Title and statement of responsibility area
Orange Lodge. Col. Sanderson Loyal Orange Lodge No. 321 minute books fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the organization which created the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Orange Lodge. Col. Sanderson Loyal Orange Lodge No. 321
Physical description area
5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1795, the Protestant Orange Order was formed at Loughgall, County Armagh, Ireland, to commemorate the victory of William of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. The immediate aim of the Orange Order was to protect the local Protestant community from Catholic aggression, but the organization quickly assumed the larger role of defending the Protestant Ascendency in the Government of Ireland. Within the next five years, Orange Lodges had sprung up across the Protestant sectors of Ireland and in the industrial centres of England. As well, the movement had spread across the Atlantic with the emigration of Irish settlers. The first Grand Lodge of British North America was founded in Brockville, Upper Canada, January 1, 1830, by Ogle R. Gowan. By 1835, there were 154 Orange Lodges in British North America. Orangeism had arrived in Upper Canada at the beginning of the 19th century, but the history of the Orange Order is unclear until 1830. For many pioneer men, the Orange Lodge was more of a social organization than a religious organization. It was not necessary, as it was in Ireland, for the lodge to act in a protective manner against the aggression of Catholics. The Orange Lodge provided its members with a sense of fraternity, loyalty, convivality, identity, and continuity. This was important to the early pioneers who had settled in the region, as feelings of isolation and dislocation were common. Orangemen had pass words and secret signs of recognition for each other. Also, an Orangeman could advance through several levels based on his stature and competence within the organization: the Orange, the Blue, the Royal Arch Purple, the Scarlet, and the Black Knight. Orange Lodges were quickly established in the Peterborough region between 1830 and 1833 due to the settlement of large numbers of Irish Protestant emigrants. Later, the British and Scottish settlers in the region would join the lodge. Orangeism remained strong in Ontario over the following 160 years, and in the City of Peterborough, an Orange Hall still exists. (Taken from: Houston, Cecil J. and William Smyth. The Sash Canada Wore. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1980.)
This fonds was in the custody of Vernon Nelson until it was donated to the Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of minute books of the Loyal Orange Lodge No. 321 Downers Corners, Otonabee Township. Included are: 1) Minutes of the Royal Blue, Royal Purple, and Royal Arch Purple degree meetings, May 1914-August 1920; 2) Minutes of the Royal Blue degree meetings, October 1921-July 1923, and October 1940-April 1949; 3) Minutes of regular meetings July 1949-December 1952; 4) Minutes of regular meetings, April 1953-March 1955.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated by Mr. Vernon Nelson of Peterborough, Ontario.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated materials located at Archives of Ontario and Peterborough Museum and Archives.
For related records see: 73-1002, 74-021, 76-001, 77-006 to 77-009, 77-013, 77-015 to 77-017, 93-010, 94-014, 95-007 and 96-005.