Showing 903 results

People, Organizations, and Families

Cobourg, Ontario Commemorative Ribbons

  • Corporate body

Cobourg is located in Hamilton Township, in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham, on the north shore of Lake Ontario. The area was first settled in 1798 by Elias Nicholson who built his home within the limits of what was to become the town plot. Originally called Amherst, Cobourg has also been known by the names of Hamilton and Hardscrabble. In 1819, the developing town was given the name Cobourg. It was incorporated as a village in 1837 and incorporated as a town in 1850. (taken from "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, Ontario." Belleville: Mika Silk Screening Ltd., 1972.)

Cobourg, Ontario: fire insurance plan / Underwriters' Survey Bureau

  • Corporate body

The Charles E. Goad map making company was established in Montreal, Quebec, in 1875. In its business of creating fire insurance plans, the Charles E. Goad map making company was the most comprehensive company in its coverage of Canada. By 1885, the company was firmly established in Canada and by 1910, Goad and his surveyors had created fire insurance plans for more than 1300 Canadian communities. When Charles E. Goad died that same year, the Company was taken over by his three sons, who continued to run the business under the name Chas. E. Goad Company. In 1911 an agreement was reached between the Chas. E. Goad Company and the Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association, by which the Goad Company was to create and revise plans for the Association exclusively. The Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association was founded in 1883 for the purpose of standardizing fire insurance rules. This agreement ended in 1917, and in 1918, the Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association established its own plan making department. It was named the Underwriters' Survey Bureau Limited. At the same time, the Bureau acquired the exclusive rights from the Chas. E. Goad Company to revise and reprint the Goad plans. The Goad Company, which continued to exist until 1930, stopped producing fire insurance plans. In March 1931, the Underwriters' Survey Bureau purchased all of the assets of the Chas. E. Goad Company, including copyright. The Underwriters' Survey Bureau continued to produce fire insurance plans for the cities and towns in Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes. The Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association remained responsible for the production of plans in the western provinces and the B.C. Underwriters' Association was responsible for plans in British Columbia. In 1960, these regional operations were amalgamated with the production of plans under the centralized Plan Division of the Canadian Underwriters' Association. In 1975, the Association changed its name to the Insurer's Advisory Organization, and at the same time, decided to cease fire insurance plan production and sell all plan inventory. This was the end of 100 years of continuous fire insurance plan production in Canada. (Taken from: Hayward, Robert J. "Fire Insurance Plans in the National Map Collection." Ottawa: Public Archives of Canada, 1977.)

Cobourg-Peterborough Rail Road Company

  • Corporate body

The Cobourg-Peterborough Railway Company was incorporated on November 11, 1852. Its purpose was to build a steam railway between the two cities, a distance of twenty-five miles interrupted by the waters of Rice Lake. This necessitated the building of a trestle nearly three miles long to carry the railway between the north and south banks of the lake. The citizens of Cobourg subscribed 125,000 pounds of the project. The construction contract was placed with Samuel Zimmerman and the first sod was turned on February 9, 1853. The first fifteen miles of the line were opened for traffic on May 19, 1854, and on November 15 of the same year, the Rice Lake Bridge was completed. The railway finally reached Peterborough on December 29, 1854. Unfortunately, during the winter, ice jams shook the flimsy Rice Lake bridge and by 1861 had destroyed it. Money difficulties, caused by expensive maintenance of the line and the rivalry of the Peterborough-Port Hope Railway which opened in August 1858 and took most of the Peterborough traffic, led the Company to the mineral industry in Marmora for financial assistance. In 1865, it was authorized to merge with the Marmora Iron Works on the August 15, 1866, and this alliance led to the incorporation of the Cobourg, Peterborough, Marmora Railway and Mining company. This arrangement was successful for only a short period of time. By 1883 the Company was once again losing money, In May 1886, the bondholders took action and the railway and its rolling stock were sold to Mr. T.P. Pearce. In June 1887, the Cobourg, Blairton, and Marmora Railway and Mining Company was incorporated and took over the residual assets of the previous company. Before the Railway could be put into operation the Grand Trunk Railway assumed control and the Company finally disappeared in the general almagamation of the Grand Trunk short lines on April 1, 1893. The Grand Trunk Railway was in turn acquired by the Canadian National Railway in 1923.

