Title and statement of responsibility area
Charles Foran fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the creator of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Charles Foran
Physical description area
1.5 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Charles Foran (1960- ) was born in Toronto, Ontario but has lived in Ireland, New York and China at various times. He was educated at St. Michaels College, University of Toronto and holds a Master's Degree from University College, Dublin. He is a novelist and non-fiction writer of international renown. He has been a regular contributor to Time, GQ, Saturday Night, Toronto Life, the Utne Reader, Canadian Geographic, Walrus, Globe and Mail, Rough Guide to World Music. His journalism pieces deal with sports, travel and literature. His novels include Sketches in Winter (1992), Kitchen Music (1994), The Last House of Ulster (1995), Butterfly Lovers (1997), The Story of My Life (So Far) (1998), House on Fire (2001), Carolan's Farewell (2005), Join the Revolution Comrade (2008), Mordecai: The Life and Times (2010). Foran won the Charles Taylor Prize for literary non-fiction for Mordecai in 2011. See also http://www.charlesforan.com.
Fonds was created by and in the hands of Charles Foran until donated to Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of correspondence, research materials and drafts of Charles Foran's books and articles. Correspondents include other novelists, journalists, poets and various publishers. Included in the fonds is professional correspondence, personal correspondence, research regarding Foran's M.A. thesis and publishing records.
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds was donated by Charles Foran in 2008.
The fonds has been arranged in the following series: Correspondence (personal), Correspondence (Professional), Literary Works: essays, newspaper pieces, journal articles, book reviews, unpublished manuscripts. Finally, each published novel has been arranged as a separate series.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Series "C" is restricted. Permission of the University Archives and of Charles Foran is required to view this series (boxes 16, 17 and 18).
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series A: Books: Manuscripts, Reviews and Drafts
"House on Fire"
"Sketches in Winter"
"Last House of Ulster"
"The Story of My Life (So Far)"
Series B: Literary Works, Stories, Articles, Poems
1 - 5: "Blind Mary"
6: "Esther Delisle"
7: "Chapel: Collection of Stories"
8: Early Stories and Poems, 1984-1987
9: Jameson - Gasman, Drafts 3
10: Jameson - Gasman Draft 2
11: Herbert Aquin project
12: "Bicycling in Beijing," "White Noise," "Rose Red: A Play by the Foran Family," and "Broken Glass."
- World Music
- Wild Cat; Bridge in the Rain; In Search of Tashi Dawa; Book reviews
- Carolan: A Window into 18th Century Ireland. 1983 essay; Guiness; Her Cousin Elizabeth; Dinner in Beijing
- Unpublished play: "Pure" 1998
- Articles 1998, 1999, 2000 for "Enroute"
- Lennox Lewis project, 1997
- Lise Bissonnette project, 1993
- Roddy Doyle project 1996 (Saturday Night)
- Book Reviews for Globe and Mail, Quill and Quire or Saturday Night.
- Robert Sawyer project, 1997. (Toronto Life).
- Montreal Series Workshop (Foran was a participant) 1991.
- Cui Jian project, 1999 (GQ)
- Cantopop Music project
- Montreal project
- Ron West, 1998-99. (GQ)
- "World's Worst Lovers" Hong Kong, 1998
- Tragically Hip, article, 1996. (Saturday Night).
- Dany Lafrerriere project, 1994.
- "Siege of Beijing" 1990.
- Rejean Ducharme, 1991
- Patrick Roy, 1995
- Myriam Bedard
- Parenting, 1994. (Saturday Night)
- "Kill the Wabbit"
10 David Bierk, 1997
- Canoes, 1999
- Scrooge; Can't Think for the Racket; A Boy's Christmas; Memoir; Ear to the Ground. (Saturday Night and Brick). All 1996.
- Marty McSorley, 2000
- "Commemoration." Tiananmen Square and the Montreal Massacre: 1989 and 1999.
- Miscellaneous (includes floppy disks - 5" and 3")
- Day Books and Address Books.
Series C: Personal, Correspondence, Photographs
CLOSED. SEE PERMISSION REQUIREMENTS (ABOVE)
Personal and professional correspondence dating from 1960s to 2001.