprised of approximately 1850 slides taken by Mary Margaret McCulloch (Edison) pertaining to the Northwest Territories/Arctic region, western and eastern Canada, U.S.A. (particularly California), Australia, England, Peterborough, etc. Also included are miscellaneous photographs and textual items written about McCulloch (Edison) by various people.
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds acquired from Peter Miller in 2016 and 2020.
The boxes of slides were arranged by Archives personnel according to subject.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Note: Boxes 1 & 2 contain approximately 1850 slides in total.
SET 1: West coast and Northwest Territories/Arctic
- Given title: Pond and Dorset Extras. 23 slides.
- Given title: Bathurst Inlet and West Coast Kwaquitl and Charlottes and Yellowknife.
Some slides read: Prelude Lake. Cameron Falls. Prelude Lodge. Yukon Courthouse. Cambridge Bay. Window Falls. 30 slides.
- Given title: West Coast.
Some slides read: Darwin Sd. Robson Bight. Restoring totems from Skidegate. 41 slides.
- Given title: Yukon, North West Territories.
Some slides read: Yellowknife. Cambridge Bay. 14 slides.
- Given title: Anthony Island, Queen Charlotte.
Some slides read: Anthony beach. Thomas and Betty W. Lake Wabanum. 36 slides.
- Given title: Bathurst.
Some slides read: Trish and Nancy in parkas. Pyrola. PWA Cessna. Boyd trying to tempt bird from nest below. Ptarmigan. Glen. Reg. Aldy at Bear scratch. 20 slides.
- Given title: Kwaquitl II.
Some slides read: Diane at grandfather’s home – Skedans. Skedans beach. Rufus Moody home. Queen Charlotte museum – Skidegate. 8 slides.
- Given title: Kwaquitl I.
Some slides read: Passing lumbering at Campbell R. on way to Vancouver. Big house dancing Alert. Shore dinner – Gloria Webster Alert. Gloria Webster Alert Bay. U Mista Museum Alert. Ft. Rupert on Port Hardy. 7 slides.
- Given title: Bathurst.
Some slides read: Peter. Seal Skins. Caribou skin drying in front “Smelly” cache. B.I. Lodge. Lena and Husky pups. Lorraine 9 yrs with earrings – Bathurst Inlet. Playing Nuglugtak at B.I. Lodge. Jessie’s grandchildren. W.K. Boyd women. Bird Island. Franklin Mountains and Nahanni. Dead Man’s Gully and top Nahanni River. Travelling Y.K. to Whitehorse. Whitehorse airport. Jim Bennett stalking. 42 slides.
- Given title: Eureka and Tanquary.
Some slides read: Mount Sorrel. Bradley base. Devon Island. 24 slides.
- Given title: Pond- Igloolik Hall [ ].
Some slides read: Nanisivik. Tattoonick Sahoonik. RCMP. North West Territories building. Kalukton Bay on Robertson River. 44 slides.
- Some slides read: Eureka Bradley. King Christian Island Buildings. Mount Dural Pang. 35 slides.
- Given title: Igloolik and Pond.
Some slides read: Gander Bay. Gambo view of Bonavista Bay. Gander. Lockhead Hudson Memorial to Ferry Command. Captain Cook memorial 1763-67 survey. Cornerbrook houses Cobb Street. 39 slides.
- Given title: Cape Dorset.
Some slides read: Naomi. Kingnail Hotel. West Baffin co-op. 37 slides.
- Some slides read: Eureka – refueling storage tank. Willie Bob Johnson. Tanquary. 12 slides.
- Some slides read: Anthony Island. Skincuttle Island. Diane Anthony. 8 slides.
- Given title: Alert Bay, Cape and Fort Mudge, Robson Bight, Fort Rupert.
Some slides read: Kwaquitl Museum Cape Mudge. Petroglyph Cape Mudge. Jay Inglis – Cedar rat – Alert. U Mista Museum. Barbara with bull kelp. 45 slides.
- Given title: High arctic extras.
Some slides read: Jean Bain. Northern Ellesmere. Air terminal, Cape Dorset. Tanquary. Outside St. Judes. Franklin Graves on Beechy Island. Eureka. Tang. 40 slides.
- Given title: Vancouver to Whitehorse (mostly aerials). 41 slides.
- Given title: BC 1971. 30 slides.
- Some slides read: Rewakuitl Museum Cape Mudge. UBC. Darwin Sound. En route to BI lodge. Bell Reed carving. Anthony Island. Skidegate. 37 slides.
- Some slides read: Nanisivik Arctic Bay mine. Strathcona Sound. James Sound. Otto Glacier. Southern Ellesmere. Alert Point. 36 slides.
- Some slides read: Northern Ellesmere. Icecap. Quongat Beach. Cemetery at Hotel Nuuk. 17 slides.
- Given title: Greenland extras.
Some slides read: Signal Mt. Apt. House Nuuk. Cemetery near church Nuuk. 11 slides.
- Some slides read: UBC big house. Haida carving of a shaman in costume worn for healing. Totem – UBC. 7 slides.
- Some slides read: Bob in kitchen at Eureka. Pang airport. Narsaswag. 10 slides.
- Given title: Otto Fjord – Arctic Bay.
Some slides read: Teachers college Nuuk. En route to Qurqot. On Signal Mountain Norrasuag. 32 slides.