Colborne, Ontario: fire insurance plan / Underwritiers' Survey Bureau.

  • Corporate body

The Charles E. Goad map making company was established in Montreal, Quebec, in 1875. In its business of creating fire insurance plans, the Charles E. Goad map making company was the most comprehensive company in its coverage of Canada. By 1885, the company was firmly established in Canada and by 1910, Goad and his surveyors had created fire insurance plans for more than 1300 Canadian communities. When Charles E. Goad died that same year, the company was taken over by his three sons, who continued to run the business under the name Chas. E. Goad Company. In 1911 an agreement was reached between the Chas. E. Goad Company and the Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association, by which the Goad Company was to create and revise plans for the Association exclusively. The Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association was founded in 1883 for the purpose of standardizing fire insurance rules. This agreement ended in 1917, and in 1918, the Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association established its own plan making department. It was named the Underwriters' Survey Bureau Limited. At the same time, the Bureau acquired the exclusive rights from the Chas. E. Goad Company to revise and reprint the Goad plans. The Goad Company, which continued to exist until 1930, stopped producing fire insurance plans. In March 1931, the Underwriters' Survey Bureau purchased all of the assets of the Chas. E. Goad Company, including copyright. The Underwriters' Survey Bureau continued to produce fire insurance plans for the cities and towns in Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes. The Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association remained responsible for the production of plans in the western provinces and the B.C. Underwriters' Association was responsible for plans in British Columbia. In 1960, these regional operations were amalgamated with the production of plans under the centralized Plan Division of the Canadian Underwriters' Association. In 1975, the Association changed its name to the Insurer's Advisory Organization, and at the same time, decided to cease fire insurance plan production and sell all plan inventory. This was the end of 100 years of continuous fire insurance plan production in Canada. (Taken from: Hayward, Robert J. "Fire Insurance Plans in the National Map Collection." Ottawa: Public Archives of Canada, 1977.)

Collect in the Kawarthas.

  • Corporate body

Collect in the Kawarthas was written by Doris Unitt wife of Peter Unitt. The family operated an antique store for a number of years in Lakefield, Ontario and Dominic (Nick) Unitt drew maps of Ontario dealers in the area for collectors to visit. Mrs. Unitt wrote the first book of "Collect" in 1965 as a guide for visitors and friends in the area to indulge in their hobbies of collecting. She did not compile the book to "provide a price guide, nor write learnedly of antiques, curios or collectors items but to tell of people met, places visited and things found." (Intro. Collect in the Kawarthas.)

Collins, Gammon fonds

  • Family

The Collins and Gammon families are descendents of Thomas Alexander Stewart and Frances Stewart, Irish immigrants who arrived in the Peterborough area in 1822.

Commission on Canadian Studies

  • Corporate body

The Commission on Canadian Studies was established in 1972 by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC). As stated in the introduction of "To Know Ourselves" (the Commission's report), the Commission: "was prompted by the growing interest in Canadian Studies at Canadian Universities...the Commission intended to assist the discussion and to further the development of studies related to Canada by providing accurate information about the present state of teaching and research in this area, and by directing attention to the possibilities of and needs for new programmes in the future." The Commission was to study, report and make recommendations about the state of teaching and research relating to Canadian Studies. The Commission defined Canadian Studies teaching or research in any field that promoted knowledge about Canada. The accomplishments of the Commission were extensive. Through public hearings, submitted briefs, surveys, questionnaires, meetings with representatives from educational institutions, government agencies, professional and academic societies, the Commission prompted considerable response. T.H.B. Symons was Chairman of the Commission.

Community Counselling & Resource Centre

  • Corporate body

The Community Counselling & Resource Centre is a non-profit community-based agency that services the City and County of Peterborough, Ontario. It offers six services: Community Counselling, Community Service Order Program, Credit Counselling Services, Housing Resource Centre, Employee Assistance Program, and Public Education and Advocacy. Its founding agencies were created in 1956 when the Catholic Social Service Bureau was established and in 1971 when Volunteers and Information Peterborough was formed. (Information taken from the CCRC web site, 31 May 2010).

