Title and statement of responsibility area
Romaine's Map of the Town of Peterborough and Village of Ashburnham / Robert Romaine
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the published title of the item.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Romaine's Map of the Town of Peterborough and Village of Ashburnham / Robert Romaine
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Robert Romaine, along with two brother-in-laws, established the Peterborough Review in 1853 in Peterborough, Ontario. Romaine was editor and publisher at the "Review" until 1864. In 1853 he also wrote a paper on the subject of ploughing and pulverizing by steam power, and in 1868 became the first librarian of the Peterborough Mechanics Institute, the forerunner to the Peterborough Public Library. In 1870, he headed, along with others, a gas company which introduced the first gas street lights to the city. In 1877 he was a member of a committee which was appointed to look at possibilities for a waterworks system for the city of Peterborough.
This item was in the custody of Peterborough Museum and Archives before it was donated to Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
Item is a map entitled Romaine's Map of the Town of Peterborough and Village of Ashburnham. It is "Compiled from Registered Plans and Actual Surveys", and is "Published by Robert Romaine, at the Office of the "Peterborough Review", Peterborough, Ont., 1875". Further description follows: scale equals 4 chains to 1 inch, size 164.5cm x 116cm, original, mounted on linen, laminated, 1875.
The map is very fragile. Handle with care.
Immediate source of acquisition
This item was donated by Peterborough Museum and Archives.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
For related records see: 93-008
This map is rolled, and is located on top of the Maps Cabinet.