Title and statement of responsibility area
Katharine Hooke fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the donor of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1861-1934; 1999 (Creation)
- Katharine Hooke
Physical description area
12 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Katharine Hooke (nee Grier) was born in 1932. She married Harry G. Hooke (1930-2013) in 1954 and they had two children. The family moved to Peterborough, Ontario in 1961 and spent summer vacations at nearby Stoney Lake. Harry (Hal) Hooke became director of part-time students at Trent University. Katharine Hooke served on the board of trustees of the Canadian Canoe Museum and has received Civic Awards for her volunteer work in Peterborough. She is a researcher and writer of local history and is the author of a number of publications: St. Peter’s on-the-Rock, Stony Lake, Ontario: seventy-five years of service (1989); From campsite to cottage: early Stoney Lake (1992); From Burleigh to Boschink: a community called Stony Lake (co-written with Christie Bentham, 2000); The Peterborough Club chronicle (compiled by Niklas Rishor, Danielle Allen, edited by Katharine Hooke, 2009). Hooke is the niece of the late explorer, George Mellis Douglas (1875-1963) of Northcote Farm, Lakefield, Ontario.
Fonds was in the custody of Katharine Hooke before being donated to Trent University Archives in 2015. The legal documents and the Katchewanooka Herald materials were once owned by George Douglas. The Sizergh Castle materials came into the possession of Hooke through Donald Ross who was instrumental in arranging for Douglas’s Northcote Farm to be donated to Lakefield College School. The Bible once belonged to Carol Winter. A more fulsome explanation of provenance as well as historical information provided by Hooke about Douglas is available in the donor file.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of historical materials pertaining to the Lakefield, Ontario area: land records, a transcription of the Katchewanooka Herald (1855-1859), Strickland family genealogy, and a family Bible which belonged to Helen S. Wallis.
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds acquired via Katharine Hooke in 2015.
Fonds arranged in folders as received.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
Note: included in this folder are notes compiled by Janice Millard regarding the various names which occur: Sherwood, Carnegie, Wigg, Strickland, Caddy and Thompson. Related materials are located in the Hall Gillespie fonds (94-001 Box 18 Case No. 95), Trent University Archives.
- Indenture of bargain and sale: Mark Burnham et ux to John Percy Strickland, 18 April 1861. Land is in Smith Township.
- Indenture of bargain and sale: John Percy Strickland to John Higginson, 19 April 1861. Land is in Smith Township.
- Letter: Samuel Strickland and Robert Dennistoun Esquires from J. Percy Strickland and Susan Sarah Strickland, 30 June 1862. Samuel Strickland and Robert Dennistoun were acting as local attorneys for Joseph Sherwood and Carr Wigg who lived in England and who were trustees of the marriage settlement of Susan Sherwood and J. Percy Strickland. Refers to Lot no. 28 in Douro Township. Mentions land deeded for the purpose of a cite [sic] for a Church and Parsonage.
- Indenture of bargain and sale: Kivas Tully et ux to Joseph Sherwood and Carr Wigg, 30 June 1862. Land is in Smith Township.
- Indenture of bargain and sale: John Percy Strickland et ux to Joseph Sherwood and Carr Wigg, 1 December 1864. Attached is a letter dated 30 November 1864 to Samuel Strickland and Robert Dennistoun Esquires from John Percy Strickland and Susan Sarah Strickland. Refers to land sold to John Higginson.
- Deed of land: James Allen and James Maclennan to John Percy Strickland, 28 May 1868. Robert Russell Baldwin of Toronto signed for James Maclennan and William C. Lewis signed for execution of document for James Allen. Maclennan lived in Clermont, Fayette County, Iowa. Land is in Smith Township.
- Deed of land: J.P. Strickland et ux to [Joseph] Sherwood and [Carr] Wigg, 1 July 1868. Land is in Lakefield, Ontario.
- Mortgage: J.P. Strickland et ux to Carr Wigg, 27 January 1898. Land is in Lakefield, Ontario.
- Mortgage: Margaret Steinman to Nancy M.C.M. Plato, 3 January 1901. Land is in the Township of Bertie, Welland County, Ontario.
- Deed of land: Robert Duff to Clarence M. Duff, 15 January 1934. Land is in Lakefield, Ontario.
- Document re the estate of J.P. Strickland, 2 November 1909.
Strickland family genealogy
- Undated handwritten note entitled “Interim Report” on stationery with heading “Boynton Hall, Bridlington, East Yorkshire”. Report is on the family of Samuel Strickland. One branch of the family once lived in Boynton Hall. Signed Richard Marriott.
- Handwritten letter on Boynton Hall letterhead dated 9 August 1999, written to “my dear Gretchen & Donald” from Richard Marriott. Mentions that he is sending a book on the Strickland genealogy. Transcript of letter included.
- Book: Sizergh Castle, Westmorland, and notes on twenty-five generations of the Strickland Family / compiled by The Lady Edeline Strickland. (Highgate, Kendal, T. Wilson, 1898)
Folders 3 & 4.
Katchewanooka Herald, 1855-1859
Typed transcription (by George Douglas) of Lakefield, Ontario’s handwritten Katchewanooka Herald; the transcription includes notes by Douglas which provide context for the newspaper articles and hand-coloured copy illustrations which have been glued in. Also included is a copy photograph titled “F.H. Darcy’s House”; it is of people standing in front of a house. Darcy is known to have been one of the editors of the Herald.
Note to researchers: the original issues of the Katchewanooka Herald, including the original illustrations, are located in the Katchewanooka Herald fonds (83-004), Trent University Archives. Links to digitized transcriptions of the issues of the Herald, as well as links to facsimiles of the original newspaper pages, are available through the above link.
Loose in box:
Family Bible: The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments … to be read in Churches. London: printed by George E. Eyre and William Spottiswoode for the British and Foreign Bible Society, 1864.
Dedication: “[To] Helen S. Wallis with kindest love from T. M and J. [K?] Fairbairn, 29 March 1867”.
Note: loosely inserted in the Bible is an explanatory note compiled by Janice Millard which includes genealogical information on Helen S. Wallis and her family relations.
Contents included in the Bible:
- Genealogy of the Wallis, Roger, Collins and Winter families written in the Bible.
- Newspaper clipping: “A History of St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church, Peterborough”, Peterboro Review, Monday, 2 May 1910. The first minister in 1835 was the Rev. John Morris Roger. Pasted into the Bible.
- Two religious bookmarks
- Newspaper clipping supporting the idea of evolution. Mentions the case in Tennessee (State of Tennessee vs John Thomas Scopes, July 1925).
- Newspaper clipping entitled: “The Legitimacy of Doubt” by S.G. Bland.
- Document, one side of which is a school report card for Helen Roger, London, [Ontario], 28 February , and on the verso is an outline for a church service.
- A paper dated Monday, 3 March 1887, for the Women’s Foreign Missionary Society of London, [Ontario] Presbytery Annual Meeting.
- A paper with notes on scripture.
Also, located in Trent Cabinet - Drawer 10:
Large group photograph titled "Trent University First Summer Session 1968"