- Some slides read: Irene with catch. Lumbering. Darwin Sd. Echo Cove. Tanu. 9 slides.
- Some slides read: Church- Nuuk. Naomi with Noama Nuuk. View from hill Nuuk. 14 slides.
- Given title: 1967.
Some slides read: Arctic hare. Ellesmere. Axel Heiberg Island. Resolute. Eureka. 18 slides.
- Some slides read: Quonqot view. Norrasuag. Icecap. Pang. 47 slides.
- Some slides read: Betty B. Frob. Eric’s house Bratahled. Pang. Quonqot trip. 27 slides.
- Some slides read: Echo Cove kayak. Sea lion at M. Kooma. Beach at hot springs. Darwin Sd. 12 slides.
SET 2: “England 1977 – Jersey Sidbury”
- Given title: England 1977.
Some slides read: Bow Church. Near Barbican Plymouth. Cheltenham. The Abbey. Canada House. Canterbury. Guildhall. 33 slides.
- Given title: Jersey.
Some slides read: St. George’s Church. Gorey Castle. Laroque Bay mussel beds. Mrs. Orbard Samaras Manor. 25 slides.
- Some slides read: Yorkminster. Old hall – Gainsborough. Peterborough [UK]. Mrs. Graham. Epworth. 26 slides.
- Given title: Sidbury.
Some slides read: Sand manor near Sidbury. 20 slides.
SET 3: [Peterborough area]
- Given title: Trent University. 12 slides.
- Some slides read: Marmora Mining. Batterwood. Port Hope. 33 slides.
- Peterborough Museum slides. 5 slides.
SET 4: [North/Eastern Canada]
- Given title: Quebec . 24 slides.
- Given title: Silver Islet. 24 slides.
- Given title: Extras Lab.
Some slides read: Signal Hill. Coast north of St. John. Wabush mine. St. John harbor. Middle Cove. 28 slides.
- Given title: Newfoundland – rolls 1-3 extra.
Some slides read: Crawberry. St. Pierre. Salvage area, Holy Cross, Happy Adventure, Sandy Cove. Deer Lake from air. Grand Falls – Anglican Church. 39 slides.
- Given title: Danub. 33 slides.
- Given title: Rolls 4, 5, and 6 Newfoundland extras.
Some slides read: Regatta Day. Confederation Building. War memorial – St. Johns. 27 slides.
- Given title: St. Pierre.
Some slides read: Racing sailboats. St. Pierre cove. St. Pierre cemetery. Bureau de postes. Menil University building. 35 slides.
- Given title: Happy Valley – Wabush.
Some slides read: Frobisher. Sylvia Grinnel Park. St. Judes Cathedral. 26 slides.
- Given title: St. Johns.
Some slides read: Squid jigging site. John Cabot at Confederation Building. St. Johns city hall. Grand Bank seamans museum. Cathedral. 43 slides.
- Given title: Salvage.
Some slides read: Holy Cross Anglican Church Happy Adventure and Sandy Cove. Salvage fishermen. Sept Isles airport. 25 slides.
- Some slides read: Hamilton inlet Lab. Lab. City mall. Wabush Blvd. Goose Bay – Happy Valley airport. N.W. River. 48 slides.
SET 5: United States/California
- Given title: San Bernardino. 30 slides.
- Given title: San Jose. 20 slides.
- Given title: Monterey and Carmel. Seattle. 14 slides.
SET 6: Miscellaneous
- Given title: Canadian general views. 22 slides.
- Given title: Canadiana colour. 22 slides.
- Given title: Upper Canada Village. 25 slides.
- Given title: New England. 20 slides.
- Given title: Greenland. 51 slides.
- Given title: Blue Danub Austria. – Jap. 37 slides.
- Some slides read: Copenhagen. Madrid. Tivoli. Mount Rainier. Barcelona. 46 slides.
- No name slides. 10 slides.
- Miscellaneous loose slides. 30 slides.
SET 7: Australia
- Given title: Mt. Cook Queenstown Melford.
Some slides read: Chastise Falls Melford. St. Peters Queenstown. N.Z. house. Hangi Queenstown. 37 slides.
- Given title: N. Island to Tekapo.
Some slides read: Sheep N.Z. Lake Tekapo. Church of Good Shepherd Tekapo. Waiteka Thermal. 40 slides.
- Given title: Australia S.A. W.A. Canberra.
Some slides read: Melleep Beach. Canberra Parliament building. Swan River. St. Johns Canberra. 48 slides.
- Given title: Adelaide and SA.
Some slides read: Bottlebreesh. Queensland house. The Shaker and Tom Martin. Mick’s garden. 42 slides.
- Given title: Melbourne – The Rock.
Some slides read: Cadman’s cottage. The Olgas. Sydney Opera House. 43 slides.
- Photographs (20) & negatives: people and places unidentified
- Correspondence: letter dated 1989, Edgar Samuel to ‘Marnie’ Edison
- Travel notes, itinerary, brochures, postcards, correspondence, 1989, re trip(s) by McCulloch (Edison) to Japan, Hong Kong, etc.
- Letters, remembrances, newspaper clippings, etc. pertaining to McCulloch (Edison); these include documents re the naming of a room in McCulloch (Edison)’s honour at Trent University and information re awards established by her at various educational institutes in Peterborough, including at Trent University