Collection 82-1000 - Temagami (Ontario) photographic collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Temagami (Ontario) photographic collection

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the collection.

    Level of description


    Reference code


    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area


    • 1924-1974 (Creation)
      Temagami (Ontario)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    72 photographs

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    The Community of Temagami (formerly Timagami) in the geographic township of Strathy is located at the tip of the Northeast Arm of Lake Temagami about 60 miles north of North Bay. Prior to the arrival of the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (now Ontario Northland) the area was primarily an Indian settlement. Its inhabitants were trading at one of the Hudson's Bay Company's outposts, first situated on the south shore of Temagami Island, and moved in the 1870s to Bear Island. By the mid 1900s Temagami had become the centre of a popular tourist region with daily boat and seaplane service in the summer months to remote resorts on the lake. About that time copper was discovered on some of the lake's islands and by the late 1960s a large iron mining complex was taking shape a few miles to the north of Temagami. Today, Temagami is best known as a site of protest against the forestry industry. (Taken partially from: Mika, Nick and Helma. Places in Ontario. Belleville: Mika Publishing Company,1983.)

    Custodial history

    This collection was created by Ruth Snider and Professor Bruce Hodgins in 1976. They collected and duplicated photographs from a variety of sources. Duplicate photographs were acquired from Robert Ramay and the Camp Keewaydin collection. As well duplicate photographs were made from a booklet called "The Temagami Region," 1906, which is in the possession of Mrs. Carol Bangay, granddaughter of A.L. Cochrane, founder of Camp Temagami. Colour photo duplicates were received from Professor John Hyde of Williams College, Massachusetts, who was a summer resident of Lake Temagami. In 1982, two more original photographs were received from Don Huff, a Trent University Student.

    Scope and content

    This collection consists of original and duplicate photographs of Lake Temagami, Camp Wanapitei, Camp Keewaydin, Camp Temagami and Lady Evelyn Lake.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    This photograph collection was donated by Professor Bruce Hodgins of Trent University.


    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access


        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Associated materials

        For related records see: Wanapitei-Hodgins fonds.

        Related materials


        General note

        Box 1

        Twenty 8.5 X 12.5 cm black and white duplicate photos, mostly acquired from Robert Ramay and the Camp Keewaydin collection; they are undated and only partially identified; the 37 12.5 X 17.5 cm black and white duplicate photos are from a booklet called The Temagami Region

        Thirteen colour reproductions, 8.5 X 12.5 cm, labelled, taken between 1948 and 1974 by Professor John Hyde of William College, Massachusetts

        Included in the collection are two later acquired photos from Don Huff, a 4th year student at Trent University, in 1982; they are both 8.5 X 12.5 cm and show Lady Evelyn Lake, 1928

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Language of description

          Script of description


            Accession area