Title and statement of responsibility area
YMCA Camp Wangoma: history and newsletters
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- YMCA Camp Wangoma
Physical description area
1 folder of textual records
14 digital files (Word documents, 583 KB)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Camp Wangoma was an overnight camp operated by East York YMCA and the Toronto Y Camping Services from 1956-1973. The Camp operated in the Madawaska Highlands thirty minutes east of Bancroft, just south of McArthur’s Mills on the north end of Wanamaker Lake. The history of the camp started in 1919 with Sunfish Camp on Sunfish Island run by Toronto Central YMCA. Due to the building of the Island Airport on Hanlan’s Point the residents of Hanlan's Point were moved to Sunfish Island (Olympic Island) in 1934. Sunfish Camp moved to a site south of Barrie on west side of Lake Simcoe operated by East York YMCA.
Due to the growth of the population on Lake Simcoe, the Y decided to move the Camp in 1955 to a former Private Camp on Lake Catchacoma. They rented the Camp for 1955 and the Camp was called Camp Woapka. The East York Y Camp Committee found during that time the site for Camp Wangoma which is the present day, Cedar Ridge Camp. The Camp started in 1956 and ran until 1973. As an Outdoor Education Centre, it ran from 1974-1978.
The Camp was sold in 1980 to the Pentecostal Church in Bancroft affiliated with the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada). They ran Nature Land Bible Camp. In December 2005, the Bible Camp was sold to today’s owners of Cedar Ridge Camp which has been in operation for sixteen years.
Scope and content
File consists of material compiled for a project on the history of Camp Wangoma, including 12 editions of a newsletter, "Wangomatters - 50 years - Before the Memories Fade" and a written history of the camp. Files are available in both paper and digital form.
Immediate source of acquisition
Material was donated by Alf Grigg, a YMCA Camp Wangoma alumni member. Files were submitted as Word documents on a USB drive and were transferred to digital storage and printed and filed.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The first edition of the newsletter includes a link to a YouTube video about Camp Wangoma. The fourth edition includes a link to Flickr albums containing 749 photographs of Camp Wangoma.
Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/camp_wangoma_alumni/albums/with/72177720303507387