Conference on the State of English Language Publishing in Canada

  • Corporate body

The Conference on the State of English Language Publishing in Canada was sponsored by Trent University's Cultural Studies Program. Held in 1975 at the University on January 24 and 25 it had writers, teachers, publishers and librarians who attended, presented and discussed papers on a variety of subjects. Each delegate at the conference was assigned a student as a guide and host. Secretary of State, Hugh Faulkner gave the opening address and speech to the delegates. Out of the conference was the founding of the Canadian Book and Periodical Development Council. (Taken from: Cole, A.O.C. "Trent the Making of a University, 1957-1987." Trent University, 1992.)

Cooper & Beatty, Limited

  • Corporate body

Cooper & Beatty, Limited was founded in 1921 by E. Cooper, L. Beatty and J.L. Pepper using the name Trade Composition Company. When Pepper left in 1926 the company was renamed to Cooper & Beatty. Until the Second World War it was essentially a trade typesetting company. In 1950 W.E. "Jack" Trevett acquired the company. Trevett shifted the focus to graphic design, for which Cooper & Beatty became known as one of the leading companies in the field. In 1964 the Trent University crest, as well as Trent's stationary and publications, were designed by Cooper & Beatty's designer, A. Crawford. In 1986 the company was sold to Jannock Corporation and although greatly reduced in size today, continues to operate under the name of Cooper & Beatty Services Ltd.

Cornwall Municipal Board of Health

  • Corporate body

The Municipal Boards of Health were answerable to the Provincial and Secretaries' Offices of Upper Canada and Canada West.

Council of Ontario Universities

  • Corporate body

The Council of Ontario Universities was formed December 3, 1962 with the original name of the "Committee of Presidents of Provincially Assisted Universities and Colleges of Ontario". A formal constitution was first adopted December 9, 1966 under the name of "Committee of President of Universities of Ontario/Comite des Presidents d'Universite de l'Ontario". The constitution was amended on January 18, 1968; April 26, 1968; March 13, 1970 and April 16, 1971 at which point the name of the governing body was changed to the Council of Ontario Universities/Conseil des Universites de l'Ontario (effective May 1, 1971). The objectives of the Council are to promote cooperation among the provincially assisted universities of Ontario, and between them and the Government of the Province to work for the improvement of higher education for the people of Ontario. The people who are eligible to sit on the Council or belong to the membership are executive heads of provincially assisted universities in Ontario which grant university degrees (one colleague, elected to membership by the senior academic body of each institution). Other organizations and associations may be affliated with the council. The Council meets a minimum of twice a year and any committees formed through the Council meet when necessary. (Taken from: "Council of Ontario Universities Review 1975-76 to 1977-78 An Uncertain Future." Toronto.)

County and township proceedings, minutes and financial statements

  • Corporate body

County and township proceedings, minutes and financial statements are usually produced approximately once a year in a published format. They are distributed to citizens who want an accounting of the county and township councils activities and expenditures.

Cramahe and Haldimand Female Tract Society

  • Corporate body

The Cramahe and Haldimand Female Tract Society was a religious tract society situated in the Townships of Cramahe and Haldimand of Upper Canada.

Cramahe Township

  • Corporate body

Cramahe Township, located in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham, is bounded on the north by Percy Township, on the south by Lake Ontario, on the east by Brighton Township, and on the west by Halimand Township. Joseph Keeler was the first settler to the Cramahe Township region, coming from Rutland, Vermont, about 1789. In 1793, Keeler brought 40 settlers to the area and built a saw mill, a grist mill, a carding and woolen mill, an oil well and a distillery, all located near the mouth of Keeler's Creek, which was later to become Port Colborne. Joseph Keeler's son, Jospeh A. Keeler was the founder of the village of Colborne, which was later incorporated in 1859. Joseph A. was a merchant, postmaster and Justice of the Peace. Overall, like his father, Joseph A. was an extremely important member of the growing community. In 1815, the post office was established in Colborne. Lumber and grain were the chief exports of Cramahe Township. Two wharves, located at Port Colborne and Port Cramahe, provided links for the transportion of goods to the United States. By 1861, the population had grown to 3,041 made up largely of Native Peoples. The remainder of the population were settlers of English, Irish, Scottish, and American origin.

Crawford’s Grove Chapter I.O.D.E.

  • Corporate body

The Crawford’s Grove Chapter of the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire in Peterborough, Ontario, began on 9 December 1957. Mrs L.V. Hearn gathered a group of women in her home to discuss the idea of beginning the IODE Chapter. The IODE Chapter was officially sworn in on 26 February 1958 in the Green Room of the local YWCA. The members of the IODE dedicated their time to supporting education within the community and abroad, providing food and goods to charity events, and assisting in fundraisers throughout the city. The information regarding the first 25 years of service of the IODE was provided by a document in the record written by Archivist, Jane Porter.

C.W. Hedley

  • Person

Reverend C.W. Hedley was a minister who was serving in Peterborough, Ontario in 1895 and 1896. Some of his time as minister was served at the Otonabee mission.

Cyril Greenland

  • Person

Cyril Greenland, Ph.D., is employed at the Museum of Mental Health Services (Toronto), Inc. He had previously been with the Clarke Institute of Psychiatry in Toronto, and the Department of Health, Parliament Buildings, Toronto. He and his family were personal friends of Blodwen Davies.

David Brown

  • Person

David Brown was a teacher and collector of historical documents and books who resided in Hamilton, Ontario.

David Carley

  • Person

David Carley was born in Peterborough, Ontario in 1955 and educated at Trent University and Queen's University Law School. He was editor of the Kawartha Sun newspaper from 1981-1982 and is currently an editor at Scirocco Press. He is a playwright whose work has been staged internationally. His plays include: Susanna, Sister Jude, Writing With Our Feet, Into, After You, A View From the Roof, Losing Paradise (edited), Taking Liberties, South on Bay, Vanishing Point and many others. He was formerly drama editor for the CBC show "Morningside," editor of Stereodrama, and is now senior script editor for CBC Radio Performance. See also Dave Carley's website.

David Forbes

  • Person

David Forbes, born January 13, 1772, was a Colonel with the 78th Highlanders in the British Army. He joined the army as an ensign in 1793 and one year later he was promoted to Lieutenant. He fought in battles in the Netherlands, Africa, India and Malaysia. He was promoted to Captain in 1803, Major in 1811 and Lieutenant-Colonel in 1814. In 1817 he went on half pay and returned to Scotland, settling in Aberdeen. On January 10, 1837, he was promoted to Colonel, in 1838 made a C.B., and in 1846 promoted to Major General. He died on March 29, 1849. (Taken from: Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford: Oxford University Press.)

David Kettler

  • Person

Professor David Kettler received his M.A. and Ph.D. from Columbia University. He began teaching Political Studies at Trent University in 1971. During his tenure, Kettler was instrumental in setting up the Social Theory program. He was on the Julian Blackburn College Academic Advisory Board from 1976 to 1979. In 1987 he began teaching Cultural Studies. He retired from Trent in 1991.

David Macmillan

  • Person

David Stirling Macmillan was born 9 October 1925 in Scotland. He received his Masters degree from Glasgow, Scotland and his Ph.D. from Sydney, Australia. He was archivist at University of Sydney from 1954 to 1968 and left Australia in 1968 to come to Trent University. Before he came to Trent he had been named a Fellow of the Royal Australian History Society. He was a Trent University professor for 20 years where he taught History from 1968 to 1987, with courses such as the Expansion of Europe, 1400-1825 and Russian History as well as, his specialty, Business and Economic History. He also taught some evening courses at Durham College in Oshawa for Trent. After a lengthy illness David Stirling Macmillan died 4 September 1987.

Results 151 to 175 of 903